Why does my camera roll file look like this?

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by iErik, Aug 26, 2015.

1. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

Hi everyone. This ones has had me perplexed for a while so I figured it was time to ask around. I've had this issue since my iPhone 5. I always figured it was a side effect of jailbreaking but when I got the 6 and set up as a new phone the issue has arisen again even on the clean phone.

I've always been used to plugging my phone into my computer and having all the photos from the camera roll in one file ... usually Computer\Erik's iPhone 6\Internal Storage\DCIM and then there would be one file with all the camera roll photos. Now there are seventeen files. Some have a few photos in them, some have a lot. They seem to be in no particular order, too.

Anyone know why this is happening? Is it supposed to be doing this?

Thanks for the help.

cameraroll.jpg

2. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I can't say why but my iPhone 6 does the same thing, also the iPhone 5 that I had. I'm sure there is some reason behind the different folders but I'll be darned if I can figure it out. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with time, date or location of the photo. My phone is stock and not jail broken so your guess is as good as mine.

3. digitalcuriosity

Bronze

Same here it sure shocked me coming from an Android Samsung III phone,that had a simple file tree with a place for pictures in tree.
    When i first plugged my Apple iPhone6 in to computer and found all them random folders, i just had no idea what it was all about.
    All i know i don't like the their system. and finding out as with my old Apple iPhone4 before the Samsung, i can't copy and paste computer files into my iPhone6, i have to use iTunes that does not work well for me,or one of two App.s AirMore a free App. or Airshare $3.99 found in the Apple Store.
    Files from my iPhone6 i just e-mail them to myself and download them to computer.
    Thats one item the Android system has it over Apples.

4. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

Ok, I guess this is the norm now. Thanks, guys. It used to be just one file; not sure why it would change.

5. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I have Applecare+ on my iPhone 6, maybe I'll call them and ask how the folders are named and how it is determined what photos/videos go where and why.

6. digitalcuriosity

Bronze

Keep us advised to what you find,and what you think about Applecare.

7. besweeet

besweeet Contributor
    Silver

Here's what it looks like on my 6+ (8.4):
    [​IMG]

I'd like to know why multiple folders come up as well.

8. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

My 5 doesn't show media like that. Is that in Settings?

#8 Ledsteplin, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  9. besweeet

besweeet Contributor
    Silver

That app is iFile (from Cydia).

10. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

OK. I'm not jailbroken.

11. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I Googled it and many others see the same.

12. digitalcuriosity

Bronze

So i take it no matter what App. you use, it just keeps showing where Apple has their files,so it really does not offer any real help.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's always been this way. I noticed it on my first iPhone in 2008. Music also looks unorganized/non-alphabetical in the file system and has random actual file names. I'll post screenshots below to show this. To the end user, Apple's method of cataloging songs and pictures has no apparent organization when viewed in these file system folders. It doesn't really matter because Apple doesn't intend for them to be viewed or accessed by users this way. Music is organized through the iTunes app, so those folders are never visible to the user (unless you jailbreak and get into the file system) and the photos folders don't come up when using the regular methods of importing photos to a Mac or PC.

image.jpg image.jpg

14. besweeet

besweeet Contributor
    Silver

You can restore to get the folder structure back in order. Only one of your photo folders should actually have content in them. Unless each one represents an album? (I'm not entirely sure as I don't keep any photos stored on my device.)

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No, it does not represent an album. Restoring is completely unnecessary. As soon as you start taking/saving pictures, they will be thrown into multiple folders again. This is how Apple organizes photos and you can't change it. Importing them through the normal methods on a Mac or PC won't bring up these folders, so it's a non-issue for most people.

16. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

Wow, I could've sworn all photos used to be in just one folder. I used to use the feature a lot before the photo stream started. Now the photo stream on my computer is jacked up so I started using this method again and it's really starting to get aggravating since there's not rhyme or reason to the structure.

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Which version of Windows are you using?

18. besweeet

besweeet Contributor
    Silver

Define "normal methods," particularly on the PC/Windows side of things. When viewing through Explorer, it just pulls folders out of DCIM, so you would see all of the extra ones.

Restoring will bring things back down to a single folder.

19. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

Windows 7.

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Like I said, as soon as you start taking photos, they will be stored/organized throughout multiple folders. Restoring is completely pointless and won't change the way Apple organizes photos.

On a Mac, you can use the Photos app, Apeture or Image Capture. There are a few ways to do it on a PC as well. I'm a Mac user now, but I used this method when I had a PC:

image.jpg