Why do topics get closed at eiC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
so the last couple weeks i have noticed that there have been some threads closed (as usual on any internet forum). sometimes there is a message posted by the mod as to why it has been closed, and sometimes there is not. obviously, if something is against the rules, in most cases it seems like the voilating members are informed about it (i have been on the receiving end of several of those notifications). i also have noticed that some posts that, to me, are not in voilation of any rules, are deleted without reason. i was pondering this situation the other night so i pm'd some people to try to dig a little deeper and found out that posts are deleted at random sometimes with no reason offered as to why.

so i pm'd a mod, got a response but not an answer to the question at hand, and i still can't help but wonder. i have read the rules several times, and i really don't see any issue with a friendly debate. if it gets way too off topic and is closed, that is up to the mods obviously, but i think informing us of what WE did that ultimately resulted in the thread being closed would be useful information so WE can try to stop that type of activity from happening again. also, and i may be getting ahead of myself here, but is there any policy on notification of deleting posts so i don't log on and wonder where the heck my last post went?

i am not going to name any names, or talk about any specific posts unless people want to voice their own opinions. this is not meant to undermine anything that goes on on the board, but more to produce some constructive conversation that can help us all better understand how and why things happen the way they do on this board.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Sometimes topics are closed because they were getting too heated. They may seem like a "friendly debate", but that may be because some of the last posts in the threads were deleted the person that closed the topic. It really isn't your place to point out when to close threads and when not to. From the Forum Policy:

Moderators and Administrators have the final say when it comes to closing threads, member bans and administering the rules of this forum.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
i'm not trying to point out anything or cause trouble, i'm just wondering and trying to make this a better place. if a thread gets closed or post gets deleted without any reason, how are people supposed to learn from that mistake to not make them again? thats just common in every aspect of life.

i also don't see why you have to try to talk down to me, i said this was to offer constructive conversation. we all know you are a mod, so do you really need to flex your muscle at every chance?

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
i'm not trying to point out anything or cause trouble, i'm just wondering and trying to make this a better place. if a thread gets closed or post gets deleted without any reason, how are people supposed to learn from that mistake to not make them again? thats just common in every aspect of life.

i also don't see why you have to try to talk down to me, i said this was to offer constructive conversation. we all know you are a mod, so do you really need to flex your muscle at every chance?
If there's no nothing in a thread to indicate why it's been closed, a PM is usually sent to the user to indicate why it happened. Sometimes, it's such an obvious voilation that we don't bother.

Lincoln wasn't "flexing his muscles" - he was only telling the truth. We are all well aware of and very conscious of your last (and still valid) warning from Chris.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
wow so following the proper procedure posted "pming a mod before posting a thread" is against the rules? i don't see why the threats need to be thrown out here like this at me?

i think we can all agree that this place would not be as great as it is if it weren't for its members, so if some members are wondering these things, why is it so bad to simply ask questions in the most respectful manner possible?

i do appreciate your answers though, so if there is nothing in a thread to indicate why its been closed, a pm is usually sent to the user, which user is that? the OP or all the users in that thread who are still wondering what happened? i know this is a topic that several members are wondering as well, but i highly doubt they will voice their opinion on this based on the last two types of responses or threats i have received.

like i stated before, this isn't to try to undermine anything, but more get some questions answered. if i need to do another step aside from pming a mod and then making a thread let me know, i'm all about following the rules and doing things right, but that is how i understood the process was to be handled.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
wow so following the proper procedure posted "pming a mod before posting a thread" is against the rules? i don't see why the threats need to be thrown out here like this at me?

i think we can all agree that this place would not be as great as it is if it weren't for its members, so if some members are wondering these things, why is it so bad to simply ask questions in the most respectful manner possible?

i do appreciate your answers though, so if there is nothing in a thread to indicate why its been closed, a pm is usually sent to the user, which user is that? the OP or all the users in that thread who are still wondering what happened? i know this is a topic that several members are wondering as well, but i highly doubt they will voice their opinion on this based on the last two types of responses or threats i have received.

like i stated before, this isn't to try to undermine anything, but more get some questions answered. if i need to do another step aside from pming a mod and then making a thread let me know, i'm all about following the rules and doing things right, but that is how i understood the process was to be handled.
Who said PM'ing a mod is bad? What threats have we made against you? Who said it was bad to ask questions? Please point out where this was done because I don't see anything along these lines here at all from me or Lincoln.

