Who would have preferred a slightly thicker iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by rom x, Sep 24, 2014.

1. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

Just curious as to who would prefer just a slightly thicker iPhone 6 body and in return get a bigger battery, removal of the camera bulge, and maybe even more durability?

There is no right or wrong answer here, just trying see what people prefer is all. I for one would not mind having a bit thicker phone if it's going to improve other things, like the ones mentioned above. What say you?

#1 rom x, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2014
  2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I definitely prefer the thinness. It's already awkward enough using a 4.7" screen single-handed. It would be even worse on a thicker device. I'm not worried about my phone bending because I think it takes a lot of force to do that and I'm pretty gentle with phones. The camera not sitting flush doesn't bother me at all. A lot of Android phones have cameras that protrude. I'm not sure why this is a big deal. I use a case anyway, so the back is flush.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

People just getting paranoid about this bending thing.

The iP6 is gonna be just fine.

4. Jin

Jin Member
    Bronze

I like it thinner, just wish the side could have better grip. Use different material maybe instead all metal. Otherwise, awesome device.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe Forums

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I like the thinness, but I honestly wouldn't care if it was a little thicker as long as it retained the rounded edges.

6. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I would have preferred a thicker device that would allowed for a larger capacity battery on the iPhone 6. This is the first phone I am using a case for daily use because it is just plain uncomfortable to hold due to its thin design. Just my opinion.

7. Sassytallsista

Sassytallsista Contributor
    Bronze

I like the 6+ as is. If it was thicker it would be too much, might as well just use an iPad mini.

Sent using iCafe app

8. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

If it was the same thickness as the 5s and kept it rounded edges, I wouldn't mind if a larger battery was used.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

I prefer the thinness. That camera bulge is hardly even noticeable. It is far less than I was expecting.

10. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Anytime Apple comes out with a new product, it is absolutely PERFECT. It is EXACTLY what I WANT. I know this, because Tim Cook and about 5 of his closest friends stand on stage for an hour or two telling me this, and then give me a week to realize that before putting the product in my hands.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  11. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

I hear ol Tim is working on a new keynote for selling ice to Eskimos:)

12. Ozzie5374

Ozzie5374 Contributor
    Bronze

What brand of shoes are you wearing?

13. Ozzie5374

Ozzie5374 Contributor
    Bronze

Due to climate warming.....?

14. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Depends on what I'm doing at any given time. I was just getting ready to put on my Altras and go for a run.

15. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

I have been wishing for thicker iPhones since the 3GS. The 3GS's battery life was so terrible that I always had a mophie or other battery case on it. That mophie actually made it more comfortable to use because of the thickness. The battery life increase wasn't too great--separate battery with all the plastic around it, some lost during the transfer,etc. At least it was convenient to leave it on back in the day, because they didn't impede USB functions...syncing and charging and car stuff all still worked through the USB port passed through by the mophie. Can't do that with the mophies of today, I guess Apple doesn't allow battery pack cases to pass the USB signals through anymore.

While they've gone thinner and thinner and thinner ever since, they've somehow managed to make the batteries marginally bigger (and/or denser) through the newer generations. It's never been enough. Always "10" hours of battery life (more like 2-4 in my experience, closer to 2 for the 5s). Maybe 10 if you don't actually USE it for 10 hours.

I ask the question every year, y'know, if they'd just kept it the same thickness (or, gasp, made it a little thicker), and filled that extra space with battery, what would the battery life be like? With the same advances in battery density, but a much larger volume to work with, I can only imagine what my day would be like. Real 10 hours of battery life? Maybe even 20-30?

Nowadays, I carry and regularly charge 4 external batteries ranging from 6,000-10,000 mAh because the phone cannot make it through even 5 hours without plugging in, most of the time 2-3 hours. This is still the case for the 6. I may have to go and get the 6 plus just to try and get as big of an internal battery as possible, but that might be canceled out by the bigger screen, brighter backlight, and faster CPU.

The camera bump is really just incredibly tacky. It pissed me off with all of the Android phones that do it, it pissed me off on the 5th gen touch, and it pisses me off now on the iPhone 6. Like, really? Their obsession with making the damn thing thinner and thinner and thinner has gone one step too far. All they have left to remove is the battery itself. Or maybe the light sensor, like they did with the 5th gen touch. (that thing is useless anyway, auto brightness has been broken since iOS 6)

16. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I would prefer thicker. Just a tad. I don't use 1 hand. I used 2 hands with my 3.5" iPhone 4. It'll be thick enough once I get an Otterbox on it. In January. :(

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

17. Vcoronel127

Vcoronel127 Member
    Bronze

My thoughts exactly. Why couldn't Apple just hear the consumer out by putting but a bigger and better battery.

I know they're obsessed about being thin but that's really pointless if your battery keeps dying. I would rather use a thicker phone that I can use, than a phone that's in my pocket because there's no more battery. #smh

Sent from my iPhonejdrlqweendeeqsseaalrwqlazOaas ewwrlsiiweoriredgeadkqssawAsoàXal

18. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

The iPhone 7t - t for Twiggy.

19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

On second thought, after a couple more days of usage, I guess it wouldn't matter if it was thicker because I have pretty much completely lost single-handed usability anyway. A bigger battery would be nice. I'm adapting to using it two handedly when sitting and standing, but this 4.7" is extremely difficult to use while lying on my side in bed, which I used to be able to do very easily for a couple hours at a time on my older iPhones. I have resorted to using my 5s in bed because it's just too difficult on my 6 in that situation.

20. Vcoronel127

Vcoronel127 Member
    Bronze

Wow. You use two phones? That would be hard for me to just keep switching

Sent from my iPhone

#20 Vcoronel127, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2014