Why did AT&T offer a discount on iPhone?

Nosaj13

Feb 27, 2009
So last night I decided that I'd sell my 3g on ebay and upgrade to the 16GB 3GS for $399 (since I just bought my phone in December. I get an email saying my credit card info was incorrect and I needed to call to correct it. Here's where it gets interesting...I call the premier 800 number and this guy says to me "you shouldn't be charged that much..the 3gs has dropped drastically in price." figuring he's just confused I say "ok" just to see what would happen. He says "let me send this to my supervisor before I tell you the price..but I think you will be really happy." Then he tells me it'll be 199 for the 16gb or 299 for the 32gb with a 2 year contract extension. I say ok..then I'll take the 32gb. he runs it through and gives me a confirmation number and tells me my credit card will be charged $324. what gives? has there been a change we don't know about or did this guy (and his supervisor) screw up?

Jan 6, 2008
Because you started a new 2 year contract.

Nosaj13

Feb 27, 2009
well..i'm only 6 months into my other 2 year contract and I figured that I wasn't eligible for an upgrade at that price until I'm at least 1 year into my 2 year contract...is that how it works? Because if that is so...that's a great deal!

patrick_83

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
Illinois
$299 + tax + $18 fee i think to upgrade the iPhone.

Edit: If you are only 6 months into the 2 year contract though that seems weird i would think it would be more.