Why are some apps killing my AirPlay connection?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
I picked up an Apple TV 3 today and am enjoying it so far. I do love the AirPlay feature for HBO Go but have noticed that some apps, especially games like Words with Friends and Candy Crush, will stop the AirPlay connection from working when most other apps have no problems. Why is this happening? Anything I can do to fix it? Sometimes I just need a Candy Crush fix while I'm watching a movie! :)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Some apps do not have Air Play support. Others have partial support (audio, but not video). WWF seems to just have audio Air Play support. Since it has partial support, it plays it the audio through the TV if your movie is on pause. It's really annoying. And it has a delay, too. I'm not sure why the WWF devs thought we'd want to hear out tiles moving around through our TV when we pause a movie to play in WWF. It still does it even if the phone is muted. The only solution is to turn the phone's volume all the way down or mute the TV. A lot of stuff the WWF developers do makes no sense to me.

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Ok, that makes sense. So WWF and Candy Crush have audio support. However, if I'm watching a video via AirPlay (through HBO GO or YouTube, for example) and start WWF the video stops and the TV goes to the Apple TV main screen. I'm guessing there's no way to prevent this. It seems if you are using one AirPlay feature and then start a second that the second trumps the first no matter what. Does that make sense?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yeah, that's what happens, unfortunately. Since WWF has partial Air Play support, it overrides the movie. I haven't found a way to stop it. All you can do is turn your phone volume down. I hate doing that because I forget and then I don't hear my alarm. I just avoid WWF if my ATV 2 is on.