Why buy an iPhone from AT&T?

sell_guy

Jun 23, 2008
Columbus, OH
So here is my delimma...I was one of those people who waited in line for the iPhone 3g release. I decided to go to my local AT&T store as it is much closer to my house than the closest Apple store. After getting my iPhone and playing with it for the past month, I have decided that I could never go without this device again going forward. I LOVE IT! But yesterday my beloved iPhone decided to crash and get the white screen of death. After doing some research on google and this lovely forum, I come to find out that this is becoming a known issue. Everyone online stated they went to their local Apple store and got this issue resolved by getting a new iPhone.

So this morning, after going 12 hours without my device, I got up and went to my local Apple store on my way to work. There I worked with a great guy, and he informed that they would definitely replace out my phone for no charge. At that time, he asked me the question that has ruined my day...."Did you buy this iPhone here at the Apple store, or at a local AT&T store?" I didn't think it mattered, so of course I gave the honest answer of my AT&T store. At this point in time, the Apple genius turned around and grabbed a refurb iPhone. I asked the guy why I was getting a refurb phone and not a new one since it is still under the 90 day warranty? The employee then informed me that since it was bought at the AT&T store and not the Apple store, they could not exchange out their inventory for AT&T's inventory so I had to get a refurb phone. This obviously did not sit well with me. So I asked the guy if I would have bought the phone there at Apple instead of AT&T would I still be getting the refurb phone? He then responded "No, I would get a new phone since I had my box and accessories with me."

So I leave the store, with my new REFURB iPhone 3g up and running and I ask this question to you all...

Why buy an iPhone from AT&T? If you have any issues with the phone you cannot go to any AT&T store to get the issue resolved, you must go to an Apple store. With this knowledge, I will make all iPhone purchases going forward at Apple and not AT&T, and I would encourage all others out there to do the same who have yet to purchase a new iPhone.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Some people have no choice but to buy one from an AT&T store if they have any sort of corporate or school discount applied to their account since Apple's systems can't work with this for some reason. That's a shame that Apple is handling warranty issues differently depending on where you purchased your iPhone. I don't recall these sorts of issues popping up with the first generation iPhone...

sell_guy

Jun 23, 2008
Columbus, OH
The corporate discount can be applied at anytime and no corporations get discounts on the iPhone equipment like they do with other phones. So why not just buy the phone at Apple and then go to the AT&T store to apply the discount?

And just for the record, I am in Columbus, OH so I don't know if these issues are happening everywhere..

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
The corporate discount can be applied at anytime and no corporations get discounts on the iPhone equipment like they do with other phones. So why not just buy the phone at Apple and then go to the AT&T store to apply the discount?
You're absolutely right - I canceled the corporate discount on my plan on 7/11 just so I could buy a 3G iPhone from Apple on release day since the AT&T store sold out, and then called to add the discount back on later. But a lot of people won't know to do that or simply won't want to deal with the hassle (even though it's not really a hassle).

I've read other stories like yours where Apple is handling AT&T replacements differently. It would be nice if Apple would state that they're handling replacement issues differently depending on where you buy it up front, but I doubt they'll ever be so forthcoming... :mad:

sell_guy

Jun 23, 2008
Columbus, OH
You're absolutely right - I canceled the corporate discount on my plan on 7/11 just so I could buy a 3G iPhone from Apple on release day since the AT&T store sold out, and then called to add the discount back on later. But a lot of people won't know to do that or simply won't want to deal with the hassle (even though it's not really a hassle).

I've read other stories like yours where Apple is handling AT&T replacements differently. It would be nice if Apple would state that they're handling replacement issues differently depending on where you buy it up front, but I doubt they'll ever be so forthcoming... :mad:

I agree! I just wanted to post the story to make others out there aware of this if they have yet to buy a new iPhone.

BTW, my new phone is working perfectly so far (even though it is a refurb) and its even getting a better 3g signal at my house than my old one did! :)

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
That is really unfortunate. Why could'nt they get a whole bunch of NEW iPhones that would be "from" ATT. Apple/ATT is losing a lot of goodwill IMO. I love my iPhone don't get me wrong, but these problems, and they way they are getting handled is a little crazy to me.

I feel your pain, after spending that much on a phone, then you getting a REFURB! Even it is was basically new, you didn't get the take that plastic off, it is just not the same. sorry, man.

