Who Will Make The Perfect Case?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

DanUC6

Bronze
Jun 2, 2007
Sorry Rob but I gotta go with Vaja...what do you guys think. Will Apple have anything sexy?

Last edited by a moderator:

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
You know, I really like those Vaja cases but for one thing. And this is why I don't like a lot of other cases out there for the iPod. It's like everyone is making a case to KEEP your iPhone/ipod IN. So, what you end up doing is interacting with this technology from Apple inside a $30 case rather than enjoying the full experience of the incredible blending of design and technology that IS Apple. The result is a bulker, heavier and inherently less attractive iPod, just because the ipod is so beautiful on it's own.

I'm trying not to be a saleman here in a forum, against forum rules. But as a designer that's what I was thinking about. In designing a case for the iPhone for myself, personally, (which is all I've done) I wanted a case that I can keep my phone in but take it out of the case to enjoy Apple's handiwork. I just want a simple protective case that I can take my phone OUT of. Sure, I might drop it. But I want to touch my iPhone!

Again, viva la difference. Everyone should buy the case that they like the best. It's a huge market with a lot of hot cases that are sure to come out. I'm totally anxious to see more of what other designers come out with!

DanUC6

Bronze
Jun 2, 2007
I am also a fan of enjoying the Apple engineering and like to take it out every now and then. That is why I can't stand the form fit ones, those rubber things just piss me off!

May 6, 2007
United States
You know, I really like those Vaja cases but for one thing. And this is why I don't like a lot of other cases out there for the iPod. It's like everyone is making a case to KEEP your iPhone/ipod IN. So, what you end up doing is interacting with this technology from Apple inside a $30 case rather than enjoying the full experience of the incredible blending of design and technology that IS Apple. The result is a bulker, heavier and inherently less attractive iPod, just because the ipod is so beautiful on it's own.

I'm trying not to be a saleman here in a forum, against forum rules. But as a designer that's what I was thinking about. In designing a case for the iPhone for myself, personally, (which is all I've done) I wanted a case that I can keep my phone in but take it out of the case to enjoy Apple's handiwork. I just want a simple protective case that I can take my phone OUT of. Sure, I might drop it. But I want to touch my iPhone!

Again, viva la difference. Everyone should buy the case that they like the best. It's a huge market with a lot of hot cases that are sure to come out. I'm totally anxious to see more of what other designers come out with!
I agree. This is very important to me. The way I see it is that cases that constantly stay on the product take away the point of the amazing aesthetic and feel, that the designers and engineers took hours to make, and we payed hundreds of dollars for. I haven't looked at any cases other than yours, Rob, but I am sure there will be plenty of good ones. I am still looking into yours, though. I hope I can still nab that discount :D

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
A case is a definate ACCESORY I will buy. I wonder if Apple will release cases.
I was just thinking the same thing. They could probably release a really nice one but they'll probably leave it to aftermarket.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
Apple's deal with accessory makers is pretty onerous. Rather than make their own (other than a few basic items) they, to date, have left that to the aftermarket crew. They then feed off that fatted calf with high margins.

timschizzle

Bronze
May 22, 2007
I'm planning on using a case i bought a while ago for my ipod. Its basic, but it does what i'll need it to. I like to take it out of a sleeve and use it like rob was saying, so this works for me. If it doesn't seem to work out, i'll just buy a new one.
m9129ga_125.jpg

it looks a lot like Rob's but it doesn't have the strap for over the top, or the swivel clip.

Jun 5, 2007
iPhone Scratches

Many an iPhone owner will probably nix the idea of an iPhone case altogether, because they don't like the idea of covering it up. There's even a site dedicated to fixing iPhone scratches that gives reasons for saying no to an iPhone case.

Quoting from the post:

"Its a big shame that people would smother a beautiful iPhone inside a third party case. …just not right. Sure, the iPhone will probably scuff and scratch , and get nasty fingerprints on it. Especially if you’re dropping it or carrying it in your pocket with your keys. But, unless you’re housing ultra-secret documents on your iPhone and plan on smuggling it through a third-world airport checkpoint inside your anus, I’d forgo a stupid case."

MadDog31

Bronze
May 15, 2007
Wilmington, NC
www.bitterfans.com
Marware appears to be making a nice case that's just that - a case. You have to take it out to answer it, but you'll still get that "feel" of holding the actual iPhone. There is also another company coming out w/ a clear version of a case that looks interesting.

WTEngel

Bronze
May 22, 2007
Texas
Just received my lambskin Traveler iPhone case from Zuluworks. It looks absolutely fabulous. Very nice looking accessory. Just the thing I need to carry around the iPhone I won't have for another 3 weeks. Thanks Rob, it looks amazing and your service was great.

Travis

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
Just received my lambskin Traveler iPhone case from Zuluworks. It looks absolutely fabulous. Very nice looking accessory. Just the thing I need to carry around the iPhone I won't have for another 3 weeks. Thanks Rob, it looks amazing and your service was great.

Travis
You know you could take that little foam insert and tape a picture of the iPhone to it and just pretend for a few weeks.

Honestly, I find myself holding that little piece of foam and putting it up to my ear to get the feel of what the iPhone is really going to be like. I stop short of actually talking into the foam, though. :cool:

kewl!o

Bronze
May 28, 2007
Apex, NC
thethirdrail.wordpress.com
screen protector

Many an iPhone owner will probably nix the idea of an iPhone case altogether, because they don't like the idea of covering it up. There's even a site dedicated to fixing iPhone scratches that gives reasons for saying no to an iPhone case.

Quoting from the post:

"Its a big shame that people would smother a beautiful iPhone inside a third party case. …just not right. Sure, the iPhone will probably scuff and scratch , and get nasty fingerprints on it. Especially if you’re dropping it or carrying it in your pocket with your keys. But, unless you’re housing ultra-secret documents on your iPhone and plan on smuggling it through a third-world airport checkpoint inside your anus, I’d forgo a stupid case."
Has anyone looked here:
invisibleSHIELD
http://www.shieldzone.com/iphone-screen-protector

I have not used this before (I don't even own an iPod ... though my wife and daughter have them). Anyone have an opinion?

kewl!o :cool:

C130

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
Texas

Travis
If your case is held closed via a magnet, be careful. I currently have a Cingular 8125 and bought a very nice leather case that was held closed by a magnet and had the rotating clip that attaches to your belt. It would rotate and then the phone would fall out on the ground and happened several times and the phone was brand new. The company finally replaced the case with a different type but would do nothing about the phone which did not have a scratch on it and now looks pretty beat up. It's not the same company but just something to be careful with and I will never buy another case held closed by a magnet. Nice concept but with the 8125 maybe it was just too heavy, causing it to rotate and fall out.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
If your case is held closed via a magnet, be careful. I currently have a Cingular 8125 and bought a very nice leather case that was held closed by a magnet and had the rotating clip that attaches to your belt. It would rotate and then the phone would fall out on the ground and happened several times and the phone was brand new. The company finally replaced the case with a different type but would do nothing about the phone which did not have a scratch on it and now looks pretty beat up. It's not the same company but just something to be careful with and I will never buy another case held closed by a magnet. Nice concept but with the 8125 maybe it was just too heavy, causing it to rotate and fall out.
Just curious. Did the case also have elastic sides? I can definitely see how that would happen if there wasn't some pressure holding the phone in. In the experimenting we did at the factory we tried to keep the side elastic just tight enough to hold the phone in without making it difficult to take it out. (Or at least as best we could test it with our wooden mock up.)