Why, Apple, why? (might be an old topic)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ohmster, Dec 8, 2012.

?

UI Orientation

1. Should be addressed...

33.3%
  2. Works fine, get over it!

66.7%
  1. Ohmster

Ohmster Member
    Silver

My wife's only gripe about the ip5 is the headset connector being on the bottom of the phone. I don't want to start that debate, as I am ok with it as is. :)

The point of this post is to understand why on earth the UI does not rotate 180 degrees? The root cause of her gripe is that she can't prop the phone on the elliptical sideways (Music controls are fewer in comparison to portrait mode) or upside down as UI does not properly rotate 180 degrees. It rotates properly in either landscape direction but not upside down (well it stays upside down, anyway...).

Why the heck not? Sorry if this has already been trounced in previous discussions.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No, it should not be addressed because it's a non-issue. Rotating the screen 180 degrees would defeat the purpose. You'd then have to hold it in an awkward upside-down manner or flip the screen back. And if flips right back, why rotate it upside down in the first place? The point is that it's natural to put it in your pocket upside-down, and when you remove it from your pocket, it's in the natural hand-held position.

3. Ohmster

Ohmster Member
    Silver

I disagree for non hand-held usage. I agree for hand-held usage.

If you are on an elliptical and need to prop the device, you have two choices, sideways and upside down. If upside down, the controls are also upside down. Which is horrible.

My solution of course for the elliptical is to use a BT headset. :)

But I have a similar issue in the car. I hate using the Infiniti's BT and dislike BT headsets while driving in general. There is a padded coin slot in which I place my phone. It has to be put in upside down to accommodate the power cable and the headset cable. Now that works fine for most things I need whilst driving.... Drives me nuts with Navigon. Darn map is upside down.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Can't have the best of both worlds. Most people use their iPhones in a handheld manner and put it in and out of their pockets much more frequently than they set them on an elliptical machine. Sure, it's not as convenient when placed on that type of machine anymore, but the headphone jack is in a better place for general usage now.

5. Ohmster

Ohmster Member
    Silver

Sure you can. Add it to the preferences.... :)

Usually you are on an elliptical for a fixed time, so being able to set it that way for that activity would be great.

But like I said, the point here is not the positioning of the jack. I agree it is the best place for it. The issue is optimizing the user experience. The elliptical is but one instance. My car is another. And I drive a lot (So Cal resident)....

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, I guess so. Some people would use it. It would annoy the hell out of me so I'd disable it. My car dock has two wings at the bottom so it's a non-issue there too.

7. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Yawn!
    Or you could just use your Walkman.
    Better yet Bluetooth headphones.
    Or we could remember it is a PHONE we should just be happy it has a headphone jack to begin with.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Or we could just accept that not everything on this pale blue dot is perfect and turn the iPhone on its side or put in a pocket when we're doing the elliptical thing.

9. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Now you are just being logical.

10. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I think 180 degree rotation would drive me even more bananas than I already am! :-P

11. Ohmster

Ohmster Member
    Silver

And I touched BT above. And just a phone? You are kidding I hope? Lets then take off all the apps as it is just a phone. :)

12. Ohmster

Ohmster Member
    Silver

I've stated why landscape does not work in this situation. A significant number of controls are missing in this orientation.

13. Ohmster

Ohmster Member
    Silver

I give. Too emotional a topic. :)

14. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Or we could stop complaining about one of the best improvements made to the PHONE yet.

15. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Again. Just a phone. Nothing to be emotional about.

16. Ohmster

Ohmster Member
    Silver

Oh come on now. Reread my posts. :)

I am completely in favor of the new location. I was looking to see if anyone agreed on a possible incremental improvement. It may appeal to some and may not appeal to most. It's not like I'm completely clueless. I have been designing and manufacturing high tech goodies for decades.

17. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I think it may appeal to perhaps 0.001 %. At the most. I think the majority love the new location. Flood the iOS with ridiculous options and it becomes cluttered and very Android ish.

18. Ohmster

Ohmster Member
    Silver

Again. It's not about the location. Hmmm, by that statement jail breaking should really be of no interest either.

Anyway, this is an opinion thread and we certainly know where the two of us stand. :)

Good night.

19. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I think by Apples placement of the jack and lack of option for rotation we know where the majority stand.

20. Ohmster

Ohmster Member
    Silver

Cool. Just noticed the iCafe app rotates 180 degrees when browsing. I'll just tell the wifey to cruise the forums instead... :)