Why Do They Call Them Geniuses - Dateline Show

Nrevezzo

Bronze
Apr 15, 2009
Canton, Mi
Last night's Dateline show about a California murder shows the murderer in an Apple store and the "genius" unlocks the iPhone of the murder victim. The murderer them proceeds to use the iPhone to respond to text messages sent by the murder victim's loved ones/friends saying she is alright. This only stops after a text from a police detective requesting that the person call him.

I would like to think that Apple and its employees would be more sensitive to the possibility that the person presenting the device is not actually the owner and ask for identification and check ownership instead of just doing what is requested.

Geniuses; I think not.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
The term "Genius" is used as a name for the position rather than as a term to describe the employee. It may as well be "costumer service representative". Apple likes to rename things to make them appear unique and original (example: "face time") so don't read too much into this. The employee could have been hustled or scammed into helping.

Sent using iCafe app

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
This is a sad story. I hope the police did catch this murder. Since he was in the Apple store, hopefully they have footage of him and he can be identified.

It's sad when people get killed for anything let alone an Apple product.

My prayers are with the family.