Why are “No Caller ID” calls shown without timestamps?

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by Rafagon, May 4, 2016.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I just noticed that a No Caller ID call from yesterday doesn’t have a timestamp.

Well, it does, and it doesn’t. Technically, it has an incomplete timestamp. On the “Recents” call screen, iOS tells me that the No Caller ID call came in “Yesterday,” so it’s giving me the day part of the timestamp:

nocallerID1.png

But when I tap the ⓘ to get information, it simply says “No Caller ID.” It refuses to provide the time part of the timestamp:

IMG_1441.PNG

Why doesn’t it show me the time that the No Caller ID call was received, as it would with a regular call? After all, the person wanted to hide their caller ID information, not the time of their call.

If iOS is willing to tell me that the call in question came in “Yesterday,” why not go all the way and also tell me the time that the call came in?

Is there a setting somewhere that I could change so that the times of No Caller ID calls are displayed when I tap the ⓘ by those calls on the Recents call screen?

2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I'm not sure it's iOS telling you anything. It's probably AT&T telling this and that about your calls. I'm willing to bet a nice AT&T support rep could solve your mystery. I'm guessing times don't register with "No Caller ID" calls. How many "No Caller ID" calls do you get each month and what difference does it make what time they come in? You might could see the time if you went to your AT&T account online.

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I actually get them very rarely. I was just curious as to whether there was a good reason for the way it's currently set up. The fact that the No Caller ID call is displayed in correct chronological order on the call list suggests that iOS does in fact know the time of the call, just chooses not to display it.

4. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

You keep saying iOS? What goes there is determined by your Carrier.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The lack of a time stamp on the info screen for a call without caller ID is a limitation of iOS. iOS logs and displays the calls on the Recents tab regardless if they are though a carrier or not (FaceTime). It displays times for these calls in the Recents tab for the first day (see my screenshot), but the following day it will say "yesterday," then the day of the week or date after that.

image.jpeg

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Is it a limitation or is it intentional? I thought all the phone stuff was the carrier.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Both. It's something Apple could add if they wanted to. The device lists the time for the first day and then it just shows the date. They would just need to update the info screen for No Caller ID calls to show the limited informations that is available, which is the date and time.