• No

Votes: 17 24.3%

• Total voters

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
Think I am going to keep my 4s. I can't think of one good benefit for me to upgrade. I don't really use the phone that much. I prefer my iPad. Think I will just keep my cash in my pocket. New phone, new case, uhhh...no.

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
At some point revolutionary is no longer attainable and evolutionary is all you have left. Someone in another thread asked the question, "What did you expect it to do? Turn into a jet?" I think that is Apple's real problem. They have blown us away so many times in the past that everyone keeps expecting some revolutionary advance with the iPhone and, frankly, I'm not even sure that's possible anymore. Add to that the fact the real visionary at Apple is no longer with us and we may even see a DECLINE in the iPhones of the future. Doubtful but possible.

Add to that the fact that most of the functional, not hardware, changes with this iPhone are basically just catching up to most other smartphones. The hardware upgrades ARE upgrades, but really how much difference is a faster CPU going to make? How much difference is the camera upgrade going to make? And unless you have 4G LTE in your area (I do actually) that's not a selling point either. The lengthened screen is technically a bigger screen, but truly will really only benefit the video capabilities with 16:9 aspect ratio being truly attainable. Actual screen real estate is not really increased by that much. One row of icons worth.

Now, all that being said, this is still going to be a great phone. I would tell anyone trying to decide if they wanted to switch to an iPhone to run, not walk, and buy one. But for my dollars Apple has finally hit the point where I no longer HAVE to have the newest iteration of the iPhone. I'd shell out the full $850 unsubsidized price if this was another revolutionary step. But, unfortunately, the iPhone is just evolving now. I can save my money until it does sprout some wings or does something else I never realized I needed my phone to do.

iPhoneFan10

Bronze
Jun 27, 2010
I'm getting three i5s (2-16GB Black & 1-32GB Black).. After Gazelle pays me $778 for the three old phones (4 and 2-4S), I will have MADE almost $55.. Sweet!

theorioles33

Evangelist
Silver
Jul 21, 2007
USA
That S3 is looking really good right now.
The grass isn't always greener on the other side my friend. I have the 4S and the S3. While I think both are great devices, if I had to choose just one, I would choose the iPhone.

theorioles33

Evangelist
Silver
Jul 21, 2007
USA
A little disappointed I guess. I was hoping for a worthy opponent to the Galaxy S3.

Size is smaller. Camera inferior. Great OS though. That's the reason I've stuck with Apple.

But, using a friends galaxy and seeing how crisp the screen was and how much better the camera is over my 4s, it was a disappointing launch for me.

We have a better OS. The other phone is nicer.

There's my 2cents.
I've owned the Galaxy S3 for a couple months and I disagree. The iPhone 4s takes better pictures. Especially in low light or in a back lit situations without having to tweak the scene settings like on the S3. And size isn't everything. While the s3 screen is gorgeous, it's also cumbersome at the same time.

Skb2000

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 1, 2010
Scottsdale, AZ
www.sherrylbuchler.com
I'm getting three i5s (2-16GB Black & 1-32GB Black).. After Gazelle pays me $778 for the three old phones (4 and 2-4S), I will have MADE almost $55.. Sweet!
Wait till Gazelle gets your iPhones... they are notorious for changing their offer after they have your phones in hand. Don't count your $$ just yet.

(L)

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Arizona

You're better off selling them on Craigslist

Sent from my iPhone 4S using iCafe

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Think I am going to keep my 4s. I can't think of one good benefit for me to upgrade. I don't really use the phone that much. I prefer my iPad. Think I will just keep my cash in my pocket. New phone, new case, uhhh...no.
I feel the same way. This year there isn't even anything hardware related that won't run on the prior model (e.g., Siri being a 4S-exclusive last year).

The iPad has a lot to do with it. The difference in screen real estate is so huge that I don't really do much on my iPhone anymore other than messaging, email, music, some simple games (Words with Friends mostly) and navigation. I almost cringe when I have to use Safari on my iPhone. It's my iPad where I play much more complex games, media consumption, news reading/watching, etc. I don't see how the features of the iPhone 5 will do any of that stuff better, aside from making Safari slightly less painful.

To be frank I felt similar to how I feel now when the 4S came out. But I wanted Siri so got the 4S.

I hoped a larger screen might make things a little less cramped. I have played around with the S3 and that is how that felt to me. Still, I'm not quite ready to make that leap (to the "A" word). I will wait it out a bit and see how it goes. It is quite possible that any current-sized smartphone will still feel small after awhile (due to the iPad). Then I would be stuck with a bigger phone that is still not what I thought I wanted. Ugh, confused lol.

