Why does Apple cut corners?

Flyingstar

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
So. Cal
I got my replacement iPhone and in ONE day of very careful use the "chrome" bezzel is all scratched up. I never dropped or otherwise abused it in any way. Real chrome is VERY hard. What is THIS junk made of?

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
I got my replacement iPhone and in ONE day of very careful use the "chrome" bezzel is all scratched up. I never dropped or otherwise abused it in any way. Real chrome is VERY hard. What is THIS junk made of?
I know. It is pure cheap mal designed crap. Same as the reproduction of dark colors on the iPhone with the bargain screens they have slapped in all new iPhones. What can you expect, they are probably using one of the cheapest factories in China with little children assembling their products.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I know. It is pure cheap mal designed crap. Same as the reproduction of dark colors on the iPhone with the bargain screens they have slapped in all new iPhones. What can you expect, they are probably using one of the cheapest factories in China with little children assembling their products.
I do assume that was sarcasm?

- John

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
I do assume that was sarcasm?

- John
Well only the part about Kids assembling them. The new screens are of very poor quality and it can be seen when viewing black or other dark colors. Also the Chrome bezel as Op said is pure horrible quality. Everyone knows it is not real chrome and scratches so easy it was like it was made to be scratch prone & not scratch resistant. I guess Apple learned this wonderful design with the ipod as the backs of those are absolutely the worst material on any consumer electronics device, it's like they make them to get scratched really quick so people will want to replace them? I absolutely hate the chrome bezel and think it was a terrible design & of very poor quality.

Flyingstar

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
So. Cal
it would be just fine if it was REAL chrome! (Chrome is VERY scratch resistant)

chcorey52

Silver
Dec 25, 2007
Ya I would also love it if it didn't scratch so easily.....and yeah my ipod back isn't shiny at all anymore

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
The chrome bezel is steel with a chrome coating.

Its going to get scratched no matter how careful you are, its the nature of such things. Get a jewelers cloth and buff out the scratches or mod the bezel with steel wool for a brushed look.

I've had my iPhone for quite some time, and the scratches on the bezel just seem to become less of an eyesore the more scratches you get and the more they start to blend together and work at reflecing light.

I wouldn't call it poor quality, perhaps a poor design choice maybe, but good luck finding a dense enough material to facilitate the same purpose, adding structural integrity to the aluminum backing, lol.

chcorey52

Silver
Dec 25, 2007
Wait have you used steel wool with it?

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
at least they got one thing right which was the screen being pretty scratch resistant. imagine how bad it owuld be if the screen was like that of the older ipods such as the 5th gen regular ipods and 1st gen nanos... wow those got scratched just as easily as the chrome bezel... i went naked for months with my iPhone and not a single scratch!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
the way i see it, if the biggest thing we have to complain about is the bezel, they haven't cut THAT many corners.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Whether Apple cuts corners is a very "touchy" subject. To make money, Apple has to sell to specific demographics and income levels. To make the iPhone, I believe it was independently found to be no more than 200 dollars or so. The 300 dollar remainder is pure profit for Apple.

A Mac analog is the iMac and Mac Pro. Apple sells a very limited number of Mac Pros despite its inherent advantages over the iMac. Apple's bottom line does not depend on sales of the Mac Pro. Rather, bulk sales of the lower cost iMacs. If the iMacs appear too cheap to consumers, sales will drop.

Apple has to strike that middle ground between product quality and what the market is willing to bear.

Tarmac

Mar 29, 2008
I think I know the answer.

$$$