Who got refunds/credits from AT&T?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

webb

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Southern NJ, USA
I know I read posts in here about individuals receiving credits from AT&T in amounts of around $150. Who did you call and what were your circumstances?

I only ask because I think that AT&T should atleast give a "good faith" credit to its iPhone customers. Am I grabbing here? Maybe. But I left Verizon for the iPhone. My 2 year contract was $700. Now, I went to $2000+ for a 2 year contract. I can return to verizon, like most people I am sure, within 90 days without penalty. Apple and AT&T are in bed together. AT&T kicks a percentage of every new contract up to Apple. Apple alienated iPhone customers and some of us might want to ditch the iPhone. When we ditch the iPhone, we ditch AT&T. So, they give us a small credit on the bill in good faith to remain an AT&T customer.

Look, businessses are in businesss to make a profit. I know this. But, without happy customers, a businesss fails.

It's just a thought.

FW

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
I know I read posts in here about individuals receiving credits from AT&T in amounts of around $150. Who did you call and what were your circumstances?

I only ask because I think that AT&T should atleast give a "good faith" credit to its iPhone customers. Am I grabbing here? Maybe. But I left Verizon for the iPhone. My 2 year contract was $700. Now, I went to $2000+ for a 2 year contract. I can return to verizon, like most people I am sure, within 90 days without penalty. Apple and AT&T are in bed together. AT&T kicks a percentage of every new contract up to Apple. Apple alienated iPhone customers and some of us might want to ditch the iPhone. When we ditch the iPhone, we ditch AT&T. So, they give us a small credit on the bill in good faith to remain an AT&T customer.

Look, businessses are in businesss to make a profit. I know this. But, without happy customers, a businesss fails.

It's just a thought.

FW

You make some valid points but frankly I don't feel anyone who bought iPhones from 6/29 to mid august deserve any further compensation than the $100 Apple credit. Additionally, the price cut was Apple's decision, I doubt ATT had much notice. For me, I was contemplating going to ATT and demanding some type of credit but I honestly cannot risk going there and getting into a heated fight with the idiots who work there. I will take the one hundred dollars but as I see it, there is always a premium with new products and I am fine with paying $100 to use a device for two months ahead of the majority.

webb

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Southern NJ, USA
You make some valid points but frankly I don't feel anyone who bought iPhones from 6/29 to mid august deserve any further compensation than the $100 Apple credit. Additionally, the price cut was Apple's decision, I doubt ATT had much notice. For me, I was contemplating going to ATT and demanding some type of credit but I honestly cannot risk going there and getting into a heated fight with the idiots who work there. I will take the one hundred dollars but as I see it, there is always a premium with new products and I am fine with paying $100 to use a device for two months ahead of the majority.

Good point. $100 loss really isn't bad. I mean, take the iPhone on ebay and sell it, you'd probably lose more than that! So now, a $599 iPhone becomes $499 for us. A new adopter gets it for $399. If I was a 4 gig user, I would be even more pissed! But, the points about our personal budgets remain a fact. How many of us left a nice cushiony cell phone contract of minimum monies to go to thousands of dollars...oh well.

Just curious.

FW

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007

I understand how you may feel that way. I would not have had issue with the price drop if it had been Mid December or next year and if it was a reasonable amount. All technology prices change. I have no issue with that. I work in the technology industry. I based my purchase of the iPhone off of Apples lack of ever dropping prices. My wife has went through 3 i-pod nanos. I've paid a variation of 10 dollars over the past couple years on that price.

I look at it like this. I bought a top of the line new car for 55000, and now they're selling them brand new 10's weeks later for 36300. So I feel like Apple and crew raped me and left me dead. I can live with my mistake, but I won't ever trust them again.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
Good point. $100 loss really isn't bad. I mean, take the iPhone on ebay and sell it, you'd probably lose more than that! So now, a $599 iPhone becomes $499 for us. A new adopter gets it for $399. If I was a 4 gig user, I would be even more pissed! But, the points about our personal budgets remain a fact. How many of us left a nice cushiony cell phone contract of minimum monies to go to thousands of dollars...oh well.

Just curious.

FW

yes I would be more angry if I owned a 4 GB, which essentially has a resell value of no more than $199.

Are you referring to the total 2 year commitment? If so, the total cost of a two year contract with data plan is pretty much standard with all wireless carriers, the iPhone data plan might even makes the costs lower. I did leave verizon but overall I have been quite satisfied with ATT, except for the problems I experienced on iday when there were activation problems and the customer service reps were EXTREMELY out of line .

