Why did my data plan get increased to 2GB if I was nowhere near my 250MB limit?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rafagon, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Should I call AT&T? Or, once I exceed 250MB during any given cycle, am I automatically upgraded to the 2Gig/month plan until I call them and complain?

Here's a screenshot of my usage, well below 250MB, but my limit mysteriously upped to 2 GB.

Sent from my alphanumeric pager.

photo.png

2. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

It was explained to me one time that yes you are automatically increased to 2gb once you reach the 250. They charge you the ten dollars or water it is for that for the month. They also said of the believe you are going to go over they will do it ahead of time. You can call an I am sure they will take u back down to 250 but if you do get over they probably won't bump you up and will charge you overages.
    They are trying to help you

;)

3. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

Just call them and have them out it back.

I don't believe they will bump you up if they believe your gonna go over. Of they did they would bump everyone up, saying the think they might go over. And also, I believe if you go over they will charge you $15 for another $250. But, that was the 200MB, and this is the 25M,B.

4. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

That is odd though since at this rate he would be projected to use less than 50MB for the whole billing cycle--less than 1/5th of his data plan.

When you tap the "i" what plan does it say you have?

But more importantly.... One single text in THREE DAYS?

Michael

5. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Lol I didn't see that. Good catch. He has one text in three days and that other guy has 631 unread texts lol

;)

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Have you ever exceeded 250 MB? If not, it sounds like a glitch. Just give AT&T a call.

BTW, I recommend removing your screenshot since it includes personal information. You can use this one instead if you want. I cropped it for you:
    [​IMG]

7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I'm not a texter right now, but not by choice. Unemployed, thereforee every penny counts. Plus, I can text unlimited via words with friends. :). I was on the $2.99/100 text plan, a plan that AT&T apparently offers you when you tell them you want to get rid if your text plan altogether. Sneaky bastards!

I miss texting greatly, so today I did away with my monthly iPhone insurance plan and opted instead for unlimited texting. Funny thing is, when I bought the 4s, they told me it was $10/month. When I went to cancel that insurance plan today, they said it was $3.99 or $4.99/month. AT&T definitely lacks in consistence.

PS: what do you mean by typing the I plan. :)

8. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Tapping on the little i next to the data area, look at your screen shot, will give you info on your current data plan & such.
    And like Europa mentioned, you might want to remove the photo in your post, as it lists your telephone #

9. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Thanks, Europa! And thank you for cropping it for me!

10. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Just got off the phone with AT&T. The guy asked me where I got the iphone--I said at an AT&T Corporate store. Then he replied "MAYBE" (that was his exact word) they automatically put you on the 2GB / month plan.

I proceeded to explain that I never asked for the 2GB / month plan when I got the phone!

I'm getting a $25.92 credit on my next bill. :D

I'm almost always on WiFi anyways!

Has this happened to any of you when you purchased an iPhone at an AT&T corporate location--i.e., automatically given a more expensive data plan without even being consulted? AT&T can sneaky; of course it's in their best interest to stick you with as many unnecessary options as you want.

11. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

These guys at the store are bunch of dumb arses. Once I asked how much it was for everything unlimited, just out of curiosity. Next bill was almost doubled. He put everything unlimited on my plan. Called AT&T and got it fix and my money back. Good to hear u got it all figured out Rafael.

12. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Gotcha... See what you mean. Right now I don't have that "I". When I tap on Data, it says "Due to the recent change to your data feature, we are unable to display usage information until after youe nxt billing cycle begins."

Thanks for the heads up!

13. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

LOL! Yup, notice I was on the 100-text/month plan for $2.99. But I'm tired of counting my text usage. So I got rid of my $10/month insurance for my iPhone and instead opted for the $20/month unlimited text. Plus, having that $10/month insurance plan doesn't guarantee you'll get a brand-new iPhone anyway!