Wholesale iPhone 3G's... do they exist?

Discussion in 'iPhone 3G' started by mekaziah, Aug 4, 2008.

1. mekaziah

mekaziah New Member

I'm looking for wholesalers or distributors that are selling the iPhone 3g cheap and affordable either new, opened, or refurbished on a legit and non-fraudulent website.

iPhone 3g 16gb = $420 or less if possible
    iPhone 3g 8gb = $320 or less if possible

Minimum purchase would be one or better is the preference.

Any recommendations, suggestions, or advice?

2. chazm

chazm Contributor
    Silver

Why don't you just get a contract and get a 8gb for $199....if you really hate AT&T and have to cancel after 30 days its only $175 more.

199+175= $474 minus what you can sell the phone for

Chances are you will like the phone, if not you will come out more ahead than buying one with out a contract

3. Mech

Mech New Member
    Bronze

I think he just wants to resell them. I don't believe he wants to buy just one.

4. dturner

dturner Zealot
    Gold

You are right. To answer the question, there are no legit wholesalers that distribute the iPhone.

5. aenti

aenti Zealot
    Gold

If only. That would be huger profit right there.

6. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Hmm, let's think about this. A wholesaler buys from the manufacturer or a middleman for resale, and is able to buy for less than retail. Since Apple doesn't sell to anyone but carriers it stands to reason that there are no legitimate wholesalers. I would even bet that the price Apple sells to ATT is somewhere just below your target price, and they make it up in contract revenues.

I doubt you will find any legitimate deal as you descibe.

7. mekaziah

mekaziah New Member

Well, the closest I have come to is finding auction websites.. but I'm quite curious to know how some of these people are able to ship brand new or opened and unlocked iPhones for around the price points I quoted earlier.

I am assuming they are doing what was suggested by chazm.

What's the retail pricing on the 3g iPhones right now without a contract? $700 for the 16gb and $600 for the 8gb perhaps?

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

8. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

If they buy at $199 or $299, they are getting an OPEN box because it is opened & activated at the store, so that isn't how they get unopened boxes. Bottom line is that there is no legitimate channel, which was your original premise. If you are looking to resell, why the concern about legitimacy?

9. mekaziah

mekaziah New Member

Certainly makes sense. By term use of "legitimate" I only meant by avoiding scam and fraud related sites, nothing more. I do appreciate your responses and thank you.

What does AT&T's contracts say about activating and cancelling multiple contracts? Do they have a set limitation and already safeguarded such practices? Just curious.

10. psylichon

psylichon Genius

I wonder if people will ever just resign to the fact that it's going to be difficult if not impossible to turn a profit on a selling 3G's? That's just the way it is. Try another popular phone, maybe?

11. mekaziah

mekaziah New Member

I am not looking to turn a profit from the iPhone. I am simply interested in a popular product that deems high in demand. Just in "thinking" and "ponder" mode here and seeking feedback.

12. iMeth

iMeth Member

well 2bad try the new blackberry devices coming out.

13. mekaziah

mekaziah New Member

I'm not wanting to change the subject of this thread, but what models of the blackberry?

14. aenti

aenti Zealot
    Gold

The Thunder, I believe. Haven't been following Blackberry for a while, but I'm pretty sure that's the name of the touchscreen one.
    And although hard, it is possible to get an unopened 3g. You just have to have incredible sources...like the BoyGenius

15. desibhar

desibhar New Member
    Bronze

The bold is the one that is coming out next (non-touch screen). Then the thunder (touchscreen) and eventually the kickstart (cam-shell). Maybe even the javelin (curve replacement) after that.

16. Geo

Geo Member
    Bronze

There are no middlemen in the Apple and ATT iPhone world at the moment.
    It would be interesting what up10ad said as to cancell the contract and pay the difference.
    Only problem is that you would have a phone that remains locked to ATT. If that is a bother for you.

Geo

17. RXDI

RXDI New Member

18. MidwestGSM

MidwestGSM New Member

Blackberrys are 1000 times easier to find wholesale and the prfits can be just as great as iPhones. I think the benefit of chasing BB phones is that you do not waste all the time you do attempting, and usually failing, to find iPhone suppliers who are not frauds. It almost seems that BB suppliers grow on trees after searching for Apple products.

19. MidwestGSM

MidwestGSM New Member

Those who buy a bulk of phones to outfit their "businesss" from AT&T and cancel can only do so a very limited number of times. Then the phones still have to be software unlocked before sold. Most resellers are looking for never locked phones, which manily come from EU or Asia.

20. Fallguy

Fallguy New Member

I think you better recheck your math . Should be $374 , which would make it easier on the wallet to sell if you are unhappy.