The user who voilated forum policy is sent a PM - we do not have the time to PM every single user who posted in a thread when they themselves did not voilate the forum policies, nor is that even necessary in my eyes. If any user has any questions about what happened in a thread, they can PM a Mod or Chris.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines

I know where you're going with all this.. First though, you gotta give Lincoln a break. He's 14 or 15yrs old so, of course, he will flex a little. And for the record, he's a pretty good mod...for being such a young one...

I for one have threads and posts deleted on a regular basis. I've even been banned several times for my posts. If you think that posts are deleted because the administration might not agree with your ideas or opinions, then you are right. If you think this place is censored, then you are right. If If you think this place is biased, then you are right.
And why shouldn't they be? This is a private website and owned by an individual. If that person wants to delete every single post, why shouldn't he? The majority of membership here is more than likely closer to puberty than not. It's NO BIG loss, that's all. And just for the record, I can't remember there ever being a post deleted that had to actually do with the iPhone. This is an iPhone site, after all. Not a court room.

The entire media is so obviously slanted and biased that it's ridiculous, anyway. Why should I expect any different around here? I come here for entertainment now that my learning-about-the-iphone days are over. It's properly better that I am monitored around here considering the mean age of membership, anyway. I can get carried away.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
i guess i just don't see why this statement was necessary

We are all well aware of and very conscious of your last (and still valid) warning from Chris.

how does any warning that i have received have ANYTHING to do with this thread? to me that seems like an inadvertent threat to "shut up or else."

as well as when lincoln said

It really isn't your place to point out when to close threads and when not to. From the Forum Policy:

Moderators and Administrators have the final say when it comes to closing threads, member bans and administering the rules of this forum.

that is pretty much saying this isn't your time or place to bring these questions up in this manner.

i don't know, i'm not a rocket scientist but this stuff is pretty easy to interpret.

so back on track with the questions, and again i do appreciate the answers. if there isn't time to send a pm to every user in the thread (obviously) is it too much to ask the mod who is closing the thread to make a closing post saying "thread was too heated so it is closed" or "multiple rule voilations, so it is closed" that way everyone who participated in the thread knows what the deal was. if the posts in voilation are deleted, wouldn't the thread be back on track then?

also, pertaining to deleted posts, is there any guidelines as to users getting pm'd or is it just sort of a hit and miss thing? obviously if someone posts naked pictures of someone or something that is a clear rule voilation, but if it is a post that is questionable, but is deemed to be deleted by the mods, is a pm necessary?

pertaining to your last statement

If any user has any questions about what happened in a thread, they can PM a Mod or Chris.

that is exactly what i did, i pm'd a mod, and have yet to receive any answers, so hence why i started this thread to try to produce some constructive questions and hopefully answer them for others. again if there is something else i need to do let me know.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
There has rarely been a time before this that I have ever agreed with Pepe. Some of the recent threads have been locked down for trivial reasons. A forum is supposed to be a place for open discussion, yet discussions get closed down sometimes because one person happens to lose their composure. Maybe we need a "no holds barred" section here at EIC where the mods can shift threads that become heated debates, instead of just shutting them down. I understand when threads get locked down or deleted because of trolling and spam, but to get closed down because things are getting heated is kind of close-minded.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Another "section'?! jesus, things are fine now. Sure, they can do whatever they want. So what. It's like a bunch of little Napoleons running around.. so what? This is a great place and there are just too many left wing crybabies around here to allow some sort of "free for all" posting...

