Why do AT&T/Apple have that "Avail Upgrade contract" crap?

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
This maybe a rant, or misunderstanding but why the hell does AT&T/Apple have that whole you're eligible for upgrade thing...or 12months contract upgrade.

When a new phone comes out you cant get it until those 12months come or you're up for an upgrade? Thats utter BS because last time i checked its my money, so if i have a current phone and the next newest one came out i want to get it.

I thought the whole point for At&T/Apple was to make money...not stifle their own customers with stupid "your not available for upgrade" even tho the customer is willing to spend the money with them.

Maybe i just have this whole thing misunderstood, sum1 set me correct.

Grodzman

Dec 9, 2008
The point is that for impatient people like yourself they make you pay full price for the device.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Great first post moron, but im not impatient...i didn't say i was either nor did i imply that I wanted a new phone (ive had my 3g and im happy with it). I was generalizing. lol It was just a question as to why they have it.

Grodzman

Dec 9, 2008
It's just that you're so angry that they don't offer the phone you want for the cheap upgrade price. They do it because they make you pay it off over time through an overpriced mobile plan. No need to start calling me names; being frustrated over something like this makes you impatient, no offense.

Grodzman

Dec 9, 2008
To answer your question: they do allow you to upgrade as soon as the new device comes out, but they make you pay a premium for not sticking with a device for 12 months.

Dec 8, 2008
N
Whats so hard to understand about that?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
It's called subsidizing. The reason you can get a $400 iPhone for $200 (8GB 3g) is because AT&T makes up the difference (and more so) in your contract. If you don't keep the device for an amount of time that will make up the difference for them, they are not going to subsidize another phone for you... you will have to pay full price. This is how it is with any carrier that subsidizes through contract obligations.

People forget how expensive these things really are.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
It's called subsidizing. The reason you can get a $400 iPhone for $200 (8GB 3g) is because AT&T makes up the difference (and more so) in your contract. If you don't keep the device for an amount of time that will make up the difference for them, they are not going to subsidize another phone for you... you will have to pay full price. This is how it is with any carrier that subsidizes through contract obligations.

People forget how expensive these things really are.
Hey, So I have a question, I hope you can help me out here. This July when the new iPhone 3g or whatever it'll be called comes out and I want to get it, (because I will according to what I saw in the way of the new case) how will that be handled? In July I will have had my phone for 12 months, save for the two exchanges, the first because of the cracks in the body and the other because the 3G chip was fried and the phone malfunctioned. Will I be able to get the phone at a subsidized price or will i have to pay retail? I have had my phone for 12 months, or does it start all over again each time i had to exchange it (no fault of my own-they can't expect me to keep a faulty or malfunctioning phone). A rep told me the exchanges don't matter, still considered 12 month ownershio, but what do you say? Sometimes I get wrong info from those guys. One told me that there was no way to wipe out the iPhone via putting in the wrong pass code after 10 times, he said you can only do that with a Blackberry lo and behold, there is a way.

Please help.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Exchanges do not extend your contract obligations. Usually you must own a subsidized phone for 18 months before they will subsidize another for you, but the iPhone appears to be a special case. At least, it was when the 3G came out. Hopefully they'll keep this "grandfather clause" and allow previous iPhone owners to upgrade at the special pricing.

They'd be kind of stupid not to.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
Thanks Psylichon! This is good news! Hopefuly this time around will be like the last time for the 3G. I am definitely in line for this one. In fact, maybe I should get in line this weekend! LOL!

Thanks again!

Emerica

Bronze
Feb 5, 2009
Exchanges do not extend your contract obligations. Usually you must own a subsidized phone for 18 months before they will subsidize another for you, but the iPhone appears to be a special case. At least, it was when the 3G came out. Hopefully they'll keep this "grandfather clause" and allow previous iPhone owners to upgrade at the special pricing.

How long would you say you had to own the iPhone before you can upgrade to the newer one (when it does come out)?

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Great first post moron, but im not impatient...i didn't say i was either nor did i imply that I wanted a new phone (ive had my 3g and im happy with it). I was generalizing. lol It was just a question as to why they have it.
I know you're unhappy over the policy, but is the ad hominem attack on a new poster really necessary?

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska

Correct me if I'm wrong but the 3g wasn't really a special case. It was simply that anyone owning a V1 bought it at an unsubsidized price thereforee AT&T wasn't being hurt by subsidizing the 3g even though many people (like myself) had the V1 for only 6 months. One of the main reasons I didn't upgrade was I thought they might enforce the 18 months policy once a new version comes out since the 3g was subsidized.