Who splits their bill?

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
When you go out do you really split the bill? I eat out with large groups of people all the time and we don't ever split the bill. We each pay for what we ordered. Why should I foot the bill for your $30 steak when I just ordered the $15 pasta?

I'm asking because these check/tip apps all just split the bill. Do any allow you to have different totals for each person?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I would assume most people split the bill by getting separate checks. That's what my friends and I do when we go out. Everyone gets a check for their own food and drink.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
A lot of places don't allow you to get separate checks at a single table, especially with a large party.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I haven't been to many places that refuse to split their bill. In other countries the chances of them splitting your bill is very slim but most places in the U.S. (save the ones that are foreign owned) are willing to split the bill. It could vary of course.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Waiters really hate groups of people that insist on getting separate checks. I've never waited tables in my life but know many people that do/have. It's apparently almost equivalent to stiffing them on the tip.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
In the day and age of debit cards and credit cards, fewer people are carrying cash. I know that it is entirely inconvenient to try and pay $28.46 out of $167.59 when everyone else is trying to do the same thing at the same time. Waiting for everyone to pool together the money, make sure everyone covers their share, then split the change evenly among a group? Why should I have to work harder at dinner than the waiter/waitress?

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Just stating what the general consensus is regarding separate checks. I don't understand exactly why it's such an issue for them but I do know that they cringe when they see large groups of younger clientele (especially) walk in together.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Well, imagine how long it would take for you to split the bill yourself? And you are all working together to do it. Then consider how long it would take for the waiter to do it. And these days he's got to re-enter it all into a computer. He has to do that process each time for every check. I can imagine that it would be quite tedious for him, especially for parties of 10 or so. And he can't take off 5 or 10 minutes to figure out the checks when he's got 15 tables to manage.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I would imagine that most of the waiters and such today have access to a computer that can rather easily split the check for them. I believe the only "difficult" part would arise in remember what each person ordered but if you brought them the food, that shouldn't be much of an issue.

I can understand that it might be a bit taxing but they ARE getting paid for doing such tasks (however minimal it is). I would much rather tip a waiter that split the bill than one who didn't.

For the record, I rarely ever don't tip, only if the service is particularly horrible and I've never waited tables.

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
i was a waiter/bartender all through college (3 years ago) and I liked serving large parties. most servers don't though and here's why: splitting the bill up, even with the computers of today, is a major pain. remember, you're not the only table the server has at the moment, so some other table might get their food a little late or not get their drink refilled on time because the server has to sit in front of the computer and split up checks, all causing lower tips. also remember, tips are there income, servers make 2.13 per hour which in most cases is just enough to pay taxes so your paychecks are often only a few cents. not to mention the other servers who are waiting to use that computer to enter their orders, the ratio of terminals to servers is like 1:4 in most places. so it can cause a major traffic jam, for servers and customers.

also for parties of 6 or more there is an automatic gratuity added, usually somewhere around 17-20%. BUT, if you do separate checks it can be harder/sometimes not possible to add gratuity because the computer sees it as 6 one-tops instead of one 6-top. and for some reason people seem to tip way less when all they have to pay for is one entree and a water....

anyways, i could go on and on but this is an iPhone forum so I'll stop.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Waiters really hate groups of people that insist on getting separate checks. I've never waited tables in my life but know many people that do/have. It's apparently almost equivalent to stiffing them on the tip.
Actually i have heard that they get more if they split check. The reason is if 5 people round up, they get a little more. That is what I heard at least. I am not saying that this is always the case, but why would they ask you if you wanted separate check if they know they are going to get screwed. Whenever I am with friends and at dinner, the waiter/waitress asks if we want separate checks, I just don't understand why they would "strew" themselves by asking this.

Just my 2 cents for whats its worth.

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
why would they ask you if you wanted separate check if they know they are going to get screwed. Whenever I am with friends and at dinner, the waiter/waitress asks if we want separate checks, I just don't understand why they would "strew" themselves by asking this.

Just my 2 cents for whats its worth.
they ask to avoid printing out a single check, dropping it off, and having the customer get all pissy because they want separate checks. "why didn't you ask?" - it happens and it usually means you're getting a low tip. people, especially now days, search for any little thing to justify a lower tip to save money.

then you have to remember who had what and manually separate the check, sometimes this involves a manager and can take a long time. if you ask up front, then you can "ring up" stuff separately from the start making it a lot easier/faster when the time comes to drop the check

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
they ask to avoid printing out a single check, dropping it off, and having the customer get all pissy because they want separate checks. "why didn't you ask?"

then you have to remember who had what and manually separate the check, sometimes this involves a manager. if you ask up front, then you can "ring up" stuff separately from the start making it a lot easier/faster when the time comes to drop the check
I am just saying from my experience, I always give at least 15% and if I can round up to the nearest dollar, and still by over 15% they would make a little more. It holds true for me, not necessarily everyone else.

One more thing. I noticed the other day when my friend gave $2 on a $15 order and I gave $3 on a $15 order. He casually put another dollar down after he saw that I gave 3.
I am not trying to start arguments, just me blabbing on.

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
15% sucks in most servers eyes, that's the "minimum" that you should get for mediocre service, unless we're talking about restaurants like Chili's or something. Most servers, including myself when I was one about three years ago, strive for at least 20%. If a server constantly get 15%, it usually means they're doing something wrong.

That's my experience, as a server/bartender for 6 years during high school/college.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
15% sucks in most servers eyes, that's the "minimum" that you should get for mediocre service, unless we're talking about restaurants like Chili's or something. Most servers, including myself when I was one about three years ago, strive for at least 20%. If a server constantly get 15%, it usually means they're doing something wrong.

That's my experience, as a server/bartender for 6 years during high school/college.
I said that was my minimum. If they are good basically if they don't f up or are terrible I give them how i see fit. Usually 20-25%.

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
I noticed the other day when my friend gave $2 on a $15 order and I gave $3 on a $15 order. He casually put another dollar down after he saw that I gave 3.
I am not trying to start arguments, just me blabbing on.
why not make it an even $20? Thats what I do, 2 extra bucks to make someone smile......totally worth it.

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
this conversation has nothing to do with iPhones, lol

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
why not make it an even $20? Thats what I do, 2 extra bucks to make someone smile......totally worth it.
This is my last off topic post! haha It was a little breakfast diner. And plus, you say why not give then extra 2 bucks, then you can make the argument why not 2 more, then 2 more, then 2 more.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
this conversation has nothing to do with iPhones, lol
I know. Sorry for encouraging this debate. The fact that it turned into a debate does beg the question, "is there an iPhone app to help us to split up our own bills?"