Why are we trying to jailbreak 1.1.1?

pn.md

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Seems like going to 1.1.1 really doesn't have any advantages besides WiFi iTunes. Appears that some of the apps will not work!:oops: Only reason I can think of is to have TV out. But does that work?

Having said that, seems like it would be a cool exercise to try just for achievement purposes...:p:sick:

marauderrt10

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
Seems like going to 1.1.1 really doesn't have any advantages besides WiFi iTunes. Appears that some of the apps will not work!:oops: Only reason I can think of is to have TV out. But does that work?

Having said that, seems like it would be a cool exercise to try just for achievement purposes...:p:sick:
The online bandwidth issue was fixed so no more crashing while on multiple pages at once.

Skipper

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Apple put a few tweaks in the software with the double tap ipod function and the double space deal, but true, nothing THAT important.

However, the reason we are trying to crack open the new firmware is to stay on top of the game. if we didn't know where Apple put the barriers on one update, and then they release 4 more with ACTUAL improvements to the software (in addition to even stronger barriers for hackers), then we are so far behind that it would be like learning how to ride the bike all over again.

Cant let Apple have their way if the way is unreasonable on their part!

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Charleston aka Chucktown, SC
the only apps that don't work are the customization apps .. but to tell you the truth, summerboard felt as if it was bogging down my phone anyway. Apple's transitions between springboards are much nicer than what summerboard offered. the rest of the apps work perfectly.

besides, we cant stay with 1.0.2 forever. eventually Apple will update the phone with things people really want. its almost confirmed that 3rd party apps will be supported in some form very soon since 1.1.1 had the capacity for more apps. i know i don't want to be using 1.0.2 forever. i'm happy with my jailbroken 1.1.1!

ciaran00

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
the only apps that don't work are the customization apps .. but to tell you the truth, summerboard felt as if it was bogging down my phone anyway. Apple's transitions between springboards are much nicer than what summerboard offered. the rest of the apps work perfectly.

besides, we cant stay with 1.0.2 forever. eventually Apple will update the phone with things people really want. its almost confirmed that 3rd party apps will be supported in some form very soon since 1.1.1 had the capacity for more apps. i know i don't want to be using 1.0.2 forever. i'm happy with my jailbroken 1.1.1!
Plus there's a new third party springboard enhancement for "multiple" pages in 1.1.1, too!

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona

I'm on 1.1.1 and it's jailbroken.

My main reason was that this was a rather large update for the iPhone and as long as it can be jailbroken I'd rather have it. yes, not many visible feature enhancements, but under the hood they changed a lot. So IMO the next few updates will be minor, as far as the platform is concerned (even if they offer more features). And since 1.1.1's platform was changed so much, I doubt Apple will rip it all up again for 1.1.2, etc. For all intents and purposes you can look at 1.0.2 and earlier as training wheels, if not beta releases.

And yes, as noted the springboard has been changed to natively support multiple pages (I have four). It also "remembers" the page you were on, so if you launch an app from page three the next time you hit the home button you will go to page three.

--
Mike

iPastor

Bronze
Aug 10, 2007
Virginia
www.myspace.com

My main reason was that this was a rather large update for the iPhone and as long as it can be jailbroken I'd rather have it. yes, not many visible feature enhancements, but under the hood they changed a lot. So IMO the next few updates will be minor, as far as the platform is concerned (even if they offer more features). And since 1.1.1's platform was changed so much, I doubt Apple will rip it all up again for 1.1.2, etc. For all intents and purposes you can look at 1.0.2 and earlier as training wheels, if not beta releases.

And yes, as noted the springboard has been changed to natively support multiple pages (I have four). It also "remembers" the page you were on, so if you launch an app from page three the next time you hit the home button you will go to page three.

--
Mike
So all 3p apps work except for "Customize", is that what I'm understanding?

tj911t

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007

--
Mike
So Tinman, which jailbreak method did you follow?, there seems to me more than one. Also, once jailbroken, are you using installer to load apps and do the apps automatically load on the new Apple sliding pages (or is that another mod that needs to be done)?

I am a little cautious based on what I read from the 1.1.1 update. In fact, I still am on firmware 1.0.0 (just was not convinced the deltas were worth the risk). Is there a step-by-step that applies to updating from older than 1.0.2 firmware or does it even matter? ... thanks!