Who would have preferred a slightly thicker iPhone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
Just curious as to who would prefer just a slightly thicker iPhone 6 body and in return get a bigger battery, removal of the camera bulge, and maybe even more durability?

There is no right or wrong answer here, just trying see what people prefer is all. I for one would not mind having a bit thicker phone if it's going to improve other things, like the ones mentioned above. What say you?

Last edited by a moderator:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I definitely prefer the thinness. It's already awkward enough using a 4.7" screen single-handed. It would be even worse on a thicker device. I'm not worried about my phone bending because I think it takes a lot of force to do that and I'm pretty gentle with phones. The camera not sitting flush doesn't bother me at all. A lot of Android phones have cameras that protrude. I'm not sure why this is a big deal. I use a case anyway, so the back is flush.

Jin

Bronze
Oct 2, 2012
I like it thinner, just wish the side could have better grip. Use different material maybe instead all metal. Otherwise, awesome device.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe Forums

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I would have preferred a thicker device that would allowed for a larger capacity battery on the iPhone 6. This is the first phone I am using a case for daily use because it is just plain uncomfortable to hold due to its thin design. Just my opinion.

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
Anytime Apple comes out with a new product, it is absolutely PERFECT. It is EXACTLY what I WANT. I know this, because Tim Cook and about 5 of his closest friends stand on stage for an hour or two telling me this, and then give me a week to realize that before putting the product in my hands.

Ozzie5374

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Country South Australia
Anytime Apple comes out with a new product, it is absolutely PERFECT. It is EXACTLY what I WANT. I know this, because Tim Cook and about 5 of his closest friends stand on stage for an hour or two telling me this, and then give me a week to realize that before putting the product in my hands.
What brand of shoes are you wearing?

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I have been wishing for thicker iPhones since the 3GS. The 3GS's battery life was so terrible that I always had a mophie or other battery case on it. That mophie actually made it more comfortable to use because of the thickness. The battery life increase wasn't too great--separate battery with all the plastic around it, some lost during the transfer,etc. At least it was convenient to leave it on back in the day, because they didn't impede USB functions...syncing and charging and car stuff all still worked through the USB port passed through by the mophie. Can't do that with the mophies of today, I guess Apple doesn't allow battery pack cases to pass the USB signals through anymore.

While they've gone thinner and thinner and thinner ever since, they've somehow managed to make the batteries marginally bigger (and/or denser) through the newer generations. It's never been enough. Always "10" hours of battery life (more like 2-4 in my experience, closer to 2 for the 5s). Maybe 10 if you don't actually USE it for 10 hours.

I ask the question every year, y'know, if they'd just kept it the same thickness (or, gasp, made it a little thicker), and filled that extra space with battery, what would the battery life be like? With the same advances in battery density, but a much larger volume to work with, I can only imagine what my day would be like. Real 10 hours of battery life? Maybe even 20-30?

Nowadays, I carry and regularly charge 4 external batteries ranging from 6,000-10,000 mAh because the phone cannot make it through even 5 hours without plugging in, most of the time 2-3 hours. This is still the case for the 6. I may have to go and get the 6 plus just to try and get as big of an internal battery as possible, but that might be canceled out by the bigger screen, brighter backlight, and faster CPU.

The camera bump is really just incredibly tacky. It pissed me off with all of the Android phones that do it, it pissed me off on the 5th gen touch, and it pisses me off now on the iPhone 6. Like, really? Their obsession with making the damn thing thinner and thinner and thinner has gone one step too far. All they have left to remove is the battery itself. Or maybe the light sensor, like they did with the 5th gen touch. (that thing is useless anyway, auto brightness has been broken since iOS 6)

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I would prefer thicker. Just a tad. I don't use 1 hand. I used 2 hands with my 3.5" iPhone 4. It'll be thick enough once I get an Otterbox on it. In January. :(

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Vcoronel127

Bronze
Aug 30, 2011
My thoughts exactly. Why couldn't Apple just hear the consumer out by putting but a bigger and better battery.

I know they're obsessed about being thin but that's really pointless if your battery keeps dying. I would rather use a thicker phone that I can use, than a phone that's in my pocket because there's no more battery. #smh

Sent from my iPhonejdrlqweendeeqsseaalrwqlazOaas ewwrlsiiweoriredgeadkqssawAsoàXal

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
On second thought, after a couple more days of usage, I guess it wouldn't matter if it was thicker because I have pretty much completely lost single-handed usability anyway. A bigger battery would be nice. I'm adapting to using it two handedly when sitting and standing, but this 4.7" is extremely difficult to use while lying on my side in bed, which I used to be able to do very easily for a couple hours at a time on my older iPhones. I have resorted to using my 5s in bed because it's just too difficult on my 6 in that situation.

Vcoronel127

Bronze
Aug 30, 2011
On second thought, after a couple more days of usage, I guess it wouldn't matter if it was thicker because I have pretty much completely lost single-handed usability anyway. A bigger battery would be nice. I'm adapting to using it two handedly when sitting and standing, but this 4.7" is extremely difficult to use while lying on my side in bed, which I used to be able to do very easily for a couple hours at a time on my older iPhones. I have resorted to using my 5s in bed because it's just too difficult on my 6 in that situation.

Wow. You use two phones? That would be hard for me to just keep switching

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited by a moderator: