Why can't Apple do this...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

tymphillips

Bronze
Aug 31, 2007
I unlocked my iPhone, but still stayed on AT&T's network and then for some reason upgraded to 1.1.1. As many already know the phone doesn't work anymore after you do that. It doesn't matter if you have the AT&T sim card or not. If this is all because of the new software update then how come we can't just say okay Mr. Steve Jobs and AT&T you got me. I will stay on AT&T's network if you fix my phone. I just want my phone to work again!

[Note] I'm selling my 8GB iPhone right now for $250.
It's unlocked w/ 1.1.1
Phone won't get past "Incorrect SIM" screen.
Any questions message me.
I'm just tired of Apple and don't want the iPhone after this update and him slashing the price on us early buyers.

-RG-

Sep 18, 2007
just curious, why would you unlock and not switch carriers, can you do something us locked down iPhones can't do

tymphillips

Bronze
Aug 31, 2007
Just wanted to do it. I still have T-Mobile for another year. I wanted the iPhone so I got service with AT&T. Now Apple told me I was screwed and that I have a $400 cell phone that doesn't work. Since Apple was going to do this all they had to do was issue a statement saying, if you have unlocked your iPhone and want to relock it do follow these steps...etc!

Joon

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
All you need is a new sim card. I have a buddy that had this happen to his unlocked phone today. He went to the Apple store and said that he was updating his phone and it went bad. They gave him a new AT&T sim card and he is good to go now. Apple is not bricking the phones, they are basically disabling the SIM cards, all SIM cards AT&T or not that are in unlocked iPhones.

tymphillips

Bronze
Aug 31, 2007
I went to the AT&T store and they game me a new sim card and no luck. I called Apple and asked if I could do anything and they said my phone was useless now.

webb

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Southern NJ, USA
I unlocked my iPhone, but still stayed on AT&T's network and then for some reason upgraded to 1.1.1. As many already know the phone doesn't work anymore after you do that. It doesn't matter if you have the AT&T sim card or not. If this is all because of the new software update then how come we can't just say okay Mr. Steve Jobs and AT&T you got me. I will stay on AT&T's network if you fix my phone. I just want my phone to work again!

[Note] I'm selling my 8GB iPhone right now for $250.
It's unlocked w/ 1.1.1
Phone won't get past "Incorrect SIM" screen.
Any questions message me.
I'm just tired of Apple and don't want the iPhone after this update and him slashing the price on us early buyers.
You were warned.....you're beat! No sympathy here.

Giies

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
why don't you just wait for a few day before selling it, i'm sure there's gonna be a way to fix it.

Nikos

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Long Island, NY
www.nikostoscani.com
Just take it back and exchange it.
http://www.tuaw.com/2007/09/27/apple-geniuses-are-reportedly-unbricking-iphones/

Don't get ripped off for your own iPhone...

And for gods sakes, let me not be the only one to tell you... LIE THROUGH YOUR TEETH. You never unlocked it.
Tried that today. Lied right through my teeth and argued for 20 minutes. I played stupid as best I could. They told me I was out of luck. The IMEI in my phone did not match the IMEI on the back, and they said that's IMPOSSIBLE to happen straight out of the box. I tried everything in the book, and they would not replace it.

bloodbath18

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Tried that today. Lied right through my teeth and argued for 20 minutes. I played stupid as best I could. They told me I was out of luck. The IMEI in my phone did not match the IMEI on the back, and they said that's IMPOSSIBLE to happen straight out of the box. I tried everything in the book, and they would not replace it.
Just a question? How the hell did they found out the IMEI on your phone if its already bricked?

Aug 1, 2007
Just a question? How the hell did they found out the IMEI on your phone if its already bricked?
easily, press the i icon in the right hand corner.. he doesn't mean BRICKED, he means BRICKED as in Invalid SIM, or other errors most likely... And that means im out of luck to because my IMEI is not the same anymore :-III

Nikos

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Long Island, NY
www.nikostoscani.com
easily, press the i icon in the right hand corner.. he doesn't mean BRICKED, he means BRICKED as in Invalid SIM, or other errors most likely... And that means im out of luck to because my IMEI is not the same anymore :-III
I think that Mac Genius bastard lied to me. When I dial *#06# or press the "i" icon, the IMEI on my screen is the SAME EXACT IMEI on the back of my phone.

He went on to say that since it's saying "No SIM card installed" instead of "Invalid SIM card installed" means it's unlocked. Whether or not that's true shouldn't matter because the IMEI matches.

I also heard that some people using GoPhone (prepaid AT&T) got the "No SIM card installed" error after updating, and if you mention that you were using GoPhone they should replace your phone, but does GoPhone even work with the iPhone? I didn't think it did.

ZodiacfreaK

Bronze
Jan 11, 2007
yeah there is a go phone option in the iTunes menu, I think it was prtly hidden or something like that, or you had to fail the plan options in order to see it. But that argument should work.

ciaran00

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Sorry to hear that :(