Why does music play through speaker with mute switch on?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cluemeister, Apr 14, 2008.

1. cluemeister

cluemeister New Member

I was recently in a situation where I had to mute my iPhone, as silence was essential. I flipped the mute switch, double checked it, and put my phone in my pocket, face in.

About 15 minutes later, I hear music playing. I scowl at my wife, and whisper to her that she should have shut off her phone. She tells me it's not her phone. I reach into my pocket, and with a feeling of dread, pull out the iPhone, and notice that my iPhone is playing music.

Apparently, the home button got double pressed, (along with the play arrow on the screen) and the ipod started playing music.

The mute switch does not mute the speaker, just the ringer apparently. That doesn't make any sense to me.

Has this happened to anyone else?

2. petalmom

petalmom New Member
    Silver

I feel your pain it happened to me in church (another thread about that!)

Next time turn the volume all the way down too :)

3. Marianne

Marianne Zealot

actually, this isn't a "mute" switch, it's a ring/silent switch, according to the iPhone's user guide. it's intended to silence the ringer only, and still allows alarms set via the clock application to play, as well as music or video, as you've found.

what you've described hasn't happened to me - i usually hit the sleep/wake button on the top before putting my iPhone in my purse or pocket so the screen doesn't get pressed accidentally.

#3 Marianne, Apr 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2013
  4. cluemeister

cluemeister New Member

I think this is a clear oversight on Apple's part. The mute switch should mute the speaker. If I want to silence just my ringer, I can go into settings and set my ringer to vibrate only.

To totally silence my phone under the current system, I have to first go into my music, and then turn the volume down with the rocker switch or slider, because when you're in the home screen, the volume control is for the ringer, not the music.

I go into meetings all the time. Is Apple telling me I need to go into music, turn down my speaker volume all the way and then flip the mute switch on my phone?

Understand, I love my iPhone. I have a house full of mac stuff. Apple prides itself on ease of use and intuitive interface. A physical mute switch is essential for quick "all off" and "all on" functionality.

5. scudder

scudder Member
    Bronze

The touch screen design was supposed to stop accidental activation of any function unless it is in contact with certain material, i.e. your skin! It should not be activated in a purse or pocket unless the material is so thin your leg touches the screen. I suggest turning it away from your body in a pocket and it wont happen again. What are the probabilities of the home button being pushed twice in quick succession and then the play button, pretty low I would suggest.

6. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Yeah I'm still trying to imagine how you pulled that one off without knowing it.

7. ColsTiger

ColsTiger Zealot
    Gold

You phone was in your pocket and somehow the home button was double-clicked and also somehow you tapped the play button on the ipod controls? I'll bet pickpockets love you. :D

8. cluemeister

cluemeister New Member

I think some are missing the point. The sound not only comes out in music with mute switch enabled, but in clock alarms as well.

Here's what happens with button switched on (orange button visible), but volume at regular level:

Ringer - vibrate only
    Calendar alerts - vibrate only
    Clock alerts - vibrate and sound
    Music - sound plays

Can anyone tell me why the mute button should not turn off the speaker?

9. Marianne

Marianne Zealot

no, i think you are the one who is missing the point. it's NOT a mute button, it's a ring/silent switch. period.

you should submit feedback to Apple if you want them to consider changing this in the future - here's a link to do so...

10. cluemeister

cluemeister New Member

I guess I was looking for opinions on whether others thought this feature should be changed. It's clear you don't agree.

11. Lincoln

Lincoln New Member
    Gold

I don't think she's saying she disagrees, but simply pointing out that the switch in question is a ring/silent switch, not intended to mute the entire phone. You can submit feedback to Apple, and in the future, simply open the iPod, play a song, turn the volume all the way down, stop the song, and lock the phone. No more volume.

- John

12. psylichon

psylichon Genius

To sum up: It's an issue that needs to be addressed, however it is not technically a design flaw.

13. Marianne

Marianne Zealot

i, admittedly, get hung up on semantics every now and then. here, the issue for me was the interpretation of that toggle as a mute switch versus how Apple officially defines it.

regardless, i don't think it's a design flaw, per se. iirc, this switch works just the way the one on my treo worked, so there were no surprises for me when using it. then again, i haven't experienced unexpected and unwelcome sound from my iPhone in a situation where it would be a a faux pas. i hereby reserve the right to change my outlook if/when that happens. :D

14. cluemeister

cluemeister New Member

macgirl,

thanks for the feedback link. I have sent feedback to Apple. As to the treo, I owned a 650, and if memory serves, that toggle switch shut off the speaker, not just the ringer.

15. monkeysrock0622

Gold

i actually prefer it this way. i often listen to music but like it to vibrate when i listen to the ipod.

16. cluemeister

cluemeister New Member

macgirl,

I followed up with two treo 650 owners today regarding the volume switch. Both told me the mute switch shuts off all speaker activity. That's probably why I was surprised to hear music and alerts coming out of the iPhone after flipping the switch, as I was a former treo owner.

17. Marianne

Marianne Zealot

i must be wrong - i had a treo 680 for about 6 months before i got my iPhone (and that thing drove me nuts with its instability!) and i loved how useful that switch was. i had a treo 600 a few years ago, but i don't recall if that one had the same silent toggle. my main concern is just to make sure my phone doesn't ring when i don't want it to, mostly in movie theaters and and at work...

18. Sjoannef

Sjoannef New Member

I found this thread trying to find a way to do exactly his on my iPhone 4. I didn't play music from my pocket but I have been playing music, then surfed the web, then my office phone rang. It was riduculously unwieldy to navigate back to music so I could pause or turn down the music. Is there really no better way to quickly mute the entire phone?!

19. Darri

Darri New Member

The weedy mute but annoys me too. In what situations would users want their phone to blare out music or video but mute the ringer? Err, maybe while listening to music? Well the music would get interrupted by the call anyway, so not that. In most cases if users want the ringer turned off then they're in a quiet environment, so want every last sound coming from the phone muted. What if they're in the library and want to watch a sneaky YouTube video? Tough luck.
    Apple listen up. Add a page in the settings app with options for the mute button.
    Mute button affects:
    • all sounds (default)
    • audio & video
    • ringer
    • alarm
    • calendar alerts
    Be nice for volume buttons to work this way too.

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The mute button works exactly how I want it to right now. It mutes all notifications and calls while still letting the alarm clock sound. You are in control of the iPod music and videos. They are not something that will suddenly start playing on their own and disturb you when you need a quiet environment like an incoming text or phone call would. It's already set up perfectly, they don't need to change a thing, IMO.