Why does AT&T charge an activation fee for existing customers who upgrade?

ipod

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
It's non smartphone unlimited that's $10. I have 4 lines, 700 mins, free mobile to mobile, unlimited texts, 1 unlimited non smartphone data plan, 2 iPhone 2GB data plans, & my unlimited iPhone data plan & pay $195 per month. I've been with AT&T over 10 years since they were Cingular. If I called I'm sure they would waive my activation fee.
Wow I almost completely forgot about Cingular. I've been with them since the Cingular days as well. Wow, that was way back.

debbiep

Bronze
Mar 11, 2010
I too got hit with one of those scam texts. Called AT&T and it was taken off and blocked. Mine was when I was trying to access a coupon through my phone when shopping one day.

Like another poster, I've been getting my cable bill lowered for years now too. Just call and ask why and how can we lower it w/o losing me as a customer. It amazes me how often our cable bill goes up. I think the powers that be wake up one morning and decide more money is needed and just do it.

My philosophy is that asking isn't going to hurt and all that can be said is no. At that point have to decide if loyalty is worth the extra cost or is it time to walk away.

Now, to figure out all those added airline fees............

debbiep

Bronze
Mar 11, 2010
I too got hit with one of those scam texts. Called AT&T and it was taken off and blocked. Mine was when I was trying to access a coupon through my phone when shopping one day.

Like another poster, I've been getting my cable bill lowered for years now too. Just call and ask why and how can we lower it w/o losing me as a customer. It amazes me how often our cable bill goes up. I think the powers that be wake up one morning and decide more money is needed and just do it.

My philosophy is that asking isn't going to hurt and all that can be said is no. At that point have to decide if loyalty is worth the extra cost or is it time to walk away.

Now, to figure out all those added airline fees............

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Thanks for reminding me with this thread. I always call to negotiate this fee, and every time I've gotten it waived due to being a loyal customer. I just called them now, and got a lecture about them needing to recoup costs. But they still gave me the waiver.

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
I call comcast every time my bill goes up. Tell them im canceling unless i get the promo price back. Been doing this for 7 years successfuly. Why should I as the loyal customer pay more the longer I am with the company?
I had the same issue until I came across a rep that wouldn't budge and actually referred me to the cancellation department. Bad move on his part, not that the rep cared at the time until I cancelled 2 out 3 services and provided the services cancellation department his name. That was 2 years ago and I still get advertising crap from Comcast all the time.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
I paid $205 out the door for my wife's iPhone 5 at Walmart on lunch day.
It's the carrier that charges the fee not the retailer. And, wait till you see you first bill with the fee and prorated charges for activating the new phone out of your billing cycle.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
They didn't charge me an activation fee for some reason. They waved a month of service so I could upgrade to the iPhone5, but I was never promised that I wasn't gonna get charge for that too. I'm not complaining.

Jan 5, 2008
The problem I have with activation fee is price. The $36 is a bit extreme. When it was $18 it seemed a bit high as well & when they raised it they didn't just go up a couple bucks. I've had it waived before as well as a ton of fees that me & my kids have accidentally or not accidentally accrued.
my daughters line was charged $40! had to fight with them!

Jan 5, 2008
It has nothing to do with activating or registering with the FCC. It's purely about grabbing more money when subsidizing, without having to raise the price of the phone itself. When you buy your phone outright and switch your SIM card to it, there's no activation fee. Expect more fees like this to seep in as time goes on as they want to get rid of their loyal customers and replace them with profitable ones.

correct! I have 2 grandfathered unlimited data plans from the original time I signed up with ATT and bought my first blackberry and my daughters first phone. they hate me! they are always trying to trick me into tweaking my plan to save money , which almost ALWAYS nullifies my data plan ,as is! so, they have a hard time waiving the fees on my account! my daughters iphone was charged a $40 upgrade to the 6 a few months ago! they would not waive it!!

Jan 5, 2008
correct! I have 2 grandfathered unlimited data plans from the original time I signed up with ATT and bought my first blackberry and my daughters first phone. they hate me! they are always trying to trick me into tweaking my plan to save money , which almost ALWAYS nullifies my data plan ,as is! so, they have a hard time waiving the fees on my account! my daughters iphone was charged a $40 upgrade to the 6 a few months ago! they would not waive it!!