Why a speaker AND a headset?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Just had another idea today... why waste the space in the iPhone to put in a headset and a speaker? Why not incorporate both into one. Make the headset bigger and more full-range... more power.... and ditch the speaker altogether. When you're in headset mode, it assumes an appropriate volume, and when you switch to speakerphone or iPod or whatever... it opens up and cranks. Headset conversations would finally have some headroom and presumably more depth, and the speaker would be in a better orientation to listen to music while using the device, too.

It came to mind when I was using the speakerphone in the car just because I couldn't press the phone up to my ear hard enough to hear a quiet connection. Well, I was holding the bottom of the phone up to my ear, then to my mouth, to my ear, mouth... thinking, "this is retarded"

Anyway, thoughts?

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
That would be a good idea if they could guarantee that it actually worked right every time. Imagine answering the phone and putting it up to your ear just to have the phone malfunction and play the callers voice at full stereo volume into your ear. Ouch. I personally will be happy with a slightly larger and louder speaker for video and music playing.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
I have had hard-to-hear conversations every now and again, too. I've tried the speaker phone upside down thing, also.......doesn't work so well. We have all been complaining about that speaker phone volume since day one as you well know....Your space saving idea sounds great as long as ALL volumes are also increased significantly.....including but not limited to ear piece, speaker phone, vibrations...

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
That would be a good idea as long as it wasn't loud enough for anyone around to hear, but loud enough while playing music.