Why do backups in iTunes take forever?

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I remember it used to take but a few minutes. Now I have to wait hours sometimes. I don't understand, isn't it just backing up basically just my settings and contacts? Why would this take so long?

EDIT: Sorry guys, I should have searched around first. Found an answer here, I'll return and report its success

Sep 1, 2007
West Central Florida
i was just about to link you to this on another forum. A friend sent it to me...

It did work for me for sure though!
good luck
Mark

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i still don't understand the need for backups... everything important (to me, at least) can just be resynced...

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
i noticed when i add a few new apps it does seem to take a lot longer to backup, also if i receive a phone call while syncing it seems to lenghten the time of a backup, but if little or no changes are made the backups are about 2 minutes.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
i still don't understand the need for backups... everything important (to me, at least) can just be resynced...
I think it has do with the actual phone becoming corrupted, something that can't be fixed with a resync. But otherwise, yes, a simple re-sync would fix mostly everything.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
no, i mean resyncing after a full restore.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Ok update here, the suggestions from that link didn't work. I turned off the "Send info to Apple thing" and nothing has changed. A restore takes me over 6 hours!

The backup takes 2 hours
Restoring the backup takes another 2 hours
Syncing all my music and videos back on takes another 2 hours

I hate this. My work day ends in 10 minutes but now I have to stay late at work waiting for this stupid restore.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
So have you deleted your old backup file?... sounds like it is corrupt.

sportsfan12321

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008
Also try "File -> Transfer iPhone purchases to computer".

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Ok update here, the suggestions from that link didn't work. I turned off the "Send info to Apple thing" and nothing has changed. A restore takes me over 6 hours!

The backup takes 2 hours
Restoring the backup takes another 2 hours
Syncing all my music and videos back on takes another 2 hours

I hate this. My work day ends in 10 minutes but now I have to stay late at work waiting for this stupid restore.
That is absolutely not right. I don't have the 3G but do have the 2.0.1 update with about 25 apps and can sync in about 2-3 minutes.
I wonder if the videos are the problem since they are so large.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
That is absolutely not right. I don't have the 3G but do have the 2.0.1 update with about 25 apps and can sync in about 2-3 minutes.
I wonder if the videos are the problem since they are so large.
I really doubt that's the culprit dturner. I, too, have movies, tv series and a few music videos. I timed my backup last night with the stopwatch on my v1 phone and it took 2 min. 13 sec.

Look at this thread:HERE

Last edited by a moderator:

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I really doubt that's the culprit dturner. I, too, have movies, tv series and a few music videos. I timed my backup last night with the stopwatch on my v1 phone and it took 2 min. 13 sec.

Look at this thread: here.
OK. Just a wild stab at the problem. The link didn't work, but I know which one you are talking about.
I don't know a solution, but I would be tempted to restore as a new phone it I couldn't get it resolved.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
I corrected the link... Anyway, it's a combination of having a corrupt backup file and choosing to allow diagnostic information to be sent to Apple when you first set up the 3g. IMO a restore really isn't necessary. You've got to get rid of the corrupt backup file and reset the warnings choosing not to send diagnostic info to Apple. And never click the X after that which is what is apparently causing a lot of the corrupt file problems.

Jul 22, 2007
So have you deleted your old backup file?... sounds like it is corrupt.
How do we delete an old backup file. I too am suffering from the endless backup. I already disabled the send data to Apple and I'm still having issues.