Why do people become obsessed with Apple?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Sep 7, 2012
The article is garbage and unprofessional.. If you do not like Apple then that is cool but you could write the article in a professional tone..

My .02
The website isn't aimed at grown professionals so the articles aren't written in a way like The Times or The Guardian, as you seem to think they should be. They're opinion pieces on the website. It's the house style of the company. Obviously a style you can't appreciate.

I do like a few Apple products, they do fantastic designs, and I'm not saying everyone is a 'fan-boy', I was simply looking at why SOME people do become so devoted to the company and what it is that has made the company as connected with its customers as it is.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Any article titled: Apple: Overpriced Crap isn't worth the read.
You would think a 2nd year Journalism student would know how to actually compose / write something.....

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
OP: Thank you for reminding me to turn the filter that prevents links from users with under 10 posts.

"Some people own Macs for legitimate reasons. Like photographers and artists who want to use its design features, or musicians"

Haven't heard that since the 90's.

hmfc-1874

Contributor
Silver
Sep 10, 2011
I wrote an article on the religious like following of Apple and it's cult like members. http://bit.ly/NYt7va Just a short article saying my views. Why do YOU all think people become so devoted to the Apple brand?

Oh Dear....

First of all the title!

Then the first paragraph:

Here we go again, it’s that time of year where all you Apple fan-boys and fan-girls need to start packing your sleeping bags and thermos flasks, because pretty soon you’ll be joining the local homeless community in the streets, as you sleep on the pavement in a sweaty queue of like-minded geeks in anticipation for the iPhone 5.

I gave up after this. I'm not a fan boy , like the iPhone but prefer windows in all honestly but who is really going to read this with the title and the first paragraph.

Are you being serious about this being in your second year ?
If I never knew it was your second year I would say its your second day !
I would grab the jacket my friend and find another day job/hobby.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I haven’t bought any of their products due to a deep-rooted yet irrational hatred
Of course. Because you're so against the sheep mentality, and all.

Bashing Apple. Seems it's the cool thing to do.

You like playing with fire, I take it?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Why do people become obsessed with Apple fans? Can't we just use our products in peace without being over-analyzed? They're good products from a good company. It's not rocket science here.

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
A better question would have been why are people loyal to ANY brand.. Like Apple, many companies have loyal and devoted followers..

Apple
Samsung
Android
Windows
Ford
Chevy

I can go on but you get the hint. Some people enjoy the product that a certain company puts out and they trust it.. There are many who may want to switch to "the dark side" of competitors but they don't because they are heavily entrenched into that companies eco system. This mainly holds true for electronics (consumption devices ect)

Apple fans are no different than say Android fans.. Ever been to XDA? Not only are they loyal to the Android OS but they are loyal to the device manufacturer as well.. This is NOT a slam on Android because I have owned many Android devices..

I always land back with Apple because I love the build quality and the polished OS.. You may call me an iSheep if you want just because I like Apple and that's fine because it does not bother me..

When I spend my hard earned $$ I want a quality built device that is polished and supported not plastic and cheap that is lucky if it gets updated OS / software..

I typed much more than I should have in response to an obvious troll post but there you go.. My brief response to your Q..

Have a nice day and try to not hate so much.. It's bad for the soul and will cause ulcers.. Use and buy what meets YOUR needs then buy it again if it continues to meet your need in the future..

Sep 7, 2012
Of course. Because you're so against the sheep mentality, and all.

Bashing Apple. Seems it's the cool thing to do.

You like playing with fire, I take it?
I'm not just being a sheep. It is completely my opinion. I said I like some of their products and I even say in the article that they're at the forefront of design and innovation, and that they revolutionised the way we listen to music.

I just don't agree with their businesss morals and how overly-attached people get to the company. Such as those people who have seem to have got their knickers in a twist in this forum, and the people who sleep on the streets overnight to get a product that will still be there the next day. It's crazy. No other company has managed to gain such a cult following. I just find it very interesting.

And I think some aspects of the case with Samsung, was Apple being extremely pedantic in a bid to get money they don't really need.

But as I said, iPods - amazing invention, and some of their products are lovely looking.

But thankyou for replying with something I could actually reply to and that is actually a discussion of sorts, rather than just firing abuse, like some seem to have done, just proving my point of people being overly-attached to Apple.

Sep 7, 2012
Why do people become obsessed with Apple fans? Can't we just use our products in peace without being over-analyzed? They're good products from a good company. It's not rocket science here.
I admit, a lot of their products are great. The iPod is amazing. I really like them. My interest is just in the cult following they've got. I also think the pricing of a lot of their laptops is... questionable. But it's interesting that so many people are willing to go to such lengths to be the first to get their hands on their products. The only other company I can really think of that have a similar following is Hello Kitty in Japan.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I think people say similar things about people who buy Sony.

There is some level of brand loyalty when making an Apple or Sony purchase. This starts with, but at times goes past product quality. It's service, purchase experience, stores -- all of it. It creates a comfort level when buying an Apple product.

Now I personally had a horrific customer service experience with Apple, which directly affected my wife's current phone situation. Is she jumping ship to Android or Windows Phone. Not even a consideration. For her, the product is far superior and she would never consider another phone.

Apple does lots of things right. As a result, people buy lots of their products. I don't necessarily agree there is any premium cost associated with their products. Maybe years ago. iMac, iPhone, iPad? Where are you getting similar quality products at those prices.

Last edited:

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
just proving my point of people being overly-attached to Apple.
YAWN..

You have proven nothing... Now go to XDA and post Android sucks.. Then go into Samsung Galaxy S3 forum and post it sucks.. Then on your way out the door go to HTC One X forum and post that it sucks..

