Why do I have 3 Calendars?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joolie, Apr 2, 2010.

1. joolie

joolie New Member

I have my iPhone connected to my work email using Exchange ActiveSync.

When I go into "Calendars', I see 3 different Calendars with different colored dots (blue, red, and orange). The red one is my work calendar, but I am not sure where the other 2 came from. I do have Facebook installed...does that add a separate calendar for that app? How do I know which is which, and how do I get rid of one (or the other 2)?
  2. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Zealot

Hey I have 8 calendars and usually I just choose all and it shows all. If I choose "home" it only shows events I created and put in the home category. It's really kinda nice feature as I can tap on medical and see all my upcoming doctor visits.
    When you open calendar, in the top left corner you can tap on the word calendar and change back and forth.
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. up10ad

up10ad Genius

Exchange will set up its own calendar, usually labeled XXXX (Exchange) There will also be one labeled On My iPhone which is whatever you sync with on your PC, perhaps Outlook, etc. You could also have any number of CalDAV calendars such as Google, etc, or even additional calendars On My iPhone if you have more than one calendar in you PC's Calendar app. Keeping them from displaying duplicate entries is tough if you view All Calendars. I use Google Calendar Sync to keep my PC calendar in sync with my online Google calendar, and then i display my Google calendar on my iPhone via the Google CalDAV link. Hope this helps.
  5. joolie

joolie New Member

Thank you for your reply....unfortunately I don't sync my iPhone with my computer at all - it wirelessly syncs with my work Outlook account (via the company's Exchange server). Also, all of the calendars are named 'Calendar', they just have different colored dots next to them.

I know the red one is my work calendar, but I don't know what the other 2 are or what they connect to, or which one is the 'default'. I also have an 'All Calendars' and usually click that to see everything.
  6. up10ad

up10ad Genius

Are all of the calendars listed with different colored dots under the same heading 'xxxx (Exchange)' where xxx is the name of your Exchange server? If so, do you also have multiple calendars in Exchange? I feel silly asking that since you wouldn't be confused if they were in your Exchange work PC too.
  7. joolie

joolie New Member

No, they all just say 'Calenda' - no Exchange name. I've attached a pic so you can see it.

I do not have multiple calendars in my Exchange account.

When I first activated my iPhone, before I set up the email (or knew any better), I let it sync the mail, calendar, contacts, etc, with my Outlook account. Then I set up the mail, and received a message on the device that it would no longer sync mail, calendar, and contacts with iTunes (I don't remember the exact wording though). Not sure if that helps or not.

I'm such a n00b.

Attached Files:

8. up10ad

up10ad Genius

If your ONLY calendar that you want to use is your Exchange calendar, how about going into Exchange and adding a new item, then see what calendar it land in, then delete the other tow. They are probably from your PC and the original sync.

Also, in Settings/Mail, COntacts, Calendars, how many accounts do you have?
  9. naviwilliams

naviwilliams Zealot

Joolie, a couple of things...

you can create a screenshot of your iPhone by holding the home button and pressing the button at the top of the iPhone. It saves the images in the photo section ;)

As for the calendar issue, do you have any PERSONAL email accounts setup on your iPhone? Lastly, in your calendar on Exchange, do you have sub-calendars?
  10. joolie

joolie New Member

Excellent. Thanks for the tip on the screenshot!

I do not have any personal email accounts set up on the device - only the Exchange folder. I think you may be onto something with the sub-calendar. I just noticed that there is a + sign next to my Calendar folder and there is a calendar under there...but the all day appts showing there (just birthdays) do not correspond with any other 'Calendar' on my device.

As for deleting the ones I don't want...how do I do that (the orange one is my normal Exchange calendar).

EDIT: I deleted the sub-calendar and the blue calendar has disappeared from the iPhone. Excellent....
  11. joolie

joolie New Member

YAY! I found the 3rd (orange) calendar. I clicked on my Calendar in Outlook and there was a 2nd one listed (along with my archive calendar). I deleted the 2nd calendar and POOF - now I only have 1 on my iPhone.

Very cool, thanks for all the help.
  12. naviwilliams

naviwilliams Zealot

Joolie, remember this, this feature, multiple calendar's is great to separate business items and personal items.

Thus you can still have a sub-calendar, with just work related items and another with just personal. At least from the iPhone via a quick glance you can tell by colours what pertains to what :)
  13. Bigtracks

Bigtracks New Member

Is there a way to set a different default calendar so when you enter an event, it goes in the main calendar. I am having to remember to change to my primary calendar each time I enter a new event.