Why 6PM on a Friday?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jun 17, 2007
Anyone wonder why Apple chose to begin their distribution of the much anticipated iPhone at 6PM on a Friday? Here's my theory - many times corporations will release potentially bad news at a late time on a Friday afternoon to miss the evening news and give the corporation a full weekend to analyze the feedback and develop any needed strategies. Now please don't get me wrong - I personally think the iPhone will do great (hoping beyond hope that the ATT system will be able to handle the load and provide exceptional service worthy of the elegant design characteristics of the iPhone.) However, I do wonder if Apple specifically chose the late Friday launch time knowing full well that most news organizations still work on a 5 day week (Mo through Fr, with skelatal crews working the weekend days) and having those extra two days to analyze the first reviews that will start pouring in a few minutes after 6PM in each time zone. Any other thoughts on this release time?

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
Actually they likely chose it because it is when people are off work, but also when there is the fewest news stories going on, which means they will dominate the news coverage all weekend and into monday. Essentially getting 5 or 6 days at the top of the news.

If they did it on Monday, they would be off the front page by Wednesday.

Plus, we will have the whole weekend to show them off. They will make their official debut on a weekend. Think of all the places people go on a summer weekend. Great publicity.
I also think Steve was sensitive to the fact that we'll all be getting to know our new phones and won't have time for things like pesky jobs and other weekday responsibilities.

sajawebb

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
Plus, we will have the whole weekend to show them off. They will make their official debut on a weekend. Think of all the places people go on a summer weekend. Great publicity.
I also think Steve was sensitive to the fact that we'll all be getting to know our new phones and won't have time for things like pesky jobs and other weekday responsibilities.
And it's the 4th of July week(end)! :p

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Plus, we will have the whole weekend to show them off. They will make their official debut on a weekend.
Especially the weekend before the most American of holidays. How many people are taking off Friday anyway just because July 4th is next week?

Anyone else think the holiday has anything to do with the release date?

EDIT:
Whoops. Darnit. Already mentioned by sajawebb. Sorry. That'll learn me to jump on my responses before I read the whole thread.

EDIT #2:
Ok. One more thing. What a perfect time to release the phone. How many people are going on trips for the July 4th? Wouldn't a phone that has internet and google maps be the absolute PERFECT travel companion, especially if it's still a novelty? What better advertisement for Apple than thousands of vacationers at campgrounds and hotel lobbys playing with their iPhones instead of playing frisbee and looking at maps?

Lazarus

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Miami
it's not only so people can get off work and buy it, it's so the people not buying it can watch people buying them LIVE on TV lol