Why do I need an iPad?

Ltzguy

Zealot
Gold
Jun 22, 2010
Right here
So....if you have no computer and you have an iPhone and iPad and you need to restore, what do you do? What if you wanna jailbreak your phone, what do you do? You gotta have a computer. We have an iPad. I never use it. It's huge, heavy and cumbersome. You say it's not heavy? Try laying in bed and holding it up for a while when you read. yes, it'll get heavy. I have a kindle fire too, I hardly ever use it either. I guess a tablet just isn't my thing.

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
I have an iPad and I have used it just about every single day since I picked it up the end of Dec 2010. It is a wifi only model, when needed I have set up my iPhone as a hotspot for a few weeks and then dropped tethering from my data plan. I have a 4 1/2 year old laptop that was in need of a refresh so I opted for the iPad instead, never regretted it. I still use my laptop to rip movies once a month, but that is about the only time I use it. Not to offend anyone, but to say the iPad is heavy is quite funny to me since it weights less that a hardcover book. I don't hold my iPad over my head when I read a book or magazine so I don't see a need to try it out with my iPad to see how fast the blood can rush down my arms, but to each their own for their method of reading. As much as I love my iPad if I could only have the iPad or my iPhone I would keep my iPhone because of it's portability and 3G. My iPad only leaves the house when I go on vacation and businesss trips where I will have wifi in the hotel.

Smrick

May 16, 2009
Toronto
I am on my second iPad now (bought my gen 1 on the first weekend they were out) and the iPad has been completely integrated into my life. I carry it everywhere, including the office and use writing apps to record meetings and write notes, Pages and Numbers for quick doc and spreadsheet fixes, store budget documents, you name it. I work in marketing so I download presentations, campaign proofs and everything for quick reference wherever I am. In my personal life, I have it anywhere I am around the house for instant access to my music, the Internet, Netflix, et al. My reading life has gone totally digital using the iBook and Kobo apps and Zinio for all magazine subscriptions. If you adopt it as part of your life, it becomes an invaluable tool.

I also have a 27" iMac which I find is still used for photo editing and longer work or Internet sessions but to be honest, the convenience of the iPad has made me use my desktop less and less. Still needed but for different purposes. Will the iPad replace a laptop or desktop, no, but it all depends on the type of user you are and what you want to do with it. Right now, I'm writing this while sitting in the service department of my car dealer. I don't think I'd be doing that if I only had a laptop.

Kgd0630

Contributor
Bronze
Aug 8, 2010
Anderson, SC
I use my iPad mainly for quick web browsing & games. The laptop is still for CDs, bill paying, photo editing, and that sorta stuff. They are fun, but doesn't sound like what you need.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Zipur

Bronze
Aug 26, 2011
Texas
I use my iPad for the following:
1. I do support calls which require me to carry a lot of documents. My ipad is loaded with PDFs now.
2. I am always in schools for whatever new product comes out. Notes, recordings and more PDFs
3. I sing in the choir at my church. Songs, Music, PDFs and a bunch of recordings.
4. My Bible, I'm involved with BSF Bible Study Institute (highly recommended) so I have a few different Bible versions,dictionary, concordance and commentaries.
4. Google maps on a big screen
5. Web browsing and basic knowledge tools because I have a few friends who are nuts about trivia, history and facts about any crazy thing. So it's a go to to prove them wrong. I mean crazy questions like "how many lost in space episodes were made". Or what year did the USA get off the gold standard. Plus you never know when someone will need to see the YouTube video of how to line dance.

Funny thing is I never play game on my iPad unless the grand kids are at the house. As others have mentioned it has become a appendage to me I Never have it more than ten feet away from me never!

Mar 21, 2009
I am on my second iPad now (bought my gen 1 on the first weekend they were out) and the iPad has been completely integrated into my life. I carry it everywhere, including the office and use writing apps to record meetings and write notes, Pages and Numbers for quick doc and spreadsheet fixes, store budget documents, you name it. I work in marketing so I download presentations, campaign proofs and everything for quick reference wherever I am. In my personal life, I have it anywhere I am around the house for instant access to my music, the Internet, Netflix, et al. My reading life has gone totally digital using the iBook and Kobo apps and Zinio for all magazine subscriptions. If you adopt it as part of your life, it becomes an invaluable tool.

