Why Apple is coming out with a new iPod?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

dmksaved

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
Apple just came out with the iPhone . It is also called the best ipod yet . so why would Apple come out with a new ipod 2 months after the iPhone ? Well if you have an iPhone you probably have an ipod already. Apple is smart . come out with an iPhone that is 8gb . 2 months later come out with a ipod just like the iPhone but doesn't make calls and its probably 120gb . now doesn't eveyone with an iPhone want 120gb. so people with or without an iPhone would probably get the newest gaget out there . your iPhone was the newest gaget out there until today at 10am pst when steve jobs introduces the new ipods.

I am just guessing on 120gb . rumored that it will be 120gb.

I for one want to see the new ipod. i don't know though having my iPhone in one pocket and ipod in the other .. i would start answer my ipod and then be like woops thats my other pocket. but if the new ipod works with Apple tv wirelessly . that might push me over to get one .

any thoughts?

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
Umm...

maybe because they're a consumer electronics company, and if they're going to stay ahead of the curve and make money, they need to constantly update their product offerings.

They're going to offer new technology as soon as people are ready to buy it. That's what they do.

You didn't really expect Apple's product development to come to a grinding halt once the iPhone hit the market, did you? It's just one more piece to their puzzle. iPhone. New iMac. Now the new iPod. They're moving on to the next piece.

dmksaved

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
Umm...

maybe because they're a consumer electronics company, and if they're going to stay ahead of the curve and make money, they need to constantly update their product offerings.

They're going to offer new technology as soon as people are ready to buy it. That's what they do.

You didn't really expect Apple's product development to come to a grinding halt once the iPhone hit the market, did you? It's just one more piece to their puzzle. iPhone. New iMac. Now the new iPod. They're moving on to the next piece.
yes very true. next is the new operating system . I just wanted to post for people who are wondering why would Apple do this . and give an answer. and you just clarified it more.

iPhoneJones

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Apple just came out with the iPhone . It is also called the best ipod yet . so why would Apple come out with a new ipod 2 months after the iPhone ? Well if you have an iPhone you probably have an ipod already. Apple is smart . come out with an iPhone that is 8gb . 2 months later come out with a ipod just like the iPhone but doesn't make calls and its probably 120gb . now doesn't eveyone with an iPhone want 120gb. so people with or without an iPhone would probably get the newest gaget out there . your iPhone was the newest gaget out there until today at 10am pst when steve jobs introduces the new ipods.

I am just guessing on 120gb . rumored that it will be 120gb.

I for one want to see the new ipod. i don't know though having my iPhone is one pocket and ipod in the other .. i would start answer my ipod and then be like woops thats my other pocket. but if the new ipod works with Apple tv wirelessly . that might push me over to get one .

any thoughts?
I'm already sold on the new iPod with touch screen. I don't have video on my current 30 GB iPod. It seems like such a waste to have 30GB for songs and only 8GB for video and songs. I would like more storage for video so I'll get the next gen iPod if it is like the iPhone.

teufel657

Bronze
Jul 20, 2007
If I didn't just buy the iPhone, i would be all over this new ipod, even though my current one is only 10 months old. Time to take advantage of Applecare...I think my hard might 'break' moments after the announcement.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
To me it just seems really odd to release the iPhone which had enormous hype then to go and release a device that supposedly does everything the iPhone does except make calls does not make sense. You can say all you want about staying ahead of the curve but it just seems odd because if this rumor is true, and they do release this non phone device, it will essentially make the iPhone much less desirable and IMO will kill hundreds of thousands of iPhone sales. Honestly I might get rid of my iPhone if these rumors are really true.....

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
If I didn't just buy the iPhone, i would be all over this new ipod, even though my current one is only 10 months old. Time to take advantage of Applecare...I think my hard might 'break' moments after the announcement.

Apple care does not provide coverage for damage, just extends the warranty. Are you suggesting some type of warranty fraud?

teufel657

Bronze
Jul 20, 2007

Apple care does not provide coverage for damage, just extends the warranty. Are you suggesting some type of warranty fraud?
I would not do that, i've sold Apples and Applecare, and know the 'ins and outs' that go along with it. I know how it's done, and I've seen it done many a times, but i feel no need to do that myself.

iPhoneJones

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Is the iPod going to have Safari? If that's the case I will feel jipped. I like the browser on the iPhone. It was a major selling factor for me.

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
Why? Thats a easy one to answer... To make money.

If you can make a really great product better and make money off of it, why not? Thats kinda like asking why does the auto manufacturers make new cars every year. Just a way of doing businesss and staying in businesss.

dmksaved

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
Is the iPod going to have Safari? If that's the case I will feel jipped. I like the browser on the iPhone. It was a major selling factor for me.
this is a post for thoughts about getting a new ipod . just wait a couple hours to find out if it will h ave safari. we don't know . until it is announced.

dmksaved

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007

If you can make a really great product better and make money off of it, why not? Thats kinda like asking why does the auto manufacturers make new cars every year. Just a way of doing businesss and staying in businesss.
awesome response. I agree with you . it might hurt the iPhone sales though . thats my opionion.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC

This is not the auto businesss....

If the new ipod is an iPhone minus phone capability who the hell is going to buy an iPhone? 99% of iPhone buyers buy the iPhone for all the features BESIDES the phone. In many cases, the phone doesn't even function properly in certain areas where people own iPhones. I can definitely see iPhone completely failing if Apple takes this route. How many people are going to go to an Apple store strongly considering an iPhone but now they see this new iPod with wide touch screen, wifi, safari, etc...NO CONTRACT WITH ATT AND the cost is LESS. It is a no brainer, nobody in their right mind would buy an iPhone.

dmksaved

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
This is not the auto businesss....

If the new ipod is an iPhone minus phone capability who the hell is going to buy an iPhone? 99% of iPhone buyers buy the iPhone for all the features BESIDES the phone. In many cases, the phone doesn't even function properly in certain areas where people own iPhones. I can definitely see iPhone completely failing if Apple takes this route. How many people are going to go to an Apple store strongly considering an iPhone but now they see this new iPod with wide touch screen, wifi, safari, etc...NO CONTRACT WITH ATT AND the cost is LESS. It is a no brainer, nobody in their right mind would buy an iPhone.
that is probably 100% true . if the iPhone and the new ipod came out in reverse order . i would have bought the new ipod . and then would have been like .. oh i have that with 120 gigs and i cant make a call on it ... oh look i have a phone already ... so i would not have got the iPhone if i had the new ipod . great marketing from Apple and timing . I have the iPhone . im still not sure if im buying the new ipod.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
I wonder if Apple will try to compete against the much larger screen PMPs, with say a 7" handheld with WiFi for viewing and surfing around the house?

Hardcode some web widgets like News, Weather and TV Guide, plus add IR remote capability, and it'd be fun to have.

The large screen would also keep it from cannibalizing iPhone sales.