Why 9 min?

BWGrapher

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
I just have one curiosity this morning.

I'm using iPhone's alarm for waking up every morning.
I like to set the alarm one hour earlier than the time that I have to wake up.
Therefore, I set the alarm at 6:00 AM for every weekdays because I have to wake up at least 7:00 AM.

At 6:00 AM, iPhone start ringing to wake me up.
When I hear the alarm sound, I usually hit the snooze buttom, sleep/wake buttom or volume buttom.
These work all same which is snooze.
(If you want to turn off the alarm, you have to slide the bar on the bottom.)

When I hit the snooze, the alarm will re-ringing after 9 min.
So, at 6:00 AM, ringing.
Hit the snooze, then at 6:09 AM, ringing again.
Hit the snnoze again, then at 6:18 AM, ringing again.
As you can see, If I hit the snooze, alarm will ringing at every 9 min.

Why 9 min?
Usually, snooze feature is set to 5 min or 10 min, or you can set it up by your self on other devices.
However, iPhone is set to 9 min.
Is 9 min mean something to Apple or Jobs?
I wonder why...
Anybody knows why?

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
I hate scraping myself out of bed! You would think there would be some sort of option to adjust the snooze time instead of just an on/off switch. Maybe there will be something in a future update to remedy this. We can only hope!

Khris

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I always remember the snooze on alarm clocks being 9 minutes......but I haven't used a snooze button for years now, I'm up when my alarm goes off.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
I looked into this many years ago and I seem to recall that for old clocks the snooze feature was not very accurate and resulted in about a 9 minute snooze. In keeping with tradition modern clocks use the same 9 minutes.

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
All of the alarm clocks I've ever owned were 7 or 9 minute snoozes. I like the snooze button, it is my best friend and worst enemy(except KNK, but he doesn't know I'm out to get him yet..............).

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
I just have one curiosity this morning.

I'm using iPhone's alarm for waking up every morning.
I like to set the alarm one hour earlier than the time that I have to wake up.
Therefore, I set the alarm at 6:00 AM for every weekdays because I have to wake up at least 7:00 AM.

At 6:00 AM, iPhone start ringing to wake me up.
When I hear the alarm sound, I usually hit the snooze buttom, sleep/wake buttom or volume buttom.
These work all same which is snooze.
(If you want to turn off the alarm, you have to slide the bar on the bottom.)

When I hit the snooze, the alarm will re-ringing after 9 min.
So, at 6:00 AM, ringing.
Hit the snooze, then at 6:09 AM, ringing again.
Hit the snnoze again, then at 6:18 AM, ringing again.
As you can see, If I hit the snooze, alarm will ringing at every 9 min.

Why 9 min?
Usually, snooze feature is set to 5 min or 10 min, or you can set it up by your self on other devices.
However, iPhone is set to 9 min.
Is 9 min mean something to Apple or Jobs?
I wonder why...
Anybody knows why?
its from when clocks were purely analog and only used gears. the way the gears were configured it caused the snooze to only go for 9 mins and that couldnt be adjusted by the user or the engineer. now a lot of digital alrams use that 9 min snooze just because it was the standard for many years. i don't know why Apple decided to use the 9 min snooze instead of adding the simple function of adjustable snooze, but hey, steve jobs will control you as much as possible. we're lucky that we can even adjust the alarm and steve isn't making every iPhone owner get up at 6am lol