who would replace their own battery?

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
I discovered the website ifixit.com which now has quite detailed instructions for removing just about anything from the iPhone. I am a reasonably good diy-er and the level of detail in these instructions gives me confidence that I could do this if I could procure a replacement battery for a reasonable price. It would beat the hassle (much discussed) of sending the phone back to Apple to have this done. I suppose there would be the usual warranty voiding issues, but the age of the phone at the time this was done would then be a factor.
mike

webb

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Southern NJ, USA
battery

For $50, plus the cost of shipping and a little bit of solder it seems like a good deal. But, for someone like me, I'd sooner pay the $79 just to have Apple do it for me jst to insure I don't mess it up.

Fred

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
hey yeah I discovered the ifixit parts list too. It's surprising what they offer, although many of their items they claim to be out of stock. Even replacement bezels for y'all stressing so much because ya fugged urs up ( who would have thought there would be 10 screws holding that puppy on?)
Mike

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I guess the next question would be, do you have the tools?

I have a mini phillips screw driver, but not the case opener tool. I'd like to do it myself, but as seeing that I may only do this once in the lifetime of the phone and that the tool itself may cost a good $10 then it may not be worth it anymore (aside from the hassle of not havig a phone for a while).

factor in a set of small screw drivers and that case opener tool and you have $15-$20 on your hands....now is it worth it?

I'll debate the issue myself when time comes to it....hopefully battery prices will drop by then.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
I guess the next question would be, do you have the tools?

I have a mini phillips screw driver, but not the case opener tool. I'd like to do it myself, but as seeing that I may only do this once in the lifetime of the phone and that the tool itself may cost a good $10 then it may not be worth it anymore (aside from the hassle of not havig a phone for a while).

factor in a set of small screw drivers and that case opener tool and you have $15-$20 on your hands....now is it worth it?

I'll debate the issue myself when time comes to it....hopefully battery prices will drop by then.

You would have to be an idiot or a major cheapskate to pick up a DIY kit....

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
You would have to be an idiot or a major cheapskate to pick up a DIY kit....
Wow, talk about overgeneralization :rolleyes:

How about not wanting to be without a phone for 3-4 days OR having to spend and additional $30 for a rental?

If you want to talk about idiots, I'd put people who post responses like yours in that category...

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
Wow, talk about overgeneralization :rolleyes:

How about not wanting to be without a phone for 3-4 days OR having to spend and additional $30 for a rental?

If you want to talk about idiots, I'd put people who post responses like yours in that category...
Thanks minivini. I was too busy sobbing into my pillow at being called an idiot to respond right away, lol.

why

Aug 3, 2007
Boston
As hard as it is going to be to be without a phone for 3 days, I am going to send it in. I just wouldn't risk opening it myself.

beej

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
If I screw it up, I'm out $600. If Apple screws it up, I get a new phone. Guess which one I'll go with?

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
I would totally replace my own battery. The Apple battery is about $80 and it takes about 5 days (1 day to ship out, 3 days to replace battery, 1 day to ship back). I already found some batteries + tools + manual for $20!

I'm pretty sure that by the time my battery dies, some chinese company will come up with some super iPhone battery that lasts twise the length of the original battery

Matt Random

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
I'm an electrical engineer so I have no qualms about doing it myself if I can save a considerable amount of money. The special tools aren't necessary. A flat blade is needed to pop the tabs to begin with then a plastic blade/probe is needed to get the case off. You could probably use a dull exacto and a plastic knife.

billybob

Jul 18, 2007
I took apart my Xbox360 (before they extended the warranty to 3 years)and fixed it........I am already intrigued by the idea of replacing my own battery for $30 bucks, so it will probably happen, I just hope it won't be for another 2 or 3 years. And by then I will most likely be more willing to make an attempt of that magnitude.