Why do we leave iOS?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by dkhmwilliams, Sep 4, 2013.

1. dkhmwilliams

dkhmwilliams Member
    Bronze

I have often gone back and forth between iPhones and all of the other phones. Since the 3G, I have bought each iPhone at least twice, some as many as four times because I stray and then come back. I never really have any issue with any iPhone that would make a person want to abandon it for another device, but I always do. I have noticed on the forums that many others do the same. Any insights as to why we do this? Why do we leave the iPhone knowing that we will be back...soon?

Sent using iCafe app

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

People get bored. I think it applies to both hardware and software.

On the software side, there are some that love to customize beyond the current options available in iOS. Maybe they don't want to modify their iPhones in order to do so or have grown tired of the continuous cat & mouse game that leaves them an update behind. Different is well, different. Those looking for a change of pace find just that with Android. Everything they think they might want is there, including widgets, ability to install apps from any source and so on. There's a sense of truly owning a device and the software on it.

With Apple's yearly cycle, it's easy to get caught up in the shiny. Every few weeks there is new hardware on the other side of the fence, while we sit through a perpetual rumor mill for a year at a time. Tech blogs will write about how the new (INSERT NAME OF LATEST ANDROID PHONE) is a worthy competitor to the iPhone and the "best Android phone" we've used. I also think there is some truth to it. This year, we did see the best Android hardware to date. The HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S4 and Moto X are all very, very good.

Combine those two and you have a ****tail for switchers. It's made worse by Apple's resistance to go with a bigger display. I think the 'S' years are starting to wear on customers. They want big changes and faster innovation.

I think those are the reasons they leave. I'll check back later with why they come back.

I wrote an article earlier this summer on why people switch.

#2 chris, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I just had to switch to my iPhone5 this morning real quick because my stupid Android phone wouldn't show a web page properly. For all the Android's pretty bells and whistles, it sure can suck in the usefulness department. The half-featured, slow-loading apps kill me. I'll be so glad when my eye heals a bit more and I can go back to using my 5 on a more consistent basis.

4. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

It’s called “the grass is always greener” syndrome. We think someone else is having a better time elsewhere. We make ourselves miserable by constantly thinking about the unknown in an endless quest to find happiness.

http://tinybuddha.com/blog/why-the-grass-is-never-greener-and-how-to-be-happy-today/

5. dkhmwilliams

dkhmwilliams Member
    Bronze

Just happened to me again today. They announced the Note 3 and the first thought I had was how much could I get for my iPhone? But I have to stay grounded. Because the truth is that I had the Note 2 and that didn't work out. And now I'm back.

Sent from the baddest smartphone on the planet, my smokin hot iPhone 5 in white!

6. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

It's even funnier to see forums full of Android owners "getting bored" with the phone they've had for a month and salivating over the next Android model coming out. Lather, rinse, repeat. And don't tell me it's not true. It Is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Hydrogen3

Hydrogen3 Member
    Bronze

8. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I hear you man! Stay put! Keep that iPhone 5! Instead, get one of these to calm the itch!

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1378320215.702740.jpg

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/personal/2013/09/04/live-Samsung-ifa-berlin/2762737/

9. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

10. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Oh yeah.... I guess you have a point there :D

11. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

You mean other than the one on my head? LOL

12. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

LOL!

13. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Remulak is calling.

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's pretty simple. People leave for bigger screens, when they hear about some of the features Androids have that iOS doesn't and when they decide they want more control and options such as customization. They come back when they realize iOS provided a better user experience for them and when they see some of the downfalls of Android.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Apple4me

Apple4me Evangelist
    Gold

Almost two years ago, I switched from iPhones to Android. First with the Galaxy Nexus and now with the Galaxy S4. I simply love the 5" screen size on the S4, it works great for these "older" eyes. I've also never experienced any issues with Android (like lag, viruses, etc..) that are supposedly prevalent in Android. To make a long story short, unless/until Apple comes out with a display in the 5" range, I will stock with Android. And I still own a Mac Pro, Macbook Pro Retina, iPad and multiple iPods, so I'm not anti-Apple or an Android fanboy.

16. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

I keep an up-to-date iPod to follow what's happening in the iWorld and am hoping that they release an update on the 10th.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

17. dkhmwilliams

dkhmwilliams Member
    Bronze

They may preview it on the 10th, but it may not be released until later.

Sent from the baddest smartphone on the planet, my smokin hot iPhone 5 in white!

18. verwon

verwon Evangelist
    Gold

I actually started out with other phones, my first smartphone was a Palm Treo, then the Palm Pre, then the HTC Evo.

I liked Palm, but releasing the Pre as chintzy plastic was their coffin nail.

And Android phones on Sprint are ridiculous, you get Android updates, then the carrier updates, they just roll in over top of each other, with no coordination or debugging, so you end up with a super slow phone that crashes easily.

Both the Pre and the Evo drove me crazy and I got tired of having to hack my phones to keep them usable.

I jumped to the 4S as soon as it was available and never looked back.

So, I understand why some switch away and back, because there are good things in other phone platforms, but the same ease of use and reliability eventually gets lost with many of them.

19. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

I agree with Chris. For me personally, I got bored with the iOS. I'm not sure exactly WHAT I want from the OS, but after a few weeks of it, I get bored with it.

I own an iPad Mini, and I simply do what I need to do on it, and don't really pay attention to the use of the OS. But, when I had an iPhone I always felt as if I wanted it to do more.

In particular, I've always wanted to manipulate the screens on the fly from the device easily. I only like the top row of icons on page one, thus fully seeing the wallpaper. It is so much easier to perform this feat on an Android device. iOS just seems to be so difficult UNLESS you connect to iTunes and do it there.

20. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I have my first screen blank. What's so hard about that?

One thing I don't like about my HTC One is when I delete an app from the middle of the screen, the rest of the apps don't automatically slide into place, filling any empty slots. I actually have to move each app manually until I get the holes filled. Too much unnecessary work.