Who else is upset about the Applications announcement?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Pantaryl

Jun 13, 2007
Vermont
They are not even real applications!

They just run through Safari!

They don't have their own little icon, and you can't use them in places without internet.

This is a blow to developers everywhere who wanted to create applications to allow people to do more with their iPhone.

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
No. For two...wait, three reasons...

1) I won't even need all that many apps to begin with...i would take the iPhone as is, sight unseen.

2) Just because there's no SDK now doesn't mean there won't be one later. Hence, the beauty of an all touchscreen and updates over iTunes.

3) We're still 2.5 weeks away from the iPhone and we're already seeing some pretty cool safari apps/formats on the web. check this one out... http://davidcann.com/iPhone/ and this one http://onetrip.org/
and these are apps that were though of and implemented in NO TIME. just think what we'll see when these guys come up with some REALLY COOL things.

For now, i'm on the Safari app bandwagon.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
You know, I don't see what the big deal is. For larger apps I use my computer. There's no way I want to work on a spreadsheet via my iPhone! For smaller apps, there are a ton of very specialized ones that I'd love to have but I'm more than willing to wait in favor of making sure that I have a secure system.

I'm sure this is a blow to developers who want to start working on cool stuff NOW. But all good things come to those who wait.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
If I were a software developer who wanted to create apps for the iPhone I wouldn't be sitting around belly aching. I'd be out there at least creating what I could create given the tools available to me.

Right now that's the web. Get busy. Use it.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
They are not even real applications!

They just run through Safari!

They don't have their own little icon, and you can't use them in places without internet.

This is a blow to developers everywhere who wanted to create applications to allow people to do more with their iPhone.
I was underwhelmed too.:(

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
I was underwhelmed too.:(
Agreed. For most things I think the web apps will suffice, but there are some that require stand alone apps. Two that come to mind are turn-by-turn GPS (via bluetooth gps receiver) and a password manager. Maybe Apple will provide software to fill in the holes that web apps can't fill. As with most things iPhone related, we will just have to wait and see.

DMcGrew

Bronze
May 30, 2007
Now the big question is can these apps be downloaded and SAVED on to the iPhone? If so maybe we can create a shortcut to it on the homepage of the iPhone? That would be ideal. That way you won't get charged every time you want to use something.. especially if it doesn't need the internet to work (like a game for example)

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
I'm a heavy user of 3rd party apps on my Treo, so I have as much reason as anyone to want them on my iPhone.

My wife is Chinese and probably 10 or 12 times a day we use the English-Chinese dictionary I downloaded from Pleco.com.

I'm a small plane pilot and I have about 6 different programs that I use for navigation planning, checking airport data, and other information. I use most of those programs frequently.

I have a timer that frequently I use for manufacturing related issues.

I'm trying to eat more healthy so I have a diet/exercise planner.

ALL OF THESE are things that I eventually WANT to have on my iPhone. I really NEED them and use them most every day of my life.

But what I also have is a Treo that just sucks. It crashes all the time. Half the time when it rings I can't answer it because it just cuts off. Sometimes it just crashes in my pocket and I don't find out until it's been two hours and I haven't had a call.

I want all my apps BUT more than that, I want a STABLE PHONE! This is what I believe Apple is trying to preserve.

I'm sure Apple could have opened up the whole thing and just said, "Have at it kids!" But down the road a little I'd be hating my iPhone just as much as I hate my Treo now.