Who would have preferred a 4" iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by Europa, Oct 2, 2014.

?

Would you have gotten a 4" iPhone 6 if Apple offered it?

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  2. No

28 vote(s)
    73.7%
  1. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I was a single-handed iPhone user up until the new iPhone. The only time I used two hands on the older phones was when I was speed typing with both thumbs. I miss singled-handed usage and would have preferred a 4" iPhone 6. I got the 4.7" because that was the smallest they offered. I can't hold it securely with one hand and when I try to use it that way, my right pinky gets sore from supporting it and the palm of my right hand gets sore where the lower right corner digs in since I can't easily wrap my fingers around it. In addition to the pain, it just feels awkward to use with one hand due to the large size. I also can't pocket it as well. I'm finding that Reachability is not much help at all because you still have to deal with the width. This phone is just too big for me to use it with one hand.

I'm curious how many other people would have preferred a smaller iPhone. My sister-in-law kept her iPhone 5s because she has no interest in a big phone, but my brother loves his new iPhone 6 Plus. I guess a lot of it depends on how much you relied on using one hand. I think it's worse for younger people and girls since we have smaller hands.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. kerriberri

kerriberri Contributor
    Bronze

I actually was very excited to find out Apple made a bigger phone, I've always hoped they would. I however have always been a two handed user so a bigger phone actually made this easier for me. I do still use one hand on an occasion and don't find it too awkward, I usually balance it on my fingers and sort of lean it in and move my fingers across the back, doing it that way enables me to reach the entire screen with one hand. I can't do that however when I'm actually gripping the phone and supporting the bottom with my pinky and I can see how it could be problem for some.

Sent using iCafe app

3. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I agree that a 4" phone would be more comfortable to hold than the bigger phone. It just feels awkward to hold. Not to mention, without a case the phone is likely to slip out of your hands. I still need to a choose a good case for my iPhone 6.

4. Zzz

Zzz Contributor
    Bronze

I might get blasted for this, but I think the perfect size for any phone, iPhone or Android is 4.3 inches. I have the 4.7 inch iP6 and I'm now used to it, but I think the perfect size for the one handed use is 4.3. I remember I had a Rezound and I felt it was perfect for the one handed use. Slightly bigger then a 4 inch screen, but still compact enough to handle 1 handed 100% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using iCafe App.

5. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I'm getting used to it. I don't do the pinky shelf anymore. instead I put all four fingers on the back about halfway up, which lets me reach way more of the screen with my thumb. There's enough grip on the leather cases to not need a shelf. I'll try to get a video later.

6. Hinezy

Hinezy Contributor
    Silver

My question is what is so important about one hand use? What exactly is your other hand busy doing?

Sent from my iPhone 5

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I might have been able to get used to a 4.3". But with these huge bezels, 4.7" is too big for those of us with small hands who like to use our phones with just the one hand. I'm just amazed that Apple is alienating those of us who value that. I'm not sure why they didn't continue to offer 4" and just ADD more options to the lineup for those who like bigger screens.

8. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I'll chime in. I like one-handed use if I'm eating or maybe putting something away and don't need two hands all the time.

9. Zzz

Zzz Contributor
    Bronze

I don't think it's about what their 2nd hand is doing. I believe it's more about preference. Some smartphone users prefer to use their phone's 1 handed. Just cause you don't or maybe I don't or the next person doesn't have that preference all the time, doesn't mean some iPhone & Android users don't have a 1 handed preference all the time. Although I am now used to my 4.7 inch iP6, I can understand where they're coming from. That's why I wouldn't go the 6+ route. Beast of an iPhone, just couldn't do it. I like the 1 handed use sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using iCafe App.

10. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

I like the 4.7, but it took me about a week get fully used to it. I have bigger hands and I can use it fine one handed. My wife is still finding it hard to use the 6 one handed...

11. Hinezy

Hinezy Contributor
    Silver

I've been trying to pay attention to how I use my iPhone 5 while I wait for my plus. I'd be lying if I said I don't use one hand at times but the majority of the time I notice I use two.

Sent from my iPhone 5

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I've been using my iPhones with one hand for years. It's not that the other hand is always busy, it's that it's the way I'm used to using it. I'm trying to get used to two-handed usage, but I'm really struggling with the change. I could use every iPhone I've ever owned except the 6 while lying in bed on my right side. That's impossible with this one. I used to sit on the couch and lie in bed for hours at a time on my phone. I could type on my phone as fast as I could type on a computer. Now I hardly ever use my phone. Instead I just use my computer because this phone is too uncomfortable for me to use.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, I think those of us who are really struggling with this new iPhone are women (smaller hands) who are used to using their iPhone with just one hand. Apple pretty much abandoned that demographic. I refuse to stagnate on old technology, so I'll start looking at Android flagships that are around 4" if Apple fails to bring back the 4" next year. That said, over the course of the year, I might get used to two-handed usage and decide to stick with Apple. I'm vested in their ecosystem about as much as anyone can be and I love iOS so I'd only be leaving because of screen size.

14. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

I like the new iP6. No bigger thank you.

15. snowtrooper1966

Gold

image.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I'm not a one hander. I use two hands most of the time. I used two hands with my iPhone 4. I do use one hand some, but it's mostly two. As long as I can put it in my pocket, I'm fine.

Note: My thumbs were just not made for typing. I have found that extremely difficult to do. I have to use my index finger to type. I was content with the height of the 4" screen. I just wanted it a bit wider.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

#16 Ledsteplin, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  17. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

@Europa have you seen this? It may help?

18. mbairguy

mbairguy Contributor
    Bronze

Valid points everyone. I do not envy the manufacturers that have to deal with the task of trying to develop products that fit everyone's lifestyle; all the while being "bashed" at every turn in social media for not addressing the tech of the day, bend gate, gap gate...gate-de jour...

I do believe that Apple needs to look at a future offering in the iPhone line (4" or 4.3") for the reasons presented by Europa. My wife loves the screen real estate of my 6+ but weighing usability/functions vs. size, she much prefers the 6. No reason why Apple shouldn't offer three versions of the iPhone. No way my daughter ( at 5'3") will ever go 6+.

Sent using iCafe app

19. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I can't wipe while posting comments on ieC and I don't want to use dictation because people may hear me and think I'm a weirdo.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Enter iPhone 6 mini