Who would like to see a "Landscaped Home Screen"?

Would you like to see a "Landscaped Home Screen"?

• Yes

Votes: 21 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Stupid Idea

Votes: 5 14.3%

• Total voters

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I was wondering how it would look to landscape the Home screen so I photoshoped it. Then I started wondering if this would be something people would want as an option on their iPhones, since the landscaping of the keyboard was such a hot anticipated feature. It's not something I'd necessarily want but I'm always for extra features and options.

Would do you all think?

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Persoally with 3.0 I already think it's a pain waiting for it to render itself back, in apps that support landscape, when you accidentally move the phone too far in one direction. I don't see a problem with a portrait only home screen. don't get me wrong, I like/want the landscape support in apps like messaging, email, notes, etc...but not on the homescreen.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I was wondering how it would look to landscape the Home screen so I photoshoped it. Then I started wondering if this would be something people would want as an option on their iPhones, since the landscaping of the keyboard was such a hot anticipated feature. It's not something I'd necessarily want but I'm always for extra features and options.

Would do you all think?

Not sure about this kind of landscape. I always imagined the landscape mode leaving the layout exactly the way it would be if you turned it sideways now but only have the icons/apps rotate. That way you would always have 4 icons in the grey area and not have to choose more. Maybe have it as a "set" feature rather than turning the screen cause the settings and other 1st party apps would have to know to open in landscape. Also how about the "slide to unlock" screen? All reasons Apple may be holding off on landscape home screen. Gotta give you some credit tho, I'm trying to create a photoshopped version of what I said and cannot get it to look as good as yours.

koolhand79

Bronze
Oct 6, 2007
KILLA CALI
I think that would drive me nutz if they implemented that. everytime i slightly tilt my phone one way or the other my phone turns. then gets stuck for a second or two when i try to turn it back. or gets stuck period unless i put the phone to sleep. But hey new feature ideas are always nice and this one is definitely interesting.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I wouldn't want it but more importantly, how would the dock work?

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
i would like it, maybe if it wasn't triggered by the accelerometer but instead a setting you could have permanently set. I hate when im typing landscape in messages and then hit the home screen where everything straightens out just so i can go into mail and go back to landscape

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
i would like it, maybe if it wasn't triggered by the accelerometer but instead a setting you could have permanently set. I hate when im typing landscape in messages and then hit the home screen where everything straightens out just so i can go into mail and go back to landscape
Yeah that's what I was suggesting about it being a permanent setting. And once set that way you could also have a setting to have all the 1st party apps open in landscape as the default. Not sure but is there even a way to do this when an iPhone is jailbroken? That would be a good example of what it would look like.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
So long as I had the option to turn it off I wouldn't care.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I think that would drive me nutz if they implemented that. everytime i slightly tilt my phone one way or the other my phone turns. then gets stuck for a second or two when i try to turn it back. or gets stuck period unless i put the phone to sleep. But hey new feature ideas are always nice and this one is definitely interesting.
My sentiments exactly. This is how it works on the Blackberry Storm and it drove me crazy. I don't think it's a stupid idea, per se, but just one that wouldn't work for me at all. If it's added in the future, I'd just hope that there would be an option to turn it off.

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah, actually I did have it mind with an option to turn it off. That would drive me bananas as well if it they didn't give you a choice. What about an option to "freeze" it either portrait or landscape?

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Would love it for about 1 day - then i would love the setting to turn it off i think

toothdoc

Jan 27, 2009
make it an option for either landscape or portrait, I wouldn't care. IM+ messenger has that option with other programs as well. You can set it to either so it doesn't keep moving back and forth.
as for my taste...i prefer portrait.

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
The BB Storm does this and it is the biggest PITA. Most storm owners are begging Blackberry to provide an override so it stops flipping.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I was so glad yesterday when I noticed that a global rotation lock toggle was available in Cydia for use with SB settings!

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I was so glad yesterday when I noticed that a global rotation lock toggle was available in Cydia for use with SB settings!
Can you add it, then post screenshots of what it would look like?