Why are there no iPhone 5s pre-orders?

Jerome G

Bronze
Jul 12, 2010
The reason is simple. When two products are released and both are predicted to be great sellers you don't want to have them preordered at the same time. So they let one be pre-ordered because most will get the 5c and the other phone will be in its own sell point. That way they presell a lot of 5c and they already know the 5s will sell. Most won't get the 5s because they have the 5. Then again some will upgrade like me to get the gold color :)

Sent using iCafe app

I'm not understanding the rationale, unless you think that just letting the 5c be on preorder will sell more 5c's. I think most people who are ordering know which one they want so what difference will it make to let the both be on preorder. If people are anxious enough to preorder, they really want to get the phone ASAP and know what they want.

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
That guy might lose his job. As far as my research shows ONLY Apple stores will have the 5S on the 20th. This has been confirmed by Apple's wording along with my friend who is the mgr of a Verizon Store. He said that they will not have any on release day but can place orders on the 20th.
This is FALSE. I have been to more than one AT&T Store that indicated they will have them. I went to my local store last night and they said they will only have Space Gray. That sucks. Guess I'll have to order my golden phone online tonight.

Lucky for me, while some of you will have to wait until 3 AM local time to order, I get to order at 11 PM. One of the advantages of living in Alaska. And did I mention that the State of Alaska is giving each and every one of us residents of this great state a check for $900 on October 3? Just for living here. And filling out some paperwork last March. I love this state!

CASEACE79

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 29, 2009
This is FALSE. I have been to more than one AT&T Store that indicated they will have them. I went to my local store last night and they said they will only have Space Gray. That sucks. Guess I'll have to order my golden phone online tonight.

Lucky for me, while some of you will have to wait until 3 AM local time to order, I get to order at 11 PM. One of the advantages of living in Alaska. And did I mention that the State of Alaska is giving each and every one of us residents of this great state a check for $900 on October 3? Just for living here. And filling out some paperwork last March. I love this state!
You're right. This does seem to be the case. Both my local Verizon store and AT&T will not get any on release day. So camping it is for me. This time tomorrow I will be writing this on my 5s. NICE!

dallasjetfan

Contributor
Bronze
Oct 15, 2011

You'd have to pay me a lot more than $900 to live in Alaska.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah

My little brother lives in Alaska. He built his own house and guest house and he and his family absolutely love it there. The pictures of Alaska that he posts on our shared Photostream are breathtaking. I need to get up there soon to visit them and go fishing, kayaking and ice climbing on glaciers. I can't wait to see the aurora, too. The only time I've been there is on a layover and that doesn't really count.

RBNetEngr

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 17, 2013
I have never understood the impulsive thought process of 'needing' to buy the latest iPhone on the day it is released. Unless your phone is broken, so you have no phone, what's the difference if you wait a few weeks after the release date to purchase a new iPhone?

How could your one year old iPhone 5 suddenly become so 'dated' that you desperately 'need' that new iPhone 5S on Day 1?

Clearly, Apple creates this aura of 'need' by the way they present the new device. And maybe for the first iPhone, and maybe the second iPhone, which could only be purchased at an Apple store, it reinforced the hype. But now, on Day 1, you can buy one in person at the Apple Store, the phone company stores, Radio Shack stores, Best Buy, Staples, and a host of other online stores, how does the hype continue?

I LOVE Apple products, and have been a customer since 1993. But the hype is overblown, and unreal.

-rb

radtechy

Contributor
Bronze
Jul 20, 2011
You're right. This does seem to be the case. Both my local Verizon store and AT&T will not get any on release day. So camping it is for me. This time tomorrow I will be writing this on my 5s. NICE!
Where ate you located?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Booyow1204

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2010
Las Vegas
I have never understood the impulsive thought process of 'needing' to buy the latest iPhone on the day it is released. Unless your phone is broken, so you have no phone, what's the difference if you wait a few weeks after the release date to purchase a new iPhone?

How could your one year old iPhone 5 suddenly become so 'dated' that you desperately 'need' that new iPhone 5S on Day 1?

Clearly, Apple creates this aura of 'need' by the way they present the new device. And maybe for the first iPhone, and maybe the second iPhone, which could only be purchased at an Apple store, it reinforced the hype. But now, on Day 1, you can buy one in person at the Apple Store, the phone company stores, Radio Shack stores, Best Buy, Staples, and a host of other online stores, how does the hype continue?

I LOVE Apple products, and have been a customer since 1993. But the hype is overblown, and unreal.

-rb
I've always been late to jump on the Apple train. My 5 was the first one I bought soon after release date. A wk prior to the release of the 5 my 3GS was stolen at a bar. (Yes my dated 3GS)

I was scrambling to get a new phone and was trying to buy the five a day or two after it came out.

For most ppl I think it's the anticipation, the high standards and high bars that Apple sets for quality products.

I'm not w/waiting outside the Apple store on release day. Nobody has time for that. I don't think the hype is overblown to me cause everything is very high quality and can hold up to the media hype. I've been happy w/all my Apple products like you. I want the next iPad Mini and eventually a MacBook.

Obviously the Android lovers/iPhone haters and critics will always have something negative to say.

Sent using iCafe app

radtechy

Contributor
Bronze
Jul 20, 2011
Small beach town in southern Delaware.
Maybe cause of the location that's why they aren't getting any?

I was told that my store will have.

Only reason I'm going is so I can trade in my wife's 4S and get 200 on the spot and not have to mail it in and wait for the gift card. She gets my 5 and I get the new 5S

CASEACE79

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 29, 2009
Maybe cause of the location that's why they aren't getting any?

I was told that my store will have.

Oh I'm positive of it. I'm hearing more and more how constrained supplies are. A lot of stores won't even have any silver or gold either.