Michael

gadgetgal

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Since my full subsidy is not until next year, unless I am able to save up the cash, at this point, my 4S will keep me rolling, and I'm not terribly upset by this. and fact is, as someone else pointed out, by the time my subsidy is ready (May 2013), the next iPhone will be out likely then just like 4 months later. I just confirmed it is in fact May 2013, the 29th to be precise. may be the first time ever that I won't have every single version of the iPhone. (lol, yeah, woe is me, right?). I'm not sure why my date is May 2013. I didn't buy it in May. And my phone is the primary phone on my account. With the exception of one year, I have been able to upgrade almost every time within just a couple months of launch. Looks like AT&T has got me this time. But again, I'm not over the top bothered. I am more than happy with the speed of my 4S, the Siri app, battery life. And I'm not thrilled with the change of the dock pin requiring different charging cables and the like. Provided that this adapter thing works across the board to charge with the current cable as well as my car charger, then fine. I like to have multiple chargers around, work and home, etc. Well, this is all a moot point until the eventual time comes for me. And even though I'm not thrilled with the dock pin change, were I eligible to upgrade now, would I? Yes, of course I would just because. But it's just as well since I haven't had my 4S for a year yet. about 8 months or so.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Since my full subsidy is not until next year, unless I am able to save up the cash, at this point, my 4S will keep me rolling, and I'm not terribly upset by this. and fact is, as someone else pointed out, by the time my subsidy is ready (May 2013),
Mine said May, 2013 too. But when I called AT&T they said it was showing internally as October 8 and if I really wanted the iPhone 5 they instead could do a $200 credit ($50 more than waiting till October 8).

Unfortunately I am on the fence about the iPhone 5 so am going to wait it out for a while.

I think my early upgrade on October 8 can only be used with an iPhone.

Michael

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
I feel ya Tinman. I think you are confused because it is a new device and we are so used to getting them on release date. I honestly thought about it but I would be buying this phone just because it is new. It it too small for browsing and I don't stream data. Phone calls, music, and brief entertainment when I am in the back of an ambulance on my way to pick up a patient. Not nearly enough use to justify buying a new one. I am even stock right now. I have moved on to other interests and while this is still my phone of choice I am not as excited about getting a new one this year. Maybe the next one.....

Hayesimus

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 12, 2012
Every time I read someone talking about how this iPhone was a let down I just have to roll my eyes... Why do people expect something groundbreaking every year? There is never gonna be the FIRST iPHONE again. That kind of new will never be. It's only going to be incrementally better from here on out. And I also hate people complaining that they didn't make the screen size bigger. I do NOT want a wider phone. I think they look stupidly big and also won't fit in your hand as well. Why would I want that? I could easily go buy an iPad if the screen was my only concern. Taller works for me. Doesn't affect my grip. And everything else is fine. No complaints. But I've been using a crappy cheap phone since I moved to Verizon a few months ago. If I still had my iPhone 4 on ATT I might feel somewhat less compelled to upgrade. Probably still would but wouldn't be as enthusiastic. I think the new iPhone is a perfect iteration. Nice form, a few nice perks, and so I can't complain. I mean what else are you gonna do? Get a droid? Ew... I hate it when I have to use my buddy's phones... Droids are so... not smooth... :S

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
And I also hate people complaining that they didn't make the screen size bigger. I do NOT want a wider phone. I think they look stupidly big and also won't fit in your hand as well. Why would I want that? I could easily go buy an iPad if the screen was my only concern. Taller works for me. Doesn't affect my grip. And everything else is fine. No complaints.
I see your point but I must disagree. Since Apple has a death grip on the hardware and software they should offer MORE options. I want a taller and wider iPhone (if I am going to upgrade) and there isn't one for me to go to. Apple still firmly believes that I don't want what I say I want (since they routinely say they know exactly what the consumer wants) and it is getting annoying. I have used a larger phone, specifically the GS2 and I had no issues with texting or keyboard use. I am a two-hand texter so a wider phone works just fine. Options, more options, that is what I wish we would get.

Hayesimus

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 12, 2012
I'm just saying, they are selling a ridiculous amount of iPhone 5's and they haven't even been released yet so obviously there are more than enough people who disagree with you. So why would Apple want to make a phone that you would like more than the millions that have already preordered? There is just no motive for them to appease you. They are making millions doing what they are doing and every year people complain and every year they sell out of stock in record times... I'm just glad that my needs/wants are congruent with their profit margin. :)

I can not get a full discount upgrade my iPhone 4s on my current line until May 2013. I have two other lines that are available for upgrade. Yesterday I went into a local AT&T store and used one of those lines to preorder a black iPhone 5 using one of those lines. When it comes in I was told to take the new iPhone and the one one the line I upgrade and they will move the iPhone 5 to my line. They also told me they would buyback my 4s for $180.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
I'm ordering 2 new ones to replace two iPhone 4

Hayesimus

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 12, 2012
I can not get a full discount upgrade my iPhone 4s on my current line until May 2013. I have two other lines that are available for upgrade. Yesterday I went into a local AT&T store and used one of those lines to preorder a black iPhone 5 using one of those lines. When it comes in I was told to take the new iPhone and the one one the line I upgrade and they will move the iPhone 5 to my line. They also told me they would buyback my 4s for $180.
Sell your 4s on ebay. I would wager you could make much more than any retailer will offer. You could probably get up to 300 dollars...

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Sell your 4s on ebay. I would wager you could make much more than any retailer will offer. You could probably get up to 300 dollars...
300 dollars? On Ebay? That's like netting $240.... far too low.

4S's can easily be sold on CL for around $400. I sold my iPhone 4 for $350 just a few months ago (only 16GB). I would never sell my 4S for $300 (32GB).

Michael

(L)

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Arizona
I got my 4's on Craigslist for $150 16 gig

Sent from my iPhone 4S using iCafe