Whited00r: keeping a first generation iPhone up to date

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Is anyone else here using this tool to get "4.2"-era features on their 3.1.3 version 1 iPhones? Info can be found here:

http://www.whited00r.com

I did it yesterday and so far so good.

I had to use a program called iTunes Restore Error Bypasser (iREB) to get past the 1604 error I'd get trying to restore the custom firmware in iTunes.

It includes full unlock

After that, I had some issues with some Cydia apps installing correctly, but have since sorted that out (try a couple hard reboots before trying anything drastic). It still shows up as 3.1.3, but has many advanced features (like tap to focus on the V1 camera, springboard wallpaper, folders) Multitasking seems hit-or-miss. I'm going to experiment a bit with backgrounder.

Overall, though, a fun way to breath some life into a V1 phone. Anyone else willing to take the plunge?

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
I would have but I sold my 2G. That looks pretty decent, though. That iPhone is really slow, however, so I am wondering how slow it is with those advanced features you're talking about running?

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
It's probably because the firmware has been stripped of all the crap that's not needed. I'm going to SSH into my iPhone 4 soon and delete all the langauges etc.
I'd be glad to embark on that adventure with you. I'd like to strip my iPhone of all the unnecessary stuff on it as well to speed it up. The only langauges I use are English and Arabic.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
You guys turn off unnecessary spotlight search results, right? All I'm ever interested in is contacts, apps, and music.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Wait, no? I did not turn it off even though I never have and probably never will use it. How do I go about doing that? Can it be done in the settings or do I have to SSH?

By the way, I am asking instead of trying because I am downloading a large sized theme and can't access the settings at the moment.