CWulf

Aug 19, 2008
Sonoran Desert
You have more leverage with AT&T than I do

So here is my delimma...Why buy an iPhone from AT&T? If you have any issues with the phone you cannot go to any AT&T store to get the issue resolved, you must go to an Apple store. With this knowledge, I will make all iPhone purchases going forward at Apple and not AT&T, and I would encourage all others out there to do the same who have yet to purchase a new iPhone.
I bought from Apple and when I complain about the 3G service to AT&T, they explain it's not their fault my Apple phone is not working when other 3G phones are performing well. You can at least drive home the fact that they are the ones who sold you that phone along with the promise of "Twice the speed at half the price." They at least owe you some consideration for your pain and suffering, like maybe a $10/month credit until the 3G problems are fixed? Worth a try :cool:

wellz

Aug 5, 2008
ATLanta, GA
man, i didn't even know that people were receiving refurbs if they bought their phones from AT&T. just so happens im due for an appointment tomorrow in hopes to get a replacement. and i was hoping id get a new phone.

question: what happens if the refurb i receive is a phone thats all outta wack as well? could i return it? and another question, do you guys think if i put up enough of a fight that ill get a BRAND new phone?;) wat are my chances? Thanks in advance...

wellz

Aug 5, 2008
ATLanta, GA
cool.. i think i can deal with owning a refurb, as long as its in a better condition than the one i own is. but in the process im gonna make sure i ask them if theres any way of knowing what the original issues were with the refurb. ive had my phone for 2 weeks, im hoping the refurb looks 2 weeks old :sick:

Last edited by a moderator:

sell_guy

Jun 23, 2008
Columbus, OH
cool.. i think i can deal with owning a refurb, as long as its in a better condition than the one i own is. but in the process im gonna make sure i ask them if theres any way of knowing what the original issues were with the refurb. ive had my phone for 2 weeks, im hoping the refurb looks 2 weeks old :sick:
Good luck!:laugh2:

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
question: what happens if the refurb i receive is a phone thats all outta wack as well? could i return it? and another question, do you guys think if i put up enough of a fight that ill get a BRAND new phone?;) wat are my chances? Thanks in advance...
As has already been stated, a refurb carries the same warranty. As for getting a NEW phone, I think this will vary for store to store. It is just the luck of the draw and who you get to wait on you. If you go in with a nice calm attitude you just might come out with a new phone instead of a refurb.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
That's very true. If you remain level headed and reason with the Apple Genius then it is very likely that you will get what you want. If that doesn't work, there is always the alternative of kicking and screaming, that might work.

I got my iPhones (v1 and 3G) at an AT&T store for the fact that THEY provide the service so were better able to answer my service related questions.

Actually, I have now made two phone calls to AT&T in regards to my account because two different AT&T representatives have failed to get my account set up as it should be, nearly 2 months later. Hopefully the call I made today resolved all of the issues.

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
From what I heard, there are no refurbished units yet, since they are all brand new. I went to have my launch day iPhone 3G replaced and I got one from under the counter in a white box replaced. They gave me a new serial number sticker to place on my original box and had me keep the original box, accessories, etc. I asked the guy (genius) like 3 times or more if it was a refurb or not and he said it was brand new, since they don't have refurbs yet. I bought my phone from an Apple Store originally. The white boxed phones are just non-inventory items as opposed to a new one with a box from the back.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
From what I heard, there are no refurbished units yet, since they are all brand new. I went to have my launch day iPhone 3G replaced and I got one from under the counter in a white box replaced. They gave me a new serial number sticker to place on my original box and had me keep the original box, accessories, etc. I asked the guy (genius) like 3 times or more if it was a refurb or not and he said it was brand new, since they don't have refurbs yet. I bought my phone from an Apple Store originally. The white boxed phones are just non-inventory items as opposed to a new one with a box from the back.
There are definitely refurbs out there. The reason you got a new phone is because your original was purchased at an Apple Store.:)

Nemss316

Bronze
Jun 17, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Yep, i can vouch for that as well. Went last night to get my unit replaced that I had just purchased last Friday. The tech tells me that I will receive a new phone, yet he came out with a white box. I immediately asked if it was a refurb unit, and he told me that the phone is actually brand new, its just without the SIM card. Mainly so that way the people at the store don't have to open a new box with all of the accessories in it. So he then placed my SIM card in the replacement phone, gave me my new serial # to put on the box, and away I went!

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
grabbed a refurb iPhone
How do you identify it as a refurb. I read on the V1 you could tell by the Serial. Even exchanging with a new iPhone, it would make no since for Apple to give you one in an original box will all the accessories. The cost factor would make no since.

Also one more thing, in the past when I had phones exchanged through AT&T the paper work stated it was a refurb. Does Apple do that?

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
I think you will know its a refurb if you have Paris Hiltons contacts in there :p...actually i don't think there is a way of knowing, aside from visual imperfections...but i could be wrong.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I think you will know its a refurb if you have Paris Hiltons contacts in there :p...actually i don't think there is a way of knowing, aside from visual imperfections...but i could be wrong.
There would be no visual defects. All refurbs end up looking like new and in some cases are better than new.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
when i got mine from att i asked several times if i had problems with it how would i get an exchange? two different employees were like just bring it to us and well replace it if it has any problems. i also have two friends that work there that said the same thing. i was all worried when i was researching about getting one because i read all of you guys horror stories so i made sure if it was a POS i could get a new one.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Apple gave a cool bag. :laugh2: I went to Apple on iDay2 (July 11) and got my corporate discount removed. Got my iPhone 3G. Went to AT&T the next day and got it reapplied. I only did that because AT&T ran out on the first day. Apple seemed to have an endless supply.