Why do people use MyWi instead of Tether Me?

Discussion in 'Cydia Apps' started by {StatuSChecKa}, Feb 7, 2013.

1. {StatuSChecKa}

{StatuSChecKa} Contributor
    Silver

MyWi is crazy expensive, its was a pain in the A last time I used it (last year).
    TetherMe is cheaper and simply activates a stock iPhone function that works great.
    Is there something I should know?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

MyWi is a full tethering app that was written from the ground up and it had some features and customizations that native (stock) tethering does not have. TetherMe just tricks iOS into thinking you have a tethering plan through your carrier. It's a simple program and it only requires a few lines of code to enable native tethering, so it's a lot cheaper than MyWi.

3. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

Do they both hide the fact you're tethering from your carrier?

4. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

AFAIK neither do. IIRC the only tethering app that advertised that functionality was PdaNet. I purchased and tested it briefly at home back on iOS5 but only used it once "in the field." It has not been updated to iOS6 yet however.

Edit: I recall that PdaNet also required a client app for your laptop, it didn't have the handy hotspot option like MyWi.

5. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I used to be a MyWi user but now that I have a family plan with tethering included I have no need for it.

6. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Unfortunately MyWi and TetherMe don't hide the fact that you tether when using the apps, which is massively annoying considering I've got unlimited data :(

I get a tetherblock message the second I start trying to tether!

7. chavezr6

chavezr6 Member
    Bronze

I only got this message once and that was when I used the USB tether. When I use the hotspot option I've been using it for years with no problems. That includes a month of using it to tether to my XBox and hitting 22 GB for one month of usage. I thought for sure I'd get nailed for that one. (y)

8. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

I got notices from AT&T shortly after using MyWi. No sense using it if carrier immediately tell me they are going to add tethering to my plan if I don't stop.

9. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

I use PDANet and never had a problem. I think they hide the tethering from your carrier.

10. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

Are you using it on iOS 6.1?

11. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

It seems PdaNet was updated for iOS6 the day of my last post on the subject. I've not tried it yet though.

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1361297335.762718.jpg

12. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

What is the difference between the Free and Paid version of PdaNet?

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You'll have interrupted usage with the free edition. You'll have to stop what you're doing and go in and turn it back on.

14. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

From the developer website:

What is the difference between the free and full edition? How to get the full edition?

The free edition will start blocking secure web sites (web sites that require login) after the 14-days-trial expiration. You can purchase the full edition here.

After the purchase you will receive a serial code in the email. Please use it to unlock the full edition. You can do so either by tapping Settings->Register on the phone side or by going to http://my.iPhone on the computer when PdaNet is connected.

Full edition and free edition have the same installer so there is no need to reinstall if you already have the free edition.