Why can iPhone icons stay up to date with the date but not the weather?

Dragoro

Bronze
Sep 9, 2007
Seems like it should do both.....

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I do wish the weather icon could change for the temperature of the first city in the list. That would save me a lot of hassle of waiting for all of the cities to load. Definitely a novel idea.

Jul 23, 2007
I do wish the weather icon could change for the temperature of the first city in the list. That would save me a lot of hassle of waiting for all of the cities to load. Definitely a novel idea.
Co-sign for use and cool-factor.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
ah yes, #126 on the "simple things to implement that we'll never have" list.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Most likely because the date can be determined without accessing the network, but the weather cannot. I would not mind a periodic check (say once per day), however.

There's lots of things that should be configurable on the iPhone and are not. O Update, Update, why hast thou forsaken me? Alas, a Palm I hope you do not become!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
true, it is not as simple as determining the date... however, if a Vista gadget can accomplish the task, i'm pretty sure Apple could figure something out.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
The iCal icon in Leopard has also been updates to show the current date; it sat at July 16th in Tiger.

I'm quite sure this is possible; it may take a second to load,but surely possible.

- John

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Absolutely possible; they probably were thinking that non-critical data like that should only be updated on-demand. They could have made it configurable, but chose not to - back to my earlier point. One thing I am interested to see with the SDK is how many apps spring up to overcome Apple's laziness.