Why are cases for the iPod touch so much better than ones for the iPhone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

CarbonFly

Bronze
Sep 23, 2007
Columbia, SC
Does anyone agree? It seems like there are a lot more options and better options for the iPod touch than the iPhone. For example, DLO has 2 new cases out for the iPod touch that I would kill to have for my iPhone. Speck also has better cases.

There is almost too many to list.

When is someone going to produce a functional case that is worth buying?

shawn

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
I think what drives it is supply and demand. Many stores just won't carry many cases for the iPhone, because they can't sell the iPhone, but carry other phones. Take BestBuy and Circuit City for example. Circuit City has a deal with Verizon that puts a damper on phone accessories for phones that compete with Verizon. Therefore, Circuit City will carry many iPod cases, but no iPhone cases. BestBuy carries a scant few iPhone cases, but a myriad of iPod(touch) cases. These two retailers account for millions of dollars of demand, so iPod case designers are extremely aggressive at making a boatload of variety for their lines, while putting iPhone designs on a relative backburrner.

GailLA

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 13, 2007
Northern IL
In addition to shawn's very good analysis, perhaps market research shows that more iPod Touches are projected to be sold. Also I imagine it is easier to design a Touch case since there is no camera or proximity sensor to worry about.

I haven't thoroughly researched it but I've found the selection of iPhone cases very good. Then again I know that a bunch only arrived recently (about the time I got my phone). I personally am partial to Sena since I have their case for my Palm T|X that I love. Sena has a great selection in their line, if that's your cup of tea they have 5 models in a rainbow of colors. They also have 5 models for the Touch, though several are still on pre-order. I haven't researched that for every manufacturer, but it seems like more cases are being released every day. You can get everything from a transparent skin to an Otterbox (though the iPhone model is not waterproof). That's a lot of variety.

So I think some of it is the "nature of the beast", i.e. the problem to be solved, and some of it is probably market research that shows how big the Touch will be.

Also, if you are having trouble in stores, shop online. I live rural and I shop online all the time. The prices and variety are usually better.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
i agree with shawn and GailLA - the number of cases available for the ipod touch versus the iPhone is probably a factor of supply/demand and that it's more complex to design a good case for the iPhone.

the ipod touch is not going to handled the same way as an iPhone - users aren't going to hold them up to their faces to talk into them, take pictures with it, etc. there is just much less that needs to be taken into account when designing a case for the touch. easier to design = easier to make and product with a higher chance of consumer acceptance.

but, yeah, i agree - the ipod touch cases i've seen seem to be a lot more attractive than the ones out there for the iPhone!

saysay

Bronze
Feb 7, 2008
Are you kidding me? once you've looked at every single available case by every company out there for the touch like I have, you see that most of them have 1 or 2 more special cases exclusively for the iPhone. There are a lot of companies that only make iPhone products too or products for phones in general which includes the iPhone.

Oct 12, 2009
Are you kidding me? once you've looked at every single available case by every company out there for the touch like I have, you see that most of them have 1 or 2 more special cases exclusively for the iPhone. There are a lot of companies that only make iPhone products too or products for phones in general which includes the iPhone.
Yeah, I do agree with you my friend..The Apple Store in Sydney will have iPhone cases from the next month. I know this because I wanted to buy one in advance...So i will say most of the companies do have some special cases always...

iPhone Skin

easykz11

Oct 19, 2009
yes im maybe guessing two things.
supply and demand.
also the thickness of the iPhone is a bit thicker so it might feel a lil more bulkier with a case when you have an iPhone.

iphonegirl

Bronze
Dec 10, 2009
Texas
I think that more people can afford the iPod touch and more people have them than iPhones so there is a bigger demand for them. So I would have to say supply and demand is a big factor here. I have found lots of neat cases on amazon.com though. I bought about ten cases for five dollars!

Ethan316

Oct 14, 2009
iPod Protective Casing

I think that more people can afford the iPod touch and more people have them than iPhones so there is a bigger demand for them. So I would have to say supply and demand is a big factor here. I have found lots of neat cases on amazon.com though. I bought about ten cases for five dollars!
Wow! That is good deal.

I checked out Amazon but was not able to find a deal like that. I have 2 iPod Touch 8 GB 2nd Generation and need some kind of protective covers that look good. Any suggestions?