Why does my camera roll file look like this?

besweeet

Contributor
Silver
Jun 7, 2009
San Antonio, TX
briansweet.me
Like I said, as soon as you start taking photos, they will be stored/organized throughout multiple folders. Restoring is completely pointless and won't change the way Apple organizes photos.

On a Mac, you can use the Photos app, Apeture or Image Capture. There are a few ways to do it on a PC as well. I'm a Mac user now, but I used this method when I had a PC:

View attachment 42742
Photos aren't handled like music. They aren't just spread across many folders then put together properly by the OS. Go to "open device to view files" to basically view /var/mobile/Media/DCIM/.

If the OP restored from scratch, there will only be one folder.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Photos aren't handled like music. They aren't just spread across many folders then put together properly by the OS. Go to "open device to view files" to basically view /var/mobile/Media/DCIM/.

If the OP restored from scratch, there will only be one folder.
You aren't understanding what I'm saying. Once you start accumulating photos, new folders will appear.
image.jpg

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
And the new folders won't appear immediately. It may take months before a new one is made, rendering previous ones obsolete.
The previous ones are NOT obsolete. I have three folders of photos and none of them are duplicates.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Interesting. My screenshot on page one, 100APPLE-105APPLE are empty. 106APE is the only one with any content.
Didn't you say you don't have many photos? I have a few hundred and three folders of photos and videos (no duplicates).

You do not have to delete every photo or restore to factory settings. Just import the new ones with one of the methods I posted. It doesn't matter how many folders there are if you import them that way.

besweeet

Contributor
Silver
Jun 7, 2009
San Antonio, TX
briansweet.me
Didn't you say you don't have many photos? I have a few hundred and three folders of photos and videos (no duplicates).

You do not have to delete every photo or restore to factory settings. Just import the new ones with one of the methods I posted. It doesn't matter how many folders there are if you import them that way.
Right. Though I was able to delete 100APPLE-105APPLE just fine. New photos are placed in 106.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Right. Though I was able to delete 100APPLE-105APPLE just fine. New photos are placed in 106.
The OS will recreate new folders as soon as it needs them (when/if your camera roll size increases).

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
It's always been this way. I noticed it on my first iPhone in 2008. Music also looks unorganized/non-alphabetical in the file system and has random actual file names. I'll post screenshots below to show this. To the end user, Apple's method of cataloging songs and pictures has no apparent organization when viewed in these file system folders. It doesn't really matter because Apple doesn't intend for them to be viewed or accessed by users this way. Music is organized through the iTunes app, so those folders are never visible to the user (unless you jailbreak and get into the file system) and the photos folders don't come up when using the regular methods of importing photos to a Mac or PC.

View attachment 42739 View attachment 42741
I called Apple Care and they said pretty much the same thing as Europa. The method used for organizing photos is the same one used for every other camera device be it a phone, or still camera. This is for purposes of interchangeability between devices since all devices use the same standards for storing images. For a better explanation see this link "http://www.techhive.com/article/217111/dcim_folder.html". A Google search will yield even more detailed info. In short it is what it is and I guess we all just need to learn to deal with it.

Last edited:

digitalcuriosity

Bronze
Nov 9, 2012
I knew apple had their reasons but just did not understand what they were,now we have the answer. But it seems to me the Android devices have a much better way of storing the picture files.