Why does iOS 8 require 5.7GB of space to install?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Sravanikishore, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Sravanikishore

Bronze

What the hell with iOS 8 its software needs 5.7 gb available space if we delete all apps and data whats the use of using a mobile. Already apple gives only 14 gb for 16 gb phone now still less???

#1 Sravanikishore, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2014
  2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The file size isn't that big. It just requires that much space to install the update. You can workaround this problem by using iTunes on a computer to update. That method doesn't require as much free space.

3. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

It needs 5.7 gb of to install once it is installed it takes up less than 2 gb. If you don't have enough space on your phone you can do it through the computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Sravanikishore

Bronze

Fine thank you both of you. I don't have a lappy now, but want to update so deleted some apps and installing. But if it occupies more space than previous ones, it a waste for sure.

#4 Sravanikishore, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2014
  5. B89rent89

B89rent89 Member
    Bronze

IOS8 on my iPad Air required 6.8 GB available to install. I freed up that space and installed successfully. When I was done I then had 7.0 GB of free space.

Sent from my iPad using iCafe Forums

6. Terrycharge

Terrycharge New Member

Try some 3rd party software to clean up your iPhone so as to free up more space because I heard many users said it's not enough to deleting pictures, music or videos. Macgo iPhone Cleaner for Mac is a good choice and really works for me.

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

After installation, iOS 8 takes an additional 700 mb or so of storage on my 5. I have about 4.4 gb available out of 12.7 mb.

8. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Apple has removed most "cleaner" apps from the App Store. They didn't like how those apps did what they did. They basically expanded to fill up the device's storage space, pushing out cache from apps like Facebook. You can achieve the same result by deleting the apps and installing them back.

9. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

There are several threads on this topic alone. I'm very against any sort of cleaner app on the iPhone. As there are ways to manage your data through the phone without having to use any third-party tool. Why install unnecessary apps on your phone? You could just as easily delete pictures, music, and videos without software.

10. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Having to delete an app to get rid of excess cache is a pain. Using an app like C M Security actually is helpful. I still have it and use it for deleting cache from apps. I don't use the RAM feature though. iOS does a good job of managing RAM. Apps like Facebook need an option in the app to delete cache. I checked my Wife's phone recently, and Facebook was up over 500 mb. That's ridiculous and tough on a 16 gb phone like mine. TapaTalk grows real fast, but it has a delete cache option. Box has a delete cache option but Dropbox does not. C M Security deletes the excess cache from Dropbox. I've not experienced any ill affects from using C M Security.

11. Terrycharge

Terrycharge New Member

This is not an app installed on iPhone, instead, it's an cleaning tool running on Mac. You need connect your iPhone or iPad with Mac so as to perform the clean action. Besides, there's no other choice to clean the cache files existing in your iPhone.

12. vice885

vice885 New Member

Eropa is right, the iOS 8 package is not as big as 5 GB, it just requires so much free storage to install it. For an 8 GB or 16 GB iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, updating to iOS 8 via iTunes is better than updating over the air. At least, they needn't delete anything can be deleted to spare storage for installing iOS 8.

13. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I had to delete some apps. Put photos in Box and Dropbox. Afterwards, I downloaded my apps back. No problems.