Why create a free app?

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by bams50, Dec 5, 2011.

1. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

This will probably seem like a dumb noob question to a lot of you, but- why would anybody bother to create an app and give it away free? Being mostly computer illiterate I am amazed every day by what it must take to make (or is it write?) an app, and at the number of truly useful and amazing apps I've gotten for free! Heck, even the ones that are a buck or two seem to be a steal.

I reasoned that somebody might make an app and sell it for a buck thinking an economy of scale- that there are so many people in the market that even at a buck per that might add up to a big payday if the app takes off; but I can't understand why someone would put in all the effort to think up, design, build, and publish an app- for free. Yet as we know, there are tens of thousands of free apps, some that are downright amazing!

I'm sure some of you real smarties are laughing at this dummy (and I'm OK with that!):), since obviously there's got to be an explanation that makes sense. I just can't think of what that would be?:confused: Education appreciated!

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Some devs might just want the exposure before creating an app that they want to sell. Some actually do it for the fun and satisfaction of creating an app, I'm sure.

3. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

They may also garner revenue from advertisements or in-app purchases.

4. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Some lite or free apps after some use make u want to upgrade to full version for which you pay for.

5. jcmitchell5

jcmitchell5 Contributor
    Silver

I agree with the advertisements. You make a free app that is very very successful and companies will pay you big time dollars to be advertised in that game. That is why you see words with friends free with advertisements and then you see words with friends that you pay a dollar. Either way, the game is popular and making money.

6. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Apps can add value, say to a website and it's members. :D

7. Maxmuscle66

Maxmuscle66 New Member

8. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

Some interesting comments here. I can't even begin to guess what goes into building an app, even once you have your idea. It's SOO far over my head.

My two latest free apps are AMAZING- '360' for panoramic shots, and 'Heart Rate'. I'm very thankful for them, and still marvel that they're free.

I think the App Store is iPhone's biggest selling point, followed by the iPod function. And Siri already has some neat features, but I can see that becoming world-changing as it evolves and develops.

Oh yeah, and it makes phone calls too!:)

9. Maxmuscle66

Maxmuscle66 New Member

So what is up with Samsung trying once again to upstage the iPhone and dis it in their commercials?

10. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

That's got to be the record for being the farthest OT post ever.O_o

11. Locutus

Locutus Member
    Bronze

I believe Maxmuscle66 is a spammer.

Sent from my iPhone 4 JB iOS 4.3.3 using iCafe app