I also have a 27" iMac which I find is still used for photo editing and longer work or Internet sessions but to be honest, the convenience of the iPad has made me use my desktop less and less. Still needed but for different purposes. Will the iPad replace a laptop or desktop, no, but it all depends on the type of user you are and what you want to do with it. Right now, I'm writing this while sitting in the service department of my car dealer. I don't think I'd be doing that if I only had a laptop.

Nicely stated.

tybirdtybird

Contributor
Bronze
May 6, 2010
Westfield, In
If you do get iPad get camera connection kit. It has a nice long power cord. If you have USB keyboard you use it on your iPad. I love my iPad I rarely use my laptop anymore.

Josh Yates

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2007
Orion, MI
Yeah...I gotta say...I'm not sure that anyone NEEDS an iPad. It's all about what you're gonna use it for. I have 21" iMac at home, a 15" MBP at work and an iPhone 4s. They all fit my needs well. I then add my iPad to the mix and it's just extremely convenient. I teach and lead worship...and the iPad fits in VERY nicely there. I very rarely use paper anymore. I also use my iPad to take notes and present some things within counseling. So...it works well for me. Mine was a grad present in 2010, but I'll be upgrading to the iPad 3. I have two little daughters that use it from time to time for games and video. If you are a professional photographer, that could be a great addition as well for proofs with your clients.

I will say, though, it does fit in between my iMac/MBP and my iPhone...It's extremely clunky do to A LOT of work on. To do a quick edit or jot notes or use specific apps that help you or for fun...that's where it fits...

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I use my iPad in lieu of much of the things I would typically do with my laptop. My iPad fails however when I need to perform things I can only do on my laptop. Examples include typing long documents, cutting and pasting between multiple documents located in various directories, software which provides desktop view as opposed to mobile. WRT the last, Google Drive comes to mind. I can make modest change to GD spreadsheets; wholesale mods, however, I need the flexibility of a laptop or desktop.

I travel extensively, and lugging a heavy laptop is not always desired. I am toying with the idea of a MacBook Air to bridge the gap.

Sent using iCafe app

dkhmwilliams

Bronze
May 10, 2013
I use my iPad as a laptop replacement sometimes. Other times, it is a multimedia device for home. I never take it with me unless I need it for work that day. If I take it to work, I put it in a Bluetooth keyboard case. That makes taking notes, emails, and creating documents easier. When I'm at home, I put the iPhone down and pick the iPad up.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

RolandSeh

Feb 22, 2012
Only issue is that when I needed to make changes to my Microsoft documents, the images are always a big concern as it is usually missing after the conversion.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I had a personal iPad and sold it (never used it), work gave me one with 3G and I have it back. iPhone 5 and MBA is good enough for me.

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
The iPad is great for tons of things because it is a bigger iPhone. More screen real estate means it can do so much more. I use it in my work with children (I work at an elementary school), use it to display sheet music, surf the web, print things wirelessly, to read books, and play games with my own children. Yes, all of this can be done on an iPhone, but not as well on the smaller screen.

For me, it's wonderful, but it's not a replacement for a laptop yet. Maybe someday. It's not for everyone, buy accordingly.

dkhmwilliams

Bronze
May 10, 2013
The iPad is great for tons of things because it is a bigger iPhone. More screen real estate means it can do so much more. I use it in my work with children (I work at an elementary school), use it to display sheet music, surf the web, print things wirelessly, to read books, and play games with my own children. Yes, all of this can be done on an iPhone, but not as well on the smaller screen.

For me, it's wonderful, but it's not a replacement for a laptop yet. Maybe someday. It's not for everyone, buy accordingly.
I'm finding that I really did have a great need for a laptop computer to begin with. I haven't had a laptop for two years and I have gotten along just fine. I do have a Bluetooth keyboard that I use if I need to do some serious typing. But other than that I haven't needed a laptop at all. I do know that this isn't the case for everyone. But for me the iPad is good enough.

Sent from the baddest smartphone on the planet, my white 64GB iPhone 5.

tybirdtybird

Contributor
Bronze
May 6, 2010
Westfield, In
I love my iPad 2. You can get the camera connect kit. It has USB plug I plug my keyboard in when I need to type a lot works great. Also it has sd card thing to. It's great when you take a lot of pictures.

Sent using iCafe app