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
I understand how you may feel that way. I would not have had issue with the price drop if it had been Mid December or next year and if it was a reasonable amount. All technology prices change. I have no issue with that. I work in the technology industry. I based my purchase of the iPhone off of Apples lack of ever dropping prices. My wife has went through 3 i-pod nanos. I've paid a variation of 10 dollars over the past couple years on that price.

I look at it like this. I bought a top of the line new car for 55000, and now they're selling them brand new 10's weeks later for 36300. So I feel like Apple and crew raped me and left me dead. I can live with my mistake, but I won't ever trust them again.

I really don't want to start another back and forth because there are way too many here but I disagree with you. If they waited till mid December or 2008 to drop the price, they would have lost many many many holiday sales. Don't blame Apple for wanting to increase sales for the holidays. Apple has always had a history of doing moves like this, never this drastic but this is not new behavior at all for Apple.

Your car example is not relevant. The iPhone dropped in price by $200, not $19,000. How can you argue that $200 is the same as loosing 19 grand?

webb

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Southern NJ, USA
yes I would be more angry if I owned a 4 GB, which essentially has a resell value of no more than $199.

Are you referring to the total 2 year commitment? If so, the total cost of a two year contract with data plan is pretty much standard with all wireless carriers, the iPhone data plan might even makes the costs lower. I did leave verizon but overall I have been quite satisfied with ATT, except for the problems I experienced on iday when there were activation problems and the customer service reps were EXTREMELY out of line .
Verizon was a great company. I have them for 10 years. But the freebies thta they were offering me to remain a customer kept dwindling. The iPhone finally enabled me to break the endless string of boring, going nowhere style of phones that every carrier offers. I still have my verizon phone because my contract ends in 2 weeks. I just continued to paid the bill for the few months instead of paying the $175 early term fee...it was cheaper for me....and I should have some kick-a@@ rollover minutes too!

My experience with AT&T has been exceptional overall. I don't see the flaws that people talk about. No dropped calls, I have good reception.

Very pleased overall.

FW

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I really don't want to start another back and forth because there are way too many here but I disagree with you. If they waited till mid December or 2008 to drop the price, they would have lost many many many holiday sales. Don't blame Apple for wanting to increase sales for the holidays. Apple has always had a history of doing moves like this, never this drastic but this is not new behavior at all for Apple.

Your car example is not relevant. The iPhone dropped in price by $200, not $19,000. How can you argue that $200 is the same as loosing 19 grand?
33 percent buddy... A piece of technology dropped 33 percent in 10 weeks.

So that equates to about 19000 dollars for a 55000 dollar. Same principle.

Oh and the car dealer feeling bad about this, gives me a free oil change and tire rotation. Same as the 100 dollar gift certificate.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
33 percent buddy... A piece of technology dropped 33 percent in 10 weeks.

So that equates to about 19000 dollars for a 55000 dollar. Same principle.

Oh and the car dealer feeling bad about this, gives me a free oil change and tire rotation. Same as the 100 dollar gift certificate.

LOL if you are going to get into percentages than I will too. Oil Change and tire rotation, costs max $150. That is 2.72% of the 55 grand for your car. The $100 for the iPhone equals 16.67%. So no, this is not equivalent to a free oil change and tire rotation and no this is not the same as a 55000 dollar car loosing 19 grand in 70 days.

If you haven't already put the pieces together, the price drop was directly related to Apple meeting its target of one million sold for this quarter, which they would not have met without the price drop.

Prelector

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
If you haven't already put the pieces together, the price drop was directly related to Apple meeting its target of one million sold for this quarter, which they would not have met without the price drop.
I agree, the price drop was probably to meet stated sales goals to be met (1mil units, etc).

HOWEVER, Per Steve Jobs: They were well on target to meet the 1mil units sold quota, and did NOT need the price drop to meet that quota. Per Steve, the price drop was solely to capitolize on Holiday season sales.

What makes this annoying for so many though, is that Apple KNEW at iDay that the $599 price was high, and they PLANNED to drop it before the Holiday season. In effect, they planned to maximize profits on the early adopters ("hose us"), knowing full well that the early adopters are typically the most loyal Apple Customers.

The "Correct" way to have handled this for many:

1 - Release on June 29th (iDay) at the current $399 price, or even a bit higher, I'd bet up to $499 wouldn't have generated as much negative press. THEN lower to the Holiday price of $399.
2 - Release EARLY in April at the initial $599 price, then drop to $399 now. That's a much longer time line for the drop, so again, probably not as much negative press.

