Why do I need an iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Laylapotata, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Laylapotata

Laylapotata Member
    Bronze

Hey guys. Sell me on this thing. My laptop probably has only a year or two left and hubby is trying to sell me on the iPad instead. Outside if portability, what are the advantages? He says I don't need a laptop because all I do is surf the web but that's not all I do. I rip and burn CDs sometimes. I have an extensive video library and have all my personal files saved with writings, recipes, etc. How much of that can the iPad do? I honestly see the iPad as just a glorified iPhone. I think I'm still going to want a laptop and the iPad is just redundancy. Am I missing something?

2. iHolophyte

iHolophyte Contributor
    Bronze

None. It's basically an over sized iPhone. Tell hubby to put his hand in his back pocket and buy the iMac

iHolophyte

3. IllusionEntity

IllusionEntity Evangelist
    Gold

Do you own an iPad? I own a iPhone 4S, iPad 2 and MacBook Pro. I can safely say I use them 20/70/10.

4. Laylapotata

Laylapotata Member
    Bronze

I'm thinking my needs are probably met by what I have and will replace it with something similar when the time comes, and that's just a low end laptop.

5. iHolophyte

iHolophyte Contributor
    Bronze

I own the iPhone 4, iPad 2 and the iMac yes. Don't get me wrong I like the iPad but it's not as good as the world makes out. That's my opinion and as far as I'm aware I'm entitled to that.

iHolophyte

6. RolandSeh

RolandSeh New Member

For me, I use the iPad for sales presentation as well as reading. It's much lighter than lugging around a notebook for the same cause. I also use the iPad to look for recipes and note them down to try.

- Roland Seh

"Key to happiness is when nothing matters enough to bother you."

7. iHolophyte

iHolophyte Contributor
    Bronze

8. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

:eek: Um, what ah, what exactly is not so good about it? I haven't bought one yet, and am anticipating liking and using the iPad 3 or iPad HD when I get it. People I know who have an iPad, rave about it and love it. I see tons of people on the train and on the train platform using it on a daily basis and appear to enjoy it immensely.

So, my question to you is what about it is not so good as the world makes it out to be? I'd like to see both sides of the coin. So far, I've only seen heads, what lies behind tails? Please indulge me if you don't mind.

9. iHolophyte

iHolophyte Contributor
    Bronze

Ok let's get one thing straight here.....
    I like the iPad. I think it's a great bit of kit!

Right now that's cleared up.

The iPad is NOT a substitute for a PC or LAPTOP. it's a tablet. It only allows you to save photos, browse the web, watch tv or movies and tap into iTunes pretty much all what you can already do on any mobile/cell phone out there, So yes great for train stations.

My problem isn't with iPad it's with everyone else bigging it up with how marvellous it is, when broken down its an oversized iPhone! Does my head in when people go on and on and on and on about a tablet! Will it do this will it do that, will the memory be this will the memory be that! To browse the web, who cares, I certainly don't give a rats hoot if it only has 8MB of memory! Can't see you needing any more than this for standing at a "train station"

Now that's cleared up. I'll refrain from any more conversation in this matter.

iHolophyte

10. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Since you are refraining from any further conversation in this matter, I will be brief.

Thank you so much for your candor. I appreciate it. Honesty! I think you have saved me some $. I'm still going to get one, but I will get the WiFi one and I will probably only get a 32Gig. I was going all out on this one, but I am trying to be frugal and save some chips.

I figured I would store and watch movies and TV shows on it and play a few games on it. I won't even be using it at my Train Station. I will use it at home and possibly when I go visiting family. I see others doing this, I would not feel comfortable doing it. Someone can just smack it out of your hand and SPLAT! Right on the concrete! Then what do you do besides look like an idiot with an empty hand and a gaping mouth. - People in my hood are mean. LOL!

Thanks again! I really do appreciate it.

11. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

iHolophyte is correct to an extent. PC, Tablet, Phone are all completely different animals.

The iPad is as capable as you want it to be. There is an app for everything. I wouldn’t say it’s an oversized iPhone. There are apps created specifically for the iPad and not the iPhone. Some things are just not meant for that small screen.

I use my iPhone throughout the day and my MacBook when necessary. My iPads get plenty of night time use while my butt is planted on the couch. I also use it work for notes and music.

Some people see no use for tablet and that’s fine. I personally throw it in my bag every morning and bring it to work. Laptop stays home most of the time.

12. iHolophyte

iHolophyte Contributor
    Bronze

What animals would each one be?

iHolophyte

13. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

Thats a good topic for a thread. Hmmmm, I don't know.

PC could be a horse.
    iPad can be a dog.
    iPhone can be ......

14. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

The Mac is a mountain lion
    The iPad is the Chita
    The iPhone is the top dog.

15. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

What's a Chita? ;)

16. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

that's what we call it in Italy :D

17. Hinezy

Hinezy Contributor
    Silver

We call him Chester here in the US!

Sent from my 32Gb iPhone 4S using iCafe app

Attached Files:

18. psylichon

psylichon Genius

One thing that is often overlooked is the quality of apps for the iPad. The UI enhancements you can do on the bigger screen make it more than just an "oversized iPhone".

19. Laylapotata

Laylapotata Member
    Bronze

I didn't start this to dis the iPad. It's a nice toy for sure. I just don't seem to need it. Having only the cash to have to choose between the two, I have to go with the laptop I think.

20. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

you won't regret it, the iPad is nice to have, but honestly I would've never bought it since I have the iPhone and a MacBook. The ipad was a Xmas gift so I'll take it.