Why Does AT&T Automatically Turn on Cellular Data on the iPad Without Telling You?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Psyrix

Bronze
Jul 24, 2012
AT&T has nothing to do with this. It is an iOS feature. Verizon iPads do exactly the same thing. So you might want to take the post down and rewrite it with no mention of any cellular provider since they are not at fault.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
It probably does this because it needs to access the cellular data network (and thereforee report its ESN/IMEI/IMSI) to access the account for security reasons. And I agree, it is a bad idea for them to leave it on when exiting. Probably a bug that needs to be reported to the bug reporter. http://bugreport.apple.com/

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
AT&T has nothing to do with this. It is an iOS feature. Verizon iPads do exactly the same thing. So you might want to take the post down and rewrite it with no mention of any cellular provider since they are not at fault.
I'm not going to take the post down. I've updated it and submitted a bug report as Fury suggested.

Psyrix

Bronze
Jul 24, 2012
I didn't ask you to take it down. I suggested you should take it down and rewrite it properly. Instead you decided to simply make it easy on yourself and added a simple disclaimer/update at the bottom. Which in my opinion now makes your post completely useless since you had the chance to fix it properly and purposefully choose not to.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I didn't ask you to take it down. I suggested you should take it down and rewrite it properly. Instead you decided to simply make it easy on yourself and added a simple disclaimer/update at the bottom. Which in my opinion now makes your post completely useless since you had the chance to fix it properly and purposefully choose not to.
I'm not in the habit of taking a post down and rewriting it from scratch, as if it never happened. Instead, when it's warranted, I update them with pertinent information. Most readers seem to accept that, as it's a pretty standard practice for tech sites like mine. Sorry it doesn't meet your standards.

Psyrix

Bronze
Jul 24, 2012
Don't apologize to me. Apologize to the people that have to read a very inaccurate article where the disclaimer is just a few sentences that some people will never make it to.

Psyrix

Bronze
Jul 24, 2012
Obviously. You don't take researching your articles and information properly, why should anything else be different in your life?