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007

1 - Release on June 29th (iDay) at the current $399 price, or even a bit higher, I'd bet up to $499 wouldn't have generated as much negative press. THEN lower to the Holiday price of $399.
2 - Release EARLY in April at the initial $599 price, then drop to $399 now. That's a much longer time line for the drop, so again, probably not as much negative press.
Wanna job? I agree with you. That would have been the proper way to handle it.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
HOWEVER, Per Steve Jobs: They were well on target to meet the 1mil units sold quota, and did NOT need the price drop to meet that quota. Per Steve, the price drop was solely to capitolize on Holiday season sales.

What makes this annoying for so many though, is that Apple KNEW at iDay that the $599 price was high, and they PLANNED to drop it before the Holiday season. In effect, they planned to maximize profits on the early adopters ("hose us"), knowing full well that the early adopters are typically the most loyal Apple Customers.

First, Steve Jobs would never say on the record that they are not expecting to meet their own projections.

Second, I do agree that Apple knew all along about this price drop and while that may seem unethical, it is just businesss, nothing personal. There is no "correct" way that would please consumers and shareholders but with Steve's apology yesterday, he obviously is trying to balance both needs.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Actually, I think the correct way to have handled this for most of us is much simpler:

Release on June 29th (iDay) at the $599 price, but tell people that the price will possibly drop within 2 or 3 months by 33% to $399.

That way people would have no excuse when the price dropped. I would have still purchased my phone on iDay. But most wouldn't have. It would have been an even bigger status symbol (for those people to whom that matters - not me - I'm ashamed to display my iPhone out in public.) It's the ethical method but the problem with this is Apple would not have made nearly the same profit*. And they would have had to anticipate the necessity to drop the price after 10 weeks and the negative reaction that they would get by doing so. They didn't anticipate either.

* Now all they are losing is the wholesale price on their accessories. What's the markup on Apple accessories? I'll bet they are only losing an average of $30 a customer, notwithstanding the couple of thousand of people that got real $200 refunds.

FASN8N

Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I guess I am the only one who is willing to go against the flow here.

I don't care what Apple does with the pricing of the iPhone. I needed and wanted a new phone and I was willing to pay the market price when it came out. With anything new, the early adopters pay a premium for having the latest and greatest.

With that being said, I will not turn down the $100 credit. I need some more cash for my iTunes lol

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
I don't care what Apple does with the pricing of the iPhone. I needed and wanted a new phone and I was willing to pay the market price when it came out.
I think part of some of our complaints is that $600 wasn't the market price*. And Apple feeling the need to drop it to $400 is proof of that. $400 was the market price. Well, maybe back then $500 was a decent market price. $600 was Apple greed price. Now $400 is the market price, not because that is what Apple wants to charge, but that is the amount that Apple projects will give them the most overall profit.

*It's important to understand the definition of this term: It's not just what Apple WANTS to charge. It's the price that allows them to maximize their profits. They may have wanted to charge $1000 for each phone, but they wouldn't have sold any except to the most die hard rich fans. Let's be generous and say they would have sold 100,000 instead of the million they did sell at $600. Now at $400 they can sell a LOT more phones and maximize their profits.

Let's say they make a $100 profit on each $400 phone. That's $300 profit on a $600 phone, and a $700 on a $1000 phone.

$1000 iPhone) $700 * 100,000 phones = $70,000,000
vs
$600 iPhone) $300 * 1,000,000 phones = $300,000,000
vs
$400 iPhone) $100 * 10,000,000 phones = $1,000,000,000

Yes I made up the numbers, but I hope the simplification helps to explain market price.

They realize that the $600 was too high or they wouldn't have dropped it so drastically so soon after the release date.

It's PROOF that the phone was overpriced. THAT'S what has gotten so many people up in arms over this. They basically devalued our phones. We thought they were WORTH $600 but they essentially said, "nope, they were worth $400 all along. Here's a GROSS $100 to make you feel a bit better."

Jul 24, 2007
Wow I thought the title of this thread was "who got refunds" not "hijack this thread to complain about paying full price"

Geez people love it or hate it- it is, what it is. Get over it

Now back to the original question, who, if anyone, has gotten an AT&T credit?

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Wow I thought the title of this thread was "who got refunds" not "hijack this thread to complain about paying full price"
Sorry. Just going with the flow. Not that it excuses the behavior.

To answer the OP, no I haven't received anything from them. I'll be getting the $100 credit, and perhaps I'll sell some unlocked iPhones on ebay (after a PERMANENT software unlock is available.)