Who said firmware 1.1.1 sucked?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I recently got myself a 1.1.1 firmware phone and did the usual unlocking. It is such an improvement on the previous firmware version.

I'm finding that internet surfing is faster (both EDGE & WiFi).

I am hoping that Apple will start rolling out some serious upgrades to the existing iPhone in the near future. I hope they don't forget about us, when the new models come out next year.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
I am not sure that I have read anyone say it sucked. What I had read (and much is now no longer valid) was that it was a downgrade since the ability to add 3rd party apps was killed. It also killed the ability to add custom ring tones to the phone. There also have been some complaints that I am reading that it feels less responsive too.

I have no clue, I am still on 1.02 and will be until iPhoneringtonemaker is working much better on 1.1.1 then I will take the plunge....

cflamm

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
i think 1.1.1 is a very nice upgrade, hopefully more will come in the future. as far as ringtones go, you could just break down and buy one...$1.98 is NOT as much as i have paid in the past on other phones. not such a big deal as others are making.

carl

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I haven't noticed faster browsing...

But I do dig the iTunes store. And I must say, the double-clikcing of the home button bringng up iPod controls is pretty sweet.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
i think 1.1.1 is a very nice upgrade, hopefully more will come in the future. as far as ringtones go, you could just break down and buy one...$1.98 is NOT as much as i have paid in the past on other phones. not such a big deal as others are making.

carl
For me it is not the price it is what it offers. Of the custom tones only 5 are songs that are commercially available. 6 others I have on my phone right now were created by a friend as work. I did not see the ones she created in the iTunes store, that is my problem. Also, I don't even know if the 5 songs I use are even available on the iTunes store, and if they are if they are "allowed" to be a ringtone. Pretty far from custom ringtones really.

swampduck

Bronze
Oct 19, 2007

carl
I personally feel like I am being ripped off by not being able to make my own ringtones from songs I have already bought.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines

carl
you, sir have NO idea what the joy is in making your OWN ringtones. The cheezey overused ringtones available from iTunes are far inferior. Plus, they cost money. I already purchased the music one time. Now again for a ringtones? Stupid statement.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
you, sir have NO idea what the joy is in making your OWN ringtones. The cheezey overused ringtones available from iTunes are far inferior. Plus, they cost money. I already purchased the music one time. Now again for a ringtones? Stupid statement.

i don't think we need to call him stupid, but i do agree with you.

Additionally, what if i want to make a ringtone that is NOT MUSIC? Crazy, i know.

cflamm

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
yeah, actually i do. i have made many ringtones and used them on my phone pre 1.1.1. but after trying numerous times to hack 1.1.1 and failing and almost destroying my phone in the process, i'm staying with unhacked 1.1.1.

so buying tones is my only option and i have have found more than enough to be satisfied with and think they sound fine. the security and peace of mind knowing my phone is safe for future upgrades, and the features i got in 1.1.1 far outweighs anything i got in my modded 1.0.2 phone.

i tried ijailbreak for ppc and now my g5 is DEAD IN THE WATER and i'm waiting on home repair. not really worth the effort and pain in my opinion.

and btw, your avitar is oj and you accuse me of making a stupid statement? not sure you know what stupid really is. funny guy.

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
Ive never heard of a ringtone cost anything more then 2 bucks, let alone the 2 bucks.

I like the upgrade, but I have been just having weird ussues since, like super fast battery drainage and no sim messages and dropped calls, its not all the time, somedays are better then others. And I NEVER had any of these issues before the upgrade, not even once.