You think the responses that you received here are bad? LOL

Sep 7, 2012
A better question would have been why are people loyal to ANY brand.. Like Apple, many companies have loyal and devoted followers..

Apple
Samsung
Android
Windows
Ford
Chevy

I can go on but you get the hint. Some people enjoy the product that a certain company puts out and they trust it.. There are many who may want to switch to "the dark side" of competitors but they don't because they are heavily entrenched into that companies eco system. This mainly holds true for electronics (consumption devices ect)

Apple fans are no different than say Android fans.. Ever been to XDA? Not only are they loyal to the Android OS but they are loyal to the device manufacturer as well.. This is NOT a slam on Android because I have owned many Android devices..

I always land back with Apple because I love the build quality and the polished OS.. You may call me an iSheep if you want just because I like Apple and that's fine because it does not bother me..

When I spend my hard earned $$ I want a quality built device that is polished and supported not plastic and cheap that is lucky if it gets updated OS / software..

I typed much more than I should have in response to an obvious troll post but there you go.. My brief response to your Q..

Have a nice day and try to not hate so much.. It's bad for the soul and will cause ulcers.. Use and buy what meets YOUR needs then buy it again if it continues to meet your need in the future..

Well thankyou for taking the time to reply. I found what you said really interesting.

Firstly, I'm not a troll, I just wrote an article expressing my opinions, and I'm not hating. I just wrote about a topic I've always seen as quite interesting and feel pretty strongly about. As I've said in other replies, the cult following is incredibly unique.

I think a lot of the other brands, as you said, have followings, but Apple's following is particularly intense. The Apple fan-boy is something that's often talked about because no other company has them. There's also been a lot of TV documentaries about the fad with Apple, simply because so many people do find it amazing. Their conventions are like religious gatherings.

I think phones are as unique to people as their music taste. Everyone will always argue for their phone and against others.

In my article, I say I can understand where the following has stemmed from and why people love it so much. Personally though, I just can't imagine paying such prices for a product, when ones with similar / better specs are out there for cheaper prices.

Obviously, if you have an iPhone or a Mac I'm not going to judge people negatively, I'd just judge negatively if you were someone who waits outside an Apple shop for days for a product that isn't exactly limited edition.

hmfc-1874

Contributor
Silver
Sep 10, 2011
In a nutshell, it's what a consumer
Likes and what is generally used too.
Unless its a big change like when it was the iPhone came out at first. People don't tend to change to out their comfort zone.

What Chris was saying a bit back is what I 100% agree with.

Sep 7, 2012
I think people say similar things about people who buy Sony.

There is some level of brand loyalty when making an Apple or Sony purchase. This starts with, but at times goes past product quality. It's service, purchase experience, stores -- all of it. It creates a comfort level when buying an Apple product.

Now I personally had a , which directly affected my wife's current phone situation. Is she jumping ship to Android or Windows Phone. Not even a consideration. For her, the product is far superior and she would never consider another phone.

Apple does lots of things right. As a result, people buy lots of their products. I don't necessarily agree there is any premium cost associated with their products. Maybe years ago. iMac, iPhone, iPad? Where are you getting similar quality products at those prices.
I really agree with what you've said there. It's the whole package in the customer experience. Sorry to hear about your wife having such a crap time with the customer service too!

But what you've said, in some ways, back up what I've said. Apple have a really interesting way of getting their consumers to become, in some ways, hooked to the products. I've owned an Android before which I LOVED, and I've always had great service with their companies etc... but I switched, despite all the great service just because I wanted to try something new.

Whereas, as you said, an Apple customer, no matter what happens, bad service or good service, will stick with them.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I think as tech becomes more prevalent and ubiquitous in society, there is a growing market for "turnkey" solutions: tech that just works as advertised right out of the box with minimal setup or configuration. Building an entire turnkey tech ecosystem like Apple has done is huge and goes a long way towards keeping loyal customers.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Whereas, as you said, an Apple customer, no matter what happens, bad service or good service, will stick with them.
I buy great products. That's my benchmark.

I own and operate iPhone/Android/Windows Phone sites. I buy and use all of them. My wife can use any phone she'd like, but chooses an iPhone. She wouldn't last a day with a Windows Phone or Android device - I've offered in the past. For her too, it's about the product.

I think your article would be better served and received if it weren't inflammatory in nature.

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
In my article, I say I can understand where the following has stemmed from and why people love it so much. Personally though, I just can't imagine paying such prices for a product, when ones with similar / better specs are out there for cheaper prices.

Obviously, if you have an iPhone or a Mac I'm not going to judge people negatively, I'd just judge negatively if you were someone who waits outside an Apple shop for days for a product that isn't exactly limited edition.
I will briefly answer this statement..

I recently purchased a Nexus 7 and yes it cost less ($199 for the 8GB version) and yes it has higher specs than my iPad..

Why is the iPad better even though it cost more than twice as much? Build quality! For me this is a no brainier.. I returned two Nexus 7 devices within 2 weeks time.. The 1st one had horrible vertical lines on the screen and very bad screen flicker. The replacement they sent had serious screen separation on the left side of the device.. I finally tossed in the towel and got a refund..

I have not had a single issue with the iPad 3 that I purchased on launch day and it feels 10x more solid and has 10x better built quality than the Nexus 7

Next up the Samsung Galaxy S3 I recently owned.. Cheaper than an iPhone? No! Better specs? Yes! So why am I back on the iPhone you ask? Easy.. Build quality and a more polished OS..

The S3 felt very cheap and plasticky to me.. The OS overlay (Touchwiz) all though better than previous versions still has lag and looks cartoony to me.. Also, it may get one major OS update, then Samsung will forget about it..

Lastly is the device branding that is all over the phone (makes it look kind of ugly) and the loads upon loads of crapware installed that you will never see on an iPhone..

My .02