Isn't this an iPhone site?

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
Another "section'?! jesus, things are fine now. Sure, they can do whatever they want. So what. It's like a bunch of little nopoleons running around.. so what? This is a great place and there are just too many left wing crybabies around here to allow some sort of "free for all" posting...

Isn't this an iPhone site?
You're right. If there was a new section to push all of the banned threads to, they would have to name it after you.:p

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I feel that some of the deleted threads have been wiped as part of a 'preemptive strike' so-to-speak. Someone feels that the thread is going to eventually blow up, so they delete it. That can be good sometimes, but you can't always know where the thread and it's posts are going. Sometimes they cool down, flare up, then cool down again. It's all entertainment to me, so it's a little disappointing to me to see a thread locked.

H

Hayesimus

Sorry, but if you follow the rules then you shouldn't even be bothered by the random thread deletions. Notice I'm not implying you don't follow the rules. My point is that in situations like this I often find the ones that complain are the ones that are usually going to be the problem. Some of my very own threads have been locked. *thanks OJ :p It happens. Trust me, I'd rather have a swift and heavy handed management that none at all. There is a forum that people in my town get on and practically every thread is trash talking one person or another. There is zero moderation. Occasionally you can get a thread deleted but its only after several emails and after everyone and their brother has already seen it. So the damage is done. At the EIC the moderators are constantly trying to keep the peace and keep everything on track. I've had nothing but respect for all the moderators here. Chris has been a stupendous administrator in the way he is so involved in making this site function and always making improvements. Kabeyun and Macgirl have always been a delight to interact with. Lincoln has proven there is still hope for the future generations with his level of maturity. Psylichon... well... it's Dave! He's our favorite know-it-all. :p

We really do have a stellar group of people running this site. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Typically a thread like this would seem to indicate you are trying to call fault to someone. From my perspective, no fault has been made. So I say to the mods, keep up the good work.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Very well said Hayes. I think the mods here are superb.

I haven't seen that many locked threads, but the ones I have seemed justified - either because people were wanting to talk about cracks and stealing paid-for apps, or because things were getting out of hand in terms of agressive comments and people starting to say stuff they'll regret later kinda thing ...

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
Sorry, but if you follow the rules then you shouldn't even be bothered by the random thread deletions. Notice I'm not implying you don't follow the rules. My point is that in situations like this I often find the ones that complain are the ones that are usually going to be the problem. Some of my very own threads have been locked. *thanks OJ :p It happens. Trust me, I'd rather have a swift and heavy handed management that none at all. There is a forum that people in my town get on and practically every thread is trash talking one person or another. There is zero moderation. Occasionally you can get a thread deleted but its only after several emails and after everyone and their brother has already seen it. So the damage is done. At the EIC the moderators are constantly trying to keep the peace and keep everything on track. I've had nothing but respect for all the moderators here. Chris has been a stupendous administrator in the way he is so involved in making this site function and always making improvements. Kabeyun and Macgirl have always been a delight to interact with. Lincoln has proven there is still hope for the future generations with his level of maturity. Psylichon... well... it's Dave! He's our favorite know-it-all. :p

We really do have a stellar group of people running this site. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Typically a thread like this would seem to indicate you are trying to call fault to someone. From my perspective, no fault has been made. So I say to the mods, keep up the good work.
You win.

J/k, of course. ;)

H

Hayesimus

You should see me at work. I have a raise coming this week. :D

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
i'm yet to see evidence of this.

in fact, with more than two years in the bag, i think we've been managing just fine without your "efforts".
I also very RARELY agree w/Pepe - but wth did lady bugs' thread get closed? I didn't see anything at all that was offensive or deemed necessary to be locked, IMO. This thread will probably be locked soon, lol. But seeing what OJ had posted, and continues to post, Pepe is going nowhere. So get used to him.

The only difference is one kisses ass to Chris and one doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.