Who else has done this?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

SpongebObiWan

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
So, after several months of using your iPhone exclusively, you have occasion to use another phone briefly for whatever reason. In my case, I still have my Motorola Razr, which is still in service with U.S. Cellular (at first I wanted to keep it in service as a backup phone, but now after almost 5 months, I just haven't gotten around to cancelling my 2-year contract on it which still has over a year to go..haha).

So, you pick up the other phone, you see icons on the screen, and you touch them, expecting something to happen. You may even touch or push them TWICE, still not knowing why something isn't happening.

Then, it dawns on you, "Oh, this isn't my iPhone. I have to push a button somewhere." :p

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
On the 9th of November every year I shall perform a ceremonial Stylus Snapping.

A stylus shall be snapped and a hard surface shall be tapped lightly with the forefinger to mark the occasion.

kimirike

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
No I've never done that but I always get annoyed with little screens, it seems so little! Although when people play with my iPhone they always look to me to see how it works. I
them: wow how does it work?
me: like a touch screen
them:where's the stylus?
me: there is no stylus
them; then how do you do you touch it?
me: with my fingers just push the icon
them; really? how?
me (by this point frustrated): with magic
them: huh really?
me: *facepalm*

yup actual conversation folks! some people just don't get it.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
No I've never done that but I always get annoyed with little screens, it seems so little! Although when people play with my iPhone they always look to me to see how it works. I
them: wow how does it work?
me: like a touch screen
them:where's the stylus?
me: there is no stylus
them; then how do you do you touch it?
me: with my fingers just push the icon
them; really? how?
me (by this point frustrated): with magic
them: huh really?
me: *facepalm*

yup actual conversation folks! some people just don't get it.
You should try demonstrating how to enlarge a web page using your nose and your tongue. It works a treat. I sometimes have to use my phone one handed, and this seemed like a good idea at the time.

kimirike

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
You should try demonstrating how to enlarge a web page using your nose and your tongue. It works a treat. I sometimes have to use my phone one handed, and this seemed like a good idea at the time.
yeah i think that licking my iPhone would wouldn't do much in proving how functional it is, might have the reverse effect.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I've used several friend's phones, some "iPhone Killers", like the Voyager(which all suck, BTW). Some things I try to do with them:

1) Tap the screen repetitively until I remember that I'm holding a piece of junk.
2) Turn the phone sideways when browsing the (crappy) internet.
3) Look for an "End Call" button when making calls.
4) Become very frustrated when trying to create conference calls.
5) Pressing around all over the (crappy) earbuds for a button that will pause the music.

- John

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
I didn't do this with the iPhone but with my Treo. I needed to reactivate it because of another phone casuing me to miss calls. I picked up the Treo and was like ... now what. It actually took me at least 5 good minutes to remember how to do anything on it.

Now my niece on the other hand did do this. She thought she had my iPhone and when she touched it, she freaked. She thought she had done something bad; so being the great aunt that I am.... I let her think that.

Eventually I did tell her she had the wrong phone (Touch). Seeing the color drain from her face- PRICELESS!

PhilipJohn

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
Bronx, New York
I was on my computer at home once and I wanted the text bigger so I reached up to the screen and did the spreading finger thing. yes, it was before my first cup of coffee.

Lester56

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Every few days someone at work or a friend will hand my their phone to show me something, like a pic or a txt, and I'll look down at all those buttons and the tiny screen and suddenly I feel lost and afraid. Like after using a modern laptop and having to figure out a 1960's NASA era computer stack.

Doby45

Silver
Aug 21, 2007
Powder Springs, GA
I kept my KRZR as a "work" phone and on the weekends that I need to use it, I am sad. Because it is just a "phone", texting is hard and there is nothing to call the web. I also have a "work" phone that my company has provided (Cingular 8125) and I always try to scroll down a message by using my thumb, and it just doesn't work. I get sad.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
the iPhone is definitely erasing any past skills we had with any phone, thus leaving us helpless when the phone armageddon comes :<

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
I think I own every cell phone I've ever purchased, you know, just in case. Yep, still have my StarTac. I shouldn't be surprised, I still have a Commodore 64 and boxes of software for it. You know, just in case.:oops:

In all instances, I probably couldn't run them anymore. I have a Palm T/X that I continue to use at the hospital until Epocrates is a native app (online isn't always dependable) and I'm always trying to scroll around the screen with my finger.

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
Yep, I have a whole storeroom full of all my old technocrap that I just can't make myself get rid of. Very very sad, I know.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I had to hang out at Verizon store the other day with my son waiting for him to exchange something. My whole family has Verizon I am the only one with ATT because of my iPhone. I tried out their new phones and they all sucked compared to the iPhone! I was so happy that I had an iPhone and not one of these "regular" cell phones. Even their new touch one was stupid.
The only thing I miss is everyone sends picture messages to each other and I wish we were able to receive and send on the iPhone.
And as far as my computer goes, I am always looking for the .com button when I type in a website:eek:.

Lester56

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Yep, I have a whole storeroom full of all my old technocrap that I just can't make myself get rid of. Very very sad, I know.
Dude....do what I did. First, I rented a 16 cu ft garbage container and I filled it with all my collected techno-junk accumulated over the past few years. Cell phone, old chargers, AC-DC adapters, old PC cases, motherboards from every step of the techno-verse, etc etc....and would you believe I had that much crap?

Next, as difficult as this is to imagine, I had to rent another 10 cu ft container and I filled it too!

Sad.

Then, I got a life. la la la la la la

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
I was in a mall last weekend with a friend who has Verizon. It's time for him to get a new phone so we stopped by a Verizon booth. He was asking me about the Voyager and I was showing him how much it sucked. The sales guy must have heard me as he came over and tried to sell the thing to him. I pulled out my iPhone and was like, "let me go ahead and show you how a real phone works." He was so pissed. Does anyone else love going in to a Verizon store and then asking if they could get some help with their iPhone. I do it all the time when I pass a Verizon store just to tick them off. Guess it makes me somewhat of a jerk, but I have fun :)

iPimp

Bronze
Nov 12, 2007
Not gonna happen,now I love my ol reliable sammy D600.only real complaint I had about that phone was it only took 1GB micro's and not 2GB .

I still have the D600 here if the iPhone ever goes down or have to service it,knock on wood..:p