Who here owns a Mac computer?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

wmflyfisher

Bronze
Oct 10, 2007
Athens, GA
I've been reading about laptops in the past couple days and I'm thinking about getting one soon. I've read a lot of good things about Macs. For those who use them, what do you think? Should I make the switch from a PC? Why or why not?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I've been reading about laptops in the past couple days and I'm thinking about getting one soon. I've read a lot of good things about Macs. For those who use them, what do you think? Should I make the switch from a PC? Why or why not?
With a Mac laptop you can run both Mac OS X Leopard and Windows using BootCamp. Best of both worlds.

-Chris

Last edited:

spankbot

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
With a Mac laptop you can run both Mac OS X Leopard and Windows using BootCamp. Best of both worlds.

-Chris

Chris said it. Go Mac and you will never look back - especially these days because of how completely crappy Vista is.

You can also run Windoze apps natively using Parallels or VMWare without installing a full Windoze OS.

I used to be a die hard Windoze user too - never again...

Last edited by a moderator:

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
Once you go Mac, you never go back :D

I absolutely love my MacBook Pro that I bought in June. And, similarly, I loved the white MacBook that I had before that.

Go play with them at an Apple Store, Best Buy, etc. and see what you think. My bet is that you'll be pleasantly surprised.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Once you go Mac, you never go back :D

I absolutely love my MacBook Pro that I bought in June. And, similarly, I loved the white MacBook that I had before that.

Go play with them at an Apple Store, Best Buy, etc. and see what you think. My bet is that you'll be pleasantly surprised.
If I'm correct, BestBuy only sells iPods/iPhones. They don't sell Mac laptops or desktops.

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
If I'm correct, BestBuy only sells iPods/iPhones. They don't sell Mac laptops or desktops.
Hmm...last time I was at Best Buy in San Francisco, they definitely had the new iMacs on display. I remember because that was the first time I had played with the new slim aluminum keyboard. I can't say for sure, but I coulda sworn I also saw MacBooks there. Maybe that's just a California thing...or just select Best Buy locations?

Well, CompUSA would be a good playground if your local Best Buy doesn't have anything to play with.

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Best Buy is slowly rolling out Mac departments. Seems I read an Apple report that they hoped to be in about 50% by Christmas. Still haven't seen any in my area of SC.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Do it!

I owned a PC once, and when I started using Macs, I was stunned. They are by far the best computers out there. I own every single model Apple has put out.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I just bought a MacBook from Best Buy online 10 days ago. Ordered it online at 11pm, chose local store pickup option, and picked it up 10am the next morning.

It is my first time using a Mac in a lot of years, and I am loving it. As Chris and others have said, Windows runs very nicely - for me via VMWare, so I don't have to boot into it, just run it within a Mac session ...

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
I've had my MacBook for 2 months now- makes me wonder why I stuck with PC for 20 years. My desktop is still windows- don't know for how much longer though.

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I'm a macbook user since january too. Made the switch from linux actually. Never will I ever go back to Windows, and I cant see myself going back to linux anytime except to tink around with.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Just got my MacBook Air and I'm in love. I still have a Windows desktop that I love, but she's getting up there in age (almost 6 years old now) so I'll be getting a Mac Desktop eventually.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I have had my MBP about 3 weeks. Was a windows user for about 15yrs. I would never go back to windows. EVERYTHING is simpler on a mac from installing new programs to syncing your phone. If you need to delete a program guess what? There are no bits and pieces left on the computer like on windows. No need to defrag the hard drive. No virus problems (or at least very rare). Really not that hard to adjust to. There is some good information on the Apple website about switching from a PC to a Mac. I could go on for hours, but you will see a ton of difference when you make the jump.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
Although newer versions of the MB came out after I got mine, I wasn't disappointed at all. I don't see myself replacing this one as fast as I've gone through Windows laptops- as soon as something newer came out, I was right there getting it.

I thought of something funny though- when I'd be out and about with my windows laptop and I come across a Mac user on their laptop, the looks they would give after I pull my WinLap out looked like I was using something pathetic. But now, traveling to the same spots, but on a Mac myself, I get looks like I've joined an elite cult or something.

Whats up with that?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Although newer versions of the MB came out after I got mine, I wasn't disappointed at all. I don't see myself replacing this one as fast as I've gone through Windows laptops- as soon as something newer came out, I was right there getting it.

I thought of something funny though- when I'd be out and about with my windows laptop and I come across a Mac user on their laptop, the looks they would give after I pull my WinLap out looked like I was using something pathetic. But now, traveling to the same spots, but on a Mac myself, I get looks like I've joined an elite cult or something.

Whats up with that?
yeah i hear ya. i have an overwhelming feeling of pity for them.

anyway, i bought my first mac (macbook pro) about a month ago, and i love it. I won't say i won't ever go back (i might build a desktop with windows and/or linux), but i do know i won't be without a Mac ever again.

about the Best Buy thing... we are starting to carry more and more Macs. Our store currently has two models of iMacs, and all of the Macbooks and macbook pros. Still no Mac minis (although they would sell like crazy) or Mac Pros...