Why all the Fuzz?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

GBL

Jan 11, 2007
Why, Oh why do people make so much fuzz about a new cell phone?
It seems to me that Apple can introduce about anything and the people go berzerk about it. There is nothing innovative, new, or especially cool about the iPhone.
A touchscreen on a phone is not a good idea. Although very "Startreky", a touchscreen doesn't give you any response if you "clicked" a button or not. This can be very distracting. I really don't like touchscreens especially if I have to touch them with my fingers. Do they at least include a stylus?
So anybody tell me please: What's new or innovative on the iPhone? What is in it that we didn't see before?
To me Apple reinvented the Windows CE smartphone that I have for two years now.

Jan 11, 2007
You're right. The technology inside is really nothing new. Accelerometers have been around for decades, touch screens have been around for decades, and even Apple hasn't innovated multi-point touch. It's the way Apple has integrated each component in a very innovative and usable way. It's FINALLY made the cell phone a pervasive and usable device for everyone, despite technical knowledge (or lack thereof for some people). It's also created a truly "one device to rule them all" paradigm. While your CE phone or my Moto Q does a lot, it does a lot at the very high expense of a steep learning curve. The iPhone eliminates that learning curve - that's where it's innovation lies. Smartphones are now accessible for everyone!

i seriously couldn't put up with using a smartphone as they're absolutely terrible for humans to use, day to day, and i'm very technically minded! they are just designed soo poorly, far too complicated and illogical.

the iPhone gets round all the rubbish and makes it clear, simple and easy to use.

i applaud them for this one.

by the way, i'm not an Apple fan-boy. i've only JUST bought an ipod shuffle! ;)

GBL

Jan 11, 2007
You guys sure sound like Apple Sales people ;) or people that just joined a cult.
What exactly is "terrible for humans to use" on a smart phone or a pocket PC? Give me an example what is "designed soooo poorly, far too complicated and illogical" on a smart phone and why does the iPhone make it so much better.
And: How do you know that the iPhone is so much better "day to day"? Are you using one yourself right now on a regular basis? As far as I know they are not even shipped, yet...

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
Well...

Why, Oh why do people make so much fuzz about a new cell phone?
It seems to me that Apple can introduce about anything and the people go berzerk about it. There is nothing innovative, new, or especially cool about the iPhone.
A touchscreen on a phone is not a good idea. Although very "Startreky", a touchscreen doesn't give you any response if you "clicked" a button or not. This can be very distracting. I really don't like touchscreens especially if I have to touch them with my fingers. Do they at least include a stylus?
So anybody tell me please: What's new or innovative on the iPhone? What is in it that we didn't see before?
To me Apple reinvented the Windows CE smartphone that I have for two years now.
Well, you're correct that much of the capability the iPhone offers can be had elsewhere, but as noted above nothing thus far has integrated everything so well. Calling the iPhone a cell phone is like calling a computer a calculator. And equating the iPhone to a WCE smartphone seems to me like equating an Aquada to a Yugo. Sure, they're the same if one doesn't care about style and a quantum leap in capability (for instance, you can force feed a PalmOS or Windows phone some mp3s, but is it iTunes?). Regarding feedback on the virtual keys, I'd be happy if there were a little audio "clik" in lieu of something tactile, and it looks like there may be.

If you're decidedly anti-Apple, let's put it in Windows terms. Would you suggest that Windows 3.11 and Windows Vista are the same? If not, why not? They can both use the internet, both print, both make music happen, both open pictures, etc. The point is, Vista does that stuff better and there's more art, ergonomics, and esthetic to the way in which it does it. There's a reason the iPod has a cross-platform 65% market share, and it ain't just because it can shove music into your ears.

If you still don't care, no problem. No one will stop you from picking up the latest WinCE device. If you want to read some valid critiques, check out the links in this thread.

Cheers,

-K

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 11, 2007
There is an assortment of issues with CE and Windows Mobile. From a purely technical view, Windows Mobile is antiquated. It's actually microsized version of Windows 3.11 (with a few code cleanups). The "start button" concept does not work well on a mobile device. It takes at least 4 steps to dial someone in my contacts list. I have to unlock the phone, I have to push the contacts button, scroll down to who I want, select, and then select again to call. That is very inefficient. If I want to text, I have to go through the same amount of steps to do it(Unless you use something like txtman with messaging threading). It's not ubiquitous, like the iPhone is. I can't give my mother a Q and expect her to "automagically" know how it works. The iPhone's interface, at least at first glance, seems very logical and intuitive. Apple did it with the iPod - everyday joe can listen to his music library with great ease. That's why it's been a big hit. A stylus is awkward, a qwerty keyboard and thumb wheel is awkward. The best user interface experiences are the tactile ones - where you can touch and interact with the device like it's playdo. That, for decades, has been the holy grail of UI design - and it looks like Apple is pushing it into primetime.

Anyway, Apple hires entire legions of UI designers and researchers. The user experience is Apple's claim to fame.

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
Well said.
Apple "fan-boys" should not lose objectivity, and I do have some concerns at this point. With no known third party apps, I don't know if I'll be able to migrate my Palm life (DBs, etc.) to an iPhone. But let's just admit that the thing looks sweet. Apple's always been about enabling the user rather than getting in the way.

-K

rmort46

Jan 10, 2007
Migrating Palm DB, etc, to iPhone?

Well said.
Apple "fan-boys" should not lose objectivity, and I do have some concerns at this point. With no known third party apps, I don't know if I'll be able to migrate my Palm life (DBs, etc.) to an iPhone. But let's just admit that the thing looks sweet. Apple's always been about enabling the user rather than getting in the way.

-K
I am pretty much a tech dummy. I do own a Treo 650 since fall. But for all it can do, I am thrilled with its ability to strongly draw and hold a signal, make messaging an easy thing rather than a chore, retrieve my email remotely, get me to the net, and that's pretty much it. But it seems to me that the Treo is supposed to be able to download your DB, etc, to your Mac or PC. And I am assuming that there then must be a way to store that on the harddrive, etc, that would, in turn, make it easy to turn around and load it to the iPhone. Am I right? Would that actually make sense?

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
It's all depends on 3 questions:
1. Will the necessary app be available for the iPhone?
2. Will the Mac document format be compatible with the iPhone app?
3. Will there be a way to get the Mac document onto the iPhone?

So far, none of these questions have been answered. The one of most interest to developers is #1. If the iPhone becomes an open platform (as of now it isn't) then #1 will be true, and #s 2 and 3 will follow.

-K

P.S. rmort46, please post with a non-bold font. That's quite an eyeful at 8:00 AM!