Why does everyone want cut and paste so badly?

bigviking

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I just have to ask. Why does everyone want cut and paste so badly ? No offense implied, I just don't get it. The only time I wanted it was during the first five minutes after I got my iPhone home and it would have been nice to go to a webpage through Edge and cut and paste my very long WPA key into the setup page.

Can anyone provide some practical reasons why they want cut and paste ?

I'm sure there are some good reasons, I just would like to know what they are.

For me, I would rather have A2DP (stereo bluetooth).

Scottshotz

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
for me itd be to put order numbers from my email into safari, going back and forth to remember the number kinda sux. Especially when one of the programs resets in the middle of it.

brianlamar

Bronze
Aug 6, 2007
a lot of reasons, first;

1. When someone sends you an address via text or email you have to remember the entire address to put to google maps to get directions.

2. Phone numbers sent via text or email

3. copy and pasting an important text to notes indefinitely (maybe, instructions or numbers you may need to remember) since we can't save all of our text messages.

4. Basic needs like taking a piece of a message and resending it to someone else.

5. Because its a $400 phone and it should have every feature we need and don't need because its the best phone on the market.

6. Since we don't have mms, you have to remember that stupid ID and password instead of copy and pasting.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I just have to ask. Why does everyone want cut and paste so badly ? No offense implied, I just don't get it. The only time I wanted it was during the first five minutes after I got my iPhone home and it would have been nice to go to a webpage through Edge and cut and paste my very long WPA key into the setup page.

OMG, I hope this is a joke.

Let's see...
* I want to copy text from a Webpage to paste into another Webpage for a Google search.

* I need to go from With copy-and-paste comes text selection: instead of sitting there deleting 52 characters I could just select the text I don't want and delete it.

* I want to copy directions I got from an SMS message into a contact's note.

* I want to copy a phone number that is not highlighted for iPhone use into a contact.

* I want to copy an address from one contact to another.

* I want to copy Google Maps directions into an SMS message, or email message.

* I want to respond to a long email, with inline quoting, and don't want to hold the backspace key down for 5 minutes to delete the unwanted text. Being able to select text would be much easier.

* I want to paste a username into a Webpage.

* I want to paste a tracking number into a Website.

Do I really need to continue?

--
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Some features are more important than others, depending on your individual uses.

Personally, I'm looking forward to copy/paste. Stuff like texting multiple people or bluetooth transfer mean squat to me.

Eventually they (Apple) will catch up with everything that everybody wants.

snowcrash

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007

I understand what you are saying. I would like "copy and paste" VERY much but I would rather have a "save attachment" option or a "saved folder" for pop accounts so I can move important emails I need to access often. But as people stated its all what you need most. Also a "save" from Safari would be nice as well. But most important to me would be a save attachment type of thing.

That said, I still would love a copy/paste function. For most of the reasons already listed.

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
I'm sort of neutral on it. Had my phone since iDay and probably have wanted to copy/paste maybe a dozen times or so. But even then it was more in the nice not necessary category. Just taken a little longer to do what I wanted to. Sure it would be great to have it but is far from a deal breaker or irritant. It seems many are more wanting to use it as a mini computer. I'm not writing gospel and epistle emails on it nor is it my primary web surfing Mac.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I would almost say it's the ability to select text that I want, as much if not more than copy and paste.

--
Mike

jwhcowan

Jul 5, 2007
SMS to Many workaround?

I would like it for many of the above reasons.... AND:

So I can sent an SMS to multiple people, without having to re-type the same damn information! Imagine that!

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Can we make this topic a bannable offense now?

It's as bad as the mac vs pc debate, it only takes one person to set the dominoes in motion.

Matt Random

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
On an antiquated forum I frequent people often type a URL instead of using the provided fields. I need c&p to check out the link.

NateEssex

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
NJ
Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Some features are more important than others, depending on your individual uses.

Personally, I'm looking forward to copy/paste. Stuff like texting multiple people or bluetooth transfer mean squat to me.
Ditto. Copy/paste is big. A simple tap and drag to highlight & then double tap to bring up a contextual menu to copy.

BTW, I REALLY need a password app like SplashID ;)

ciaran00

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Because our lives are complicated

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Simple, every other smart phone has it, and it's very useful. A true time saver. One of the most basic functions that Apple failed to include. Just what were they thinking?

They weren't.......and that's why they had to cut the price to try and save the iPhone from becoming extinct. They do not have the ability to create a good marketing plan, so when all else fails, do like the American Auto Makers......cut the price, give em away!

After all, it's just a phone. Static and all.

snowcrash

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Simple, every other smart phone has it
That's actually not true. A lot don't have it. Take for example the Motorola Q. That only had it "after" a 3rd party install. There are a lot of other smart phones out there that don't have it. The BB's and a lot of WM devices with touch screens have it but i wouldn't go as far as saying "every other smart phone has it" because that isn't true. And even the ones that do its not a native app, a lot of the time its some 3rd party app.

xSoNiCcRaCkErSx

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
LOL! I seriously rolled on the floor laughing at this topic... WOW just WOW.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
That's actually not true. A lot don't have it. Take for example the Motorola Q. That only had it "after" a 3rd party install. There are a lot of other smart phones out there that don't have it. The BB's and a lot of WM devices with touch screens have it but i wouldn't go as far as saying "every other smart phone has it" because that isn't true. And even the ones that do its not a native app, a lot of the time its some 3rd party app.
Every touchscreen phone I have owned had c&p, and had it natively (WinMob and Palm). WinCE had it since day-one and so did Palm OS.

The iPhone needs to have it too. Yesterday I had to actually right down a number in order to copy and paste it into a Website. Absurd, IMNSHO.

--
Mike

agent0064life

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
I'm a forum fiend and thereforee need link copy and pasting ability along with quoting sites.

snowcrash

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Every touchscreen phone I have owned had c&p, and had it natively (WinMob and Palm). WinCE had it since day-one and so did Palm OS.

The iPhone needs to have it too. Yesterday I had to actually right down a number in order to copy and paste it into a Website. Absurd, IMNSHO.
True that every touchscreen phone has one (well at least ones i've used), but not every smart phone. wasn't trying to start an argument or a debate just saying that there are MANY PDA/Smartphones out there that don't have it. Yeah I want it as well, it would be a great addition, but I also cant knock Apple for not having it because like I said there are other psa/smartphones that don't and they still work well.

iHuman

Bronze
Dec 16, 2006
Hells Kitchen, New York City
Simple, every other smart phone has it, and it's very useful. A true time saver. One of the most basic functions that Apple failed to include. Just what were they thinking?

They weren't.......and that's why they had to cut the price to try and save the iPhone from becoming extinct. They do not have the ability to create a good marketing plan, so when all else fails, do like the American Auto Makers......cut the price, give em away!

After all, it's just a phone. Static and all.
Seriously? Apple doesn't have a good marketing plan? How about the fact that all of the advertising and hype about this phone for close to 5 months was free. Apple has a great marketing scheme an we all took a huge bite.

1 million phones sold in 74 days? Horrible marketing plan... Hit your goal, then drop the price (still making a profit) and sell a million more... Sounds crazy

Not having Copy/Paste option effects a very small % of the people that have this phone, that's why they've sold over 1 million.