Why can't I? Mobilefinder question.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

DeathBySnuggles

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Tampa, Fl
Why can't I create a folder, stick some jpg's that were taken with the phone in that folder, navigate in mobilefinder and be able to view the images with Mobilepreview?

Right now if I open mobilefinder and double tap the new folder I created with some jpg's in it, it freezes the phone and I have to restart. Any ideas?

DeathBySnuggles

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Tampa, Fl
I just tried it myself and have no problem doing so.
Mind if I pick your phone for a sec?

what verison of finder, preview and bsd do you have?
Are you populating the folder with jpgs?

I have a folder where I uploaded my custom app icons so i can copy paste over the defaults after an update. Those work just fine and are in PNG format.

andrew79

Bronze
Aug 27, 2007
Mobile Finder - 1.6.5
Mobile Preview - 0.1.0
BSD Subsystem - 1.5

I think u may have a corrupt image file in your camera roll folder thats giving you problems. You should be able to dock it with your desktop and just delete the bad image manually by browsing the Apple digital camera folder as you would normally when copying images from your phone. Good luck.

DeathBySnuggles

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Tampa, Fl
Mobile Finder - 1.6.5
Mobile Preview - 0.1.0
BSD Subsystem - 1.5

I think u may have a corrupt image file in your camera roll folder thats giving you problems. You should be able to dock it with your desktop and just delete the bad image manually by browsing the Apple digital camera folder as you would normally when copying images from your phone. Good luck.
Well they are images that i took off the phone, put on my computer, then uploaded into that folder user ibrickr. maybe the problem is in there.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Why can't I create a folder, stick some jpg's that were taken with the phone in that folder, navigate in mobilefinder and be able to view the images with Mobilepreview?

Right now if I open mobilefinder and double tap the new folder I created with some jpg's in it, it freezes the phone and I have to restart. Any ideas?
Assuming you have the latest version of the Mobile Finder/Mobile Preview did you check permissions? And just to be safe, did you check for this line in MF's settings:
jpg:com.google.code.MobilePreview

The jpg should show as an icon in MF too.

All this said I am not sure how valuable MobilePreview is right now for jpgs, being that it has no ability to zoom or change orientation (those features should be coming, however). I do like Mobile TextEdit!

--
Mike

andrew79

Bronze
Aug 27, 2007
I remembered reading somewhere on the forum that sometimes an image does get corrupted and will screw around with certain program such as the camera roll. I had a corrupted image once that was just crashing my iPhone when I tried to view in using camera roll. Try syncing the image file using iTunes and then move it to the folder you want using mobilefinder.

DeathBySnuggles

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Tampa, Fl
Assuming you have the latest version of the Mobile Finder/Mobile Preview did you check permissions? And just to be safe, did you check for this line in MF's settings:
jpg:com.google.code.MobilePreview

The jpg should show as an icon in MF too.

All this said I am not sure how valuable MobilePreview is right now for jpgs, being that it has no ability to zoom or change orientation (those features should be coming, however). I do like Mobile TextEdit!

--
Mike
I have not checked permissions yet. I created the folder through ibrickr. file association is correct. The issue is i'm not even able to open the folder itself. I can't get to the point where i see the file list for the jpg's. I tap the new folder and that's where it freezes. same thing if i try to browse the native camera roll folder.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I have not checked permissions yet. I created the folder through ibrickr. file association is correct. The issue is i'm not even able to open the folder itself. I can't get to the point where i see the file list for the jpg's. I tap the new folder and that's where it freezes. same thing if i try to browse the native camera roll folder.
It sounds like it is freezing when trying to create the thumbnails/icons.

Are there many JPGs in the folders you are trying to open? If so, see if opening a folder with fewer JPGs helps.

Also, you should be able to view PNGs with Mobile Preview. Can you get into folders with PNGs, and if so can you open the PNGs?

I would go with the corruption suggestion, but not if the same thing happens with camera images (that's how I tested JPGs with MP, as they were the only JPGs on my iPhone, that I knew of anyway).

--
Mike

DeathBySnuggles

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Tampa, Fl
It sounds like it is freezing when trying to create the thumbnails/icons.

Are there many JPGs in the folders you are trying to open? If so, see if opening a folder with fewer JPGs helps.

Also, you should be able to view PNGs with Mobile Preview. Can you get into folders with PNGs, and if so can you open the PNGs?

I would go with the corruption suggestion, but not if the same thing happens with camera images (that's how I tested JPGs with MP, as they were the only JPGs on my iPhone, that I knew of anyway).

--
Mike
Progress! I was too many images in a single folder. The freezing must have been finder trying to render the thumbnails. I made 4 subfolders with 5 images in each. Now I can gain access to it, but as soon as the images are loaded and i scroll, the application quits. I'm going to give it a reboot just to see if i need to shake some cobwebs off.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Progress! I was too many images in a single folder. The freezing must have been finder trying to render the thumbnails. I made 4 subfolders with 5 images in each. Now I can gain access to it, but as soon as the images are loaded and i scroll, the application quits. I'm going to give it a reboot just to see if i need to shake some cobwebs off.
Aha, I kinda figured that was it.

The thumbnail routines do indeed need work, which I would imagine will be forthcoming.

Another quirk I found is if I go to a folder with an image (PNG) and then go to another folder with a different PNG, but with the same name, the thumbnail shows the previous image. So the caching of thumbs seems to be an issue.

--
Mike

DeathBySnuggles

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Tampa, Fl
Aha, I kinda figured that was it.

The thumbnail routines do indeed need work, which I would imagine will be forthcoming.

Another quirk I found is if I go to a folder with an image (PNG) and then go to another folder with a different PNG, but with the same name, the thumbnail shows the previous image. So the caching of thumbs seems to be an issue.

--
Mike
Yes. I've noticed that with every NES update. I have a folder containing my custom icon. Whichever folder I see first, the app or the icon storage, that is the thumbnail that appears no matter what. It's ok so long as I don't space out while i'm copy pasting and move the wrong file.