Why does iOS 8 require 5.7GB of space to install?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Oct 31, 2011
What the hell with iOS 8 its software needs 5.7 gb available space if we delete all apps and data whats the use of using a mobile. Already apple gives only 14 gb for 16 gb phone now still less???

Last edited by a moderator:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
The file size isn't that big. It just requires that much space to install the update. You can workaround this problem by using iTunes on a computer to update. That method doesn't require as much free space.

Docd

Contributor
Silver
Oct 16, 2011
It needs 5.7 gb of to install once it is installed it takes up less than 2 gb. If you don't have enough space on your phone you can do it through the computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 31, 2011
Fine thank you both of you. I don't have a lappy now, but want to update so deleted some apps and installing. But if it occupies more space than previous ones, it a waste for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

B89rent89

Bronze
Sep 19, 2012
IOS8 on my iPad Air required 6.8 GB available to install. I freed up that space and installed successfully. When I was done I then had 7.0 GB of free space.

Sent from my iPad using iCafe Forums

Sep 19, 2014
Try some 3rd party software to clean up your iPhone so as to free up more space because I heard many users said it's not enough to deleting pictures, music or videos. Macgo iPhone Cleaner for Mac is a good choice and really works for me.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Try some 3rd party software to clean up your iPhone so as to free up more space because I heard many users said it's not enough to deleting pictures, music or videos. Macgo iPhone Cleaner for Mac is a good choice and really works for me.
Apple has removed most "cleaner" apps from the App Store. They didn't like how those apps did what they did. They basically expanded to fill up the device's storage space, pushing out cache from apps like Facebook. You can achieve the same result by deleting the apps and installing them back.

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
There are several threads on this topic alone. I'm very against any sort of cleaner app on the iPhone. As there are ways to manage your data through the phone without having to use any third-party tool. Why install unnecessary apps on your phone? You could just as easily delete pictures, music, and videos without software.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
There are several threads on this topic alone. I'm very against any sort of cleaner app on the iPhone. As there are ways to manage your data through the phone without having to use any third-party tool. Why install unnecessary apps on your phone? You could just as easily delete pictures, music, and videos without software.
Having to delete an app to get rid of excess cache is a pain. Using an app like C M Security actually is helpful. I still have it and use it for deleting cache from apps. I don't use the RAM feature though. iOS does a good job of managing RAM. Apps like Facebook need an option in the app to delete cache. I checked my Wife's phone recently, and Facebook was up over 500 mb. That's ridiculous and tough on a 16 gb phone like mine. TapaTalk grows real fast, but it has a delete cache option. Box has a delete cache option but Dropbox does not. C M Security deletes the excess cache from Dropbox. I've not experienced any ill affects from using C M Security.

Sep 19, 2014
This is not an app installed on iPhone, instead, it's an cleaning tool running on Mac. You need connect your iPhone or iPad with Mac so as to perform the clean action. Besides, there's no other choice to clean the cache files existing in your iPhone.

vice885

Sep 22, 2014
Chengdu
Eropa is right, the iOS 8 package is not as big as 5 GB, it just requires so much free storage to install it. For an 8 GB or 16 GB iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, updating to iOS 8 via iTunes is better than updating over the air. At least, they needn't delete anything can be deleted to spare storage for installing iOS 8.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Eropa is right, the iOS 8 package is not as big as 5 GB, it just requires so much free storage to install it. For an 8 GB or 16 GB iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, updating to iOS 8 via iTunes is better than updating over the air. At least, they needn't delete anything can be deleted to spare storage for installing iOS 8.
I had to delete some apps. Put photos in Box and Dropbox. Afterwards, I downloaded my apps back. No problems.